EAST COAST FRIENDS

Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by SharBear
Keeping television off - we will check weather tonight and again tomorrow but the hype and drama just make me crazy.
Probably a good move! I was reflecting this morning how the media just makes everyone crazy with the sort of coverage they do. I think it is their frenzy to fill the airways 24/7 with something - ANYTHING - to make people watch.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Perhaps this would be a good time to take up hand quilting. Seriously, though, prayers for safety for you all.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Keeping television off - we will check weather tonight and again tomorrow but the hype and drama just make me crazy.
Probably a good move! I was reflecting this morning how the media just makes everyone crazy with the sort of coverage they do. I think it is their frenzy to fill the airways 24/7 with something - ANYTHING - to make people watch.
Totally agree. The media seems to be good a making mountains out of mole hills. Then again, it never hurts to be prepared and safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM

We're in Central NJ - between ocean and Del. River. Hopefully it won't be too bad. They have upgraded us from hurricane 'watch' to 'warning' now. DH and I are both involved with local fire company so will prbably both be busy from Sat. night on with feeding and sheltering folks as well as making sure our own homes are safe. DH checked generator last night. As long as we can plug the sump pump in I'm a happy camper. Otherwise the table saw will be floating across the basement. Last time we had a major storm -not hurricane- the dogs were swimming in the back yard in water up to my thighs. We have a creek behind us that normally is only ankle deep but with the rain that we've had over the last couple of weeks it will only be a matter of a couple of hours before that rises as well. We have a commercial property as well, adjacent to our home, that, again, with just a heavy storm the water runs in the back doors of the buildings and out the front. Hurricane Floyd was more than a challenge a few years ago. And this is predicted to be worse. Here's hoping we keep our heads above water.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Put your sewing machine high on a shelf in case of flooding. Or take it with you if you are evacuating. So sorry for you guys. God bless.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM

HOPE everyone in harms way stays safe and gets thru this with mimamal damage. We were in the path of hurricane Charlie back in 2004 and had dammage to our roof. also several days with no electric. Not fun. Here's hoping the best for all involved!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm in coastal Rhode Island. Have stocked up on supplies. If you hadn't gotten batteries by last night you are going to have a hard time finding them. This one feels different. Keeping television off - we will check weather tonight and again tomorrow but the hype and drama just make me crazy. This is the first storm of it's type for my boys - ages 9 and 10. They have been awesome! Want to know how to be prepared so one gathered all flashlights to a central location and the other one inventoried batteries and made me a list so we knew what we have and what we needed. Today we'll secure everything from the yard and store it in the shed.
What great kids you have!!
Then we're gonna hunker down and play board games!

Be safe and smart!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM

I'm watching the weather here in WI & hoping all goes well this weekend & no one gets hurts. Thoughts go out to everyone along the east cst, be safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Thank you for the well wishes, I have to say I am scared to death. We were also a victim of Isabel when she came thru here a few yrs back. Irene is suppose to hit us here in VA and I'm not looking forward to it. I live in Newport News and yes, we're going to get it. I know we're going to be w/o power but I won't know for how long. I also have surgery on Monday to boot! :| :thumbdown:
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM

I am praying for all of you in the Hurricane area. I lived in Houston many years and lived through several. It is no fun and not to be under estimated. May all of you be safe and your property be protected.
It would be wonderful if God would just take His hand and move the whole thing out to sea. God bless all of you.