Eggies?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Once I went to the website & watched 5 seconds of the commercial, I remembered this.

I will just stick to my boil it for 10 minutes, then drain the eggs & put them into an ice bath for a couple of methods.

for boiling, I like my Henrietta: http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-SEC-2...2122640&sr=8-6
I wouldn't bother with them either except my cousin wanted them since her stroke and, since I'm supposed to not eat real eggs anymore BUT love hard boiled eggs, I think they'll come in handy.
Love you Henrietta!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 AM

"Eggies", they crack me up.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 PM

With all due respect people, this is nothing new. This cooking technique has existed for over a hundred years. It is called egg coddling. Egg coddlers are cookware that are used to coddle eggs and have existed for a very long time. Traditionally, the egg is cooked to a soft boiled status, but are cooked to hardboiled status as well as adding herbs, spices, cheese, meat or other ingredients.

Egg coddlers are traditionally made of china or other similar material with a metal lid. They are placed in a pan of water and the water is brought to a boil on the stove or in the oven. They are also placed in a dry pan with water already at boiling point poured over them and allowed to sit until cooked to the desired doneness.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM

yeap my dh bought them and yes u have to spray them every time and they come out with the flat bottoms , think he is pretty pleased with his purchase , takes less time to spray than to peel. I used them and forgot to spray we just used a butter knife and when around the outside of the egg and they came out..... would we buy them again , probably
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM

saw them at the dollar store in ky
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 PM

I just bought my daughter some yesterday. She tried it but forgot to spray them first so they did stick. But she seemed to be happy enough with them. She said she did something else wrong and they ended up cooking upside down. Now I wish I would have listened better. But my DGD gobbled them up!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 PM

A local tv station does a try it before you buy it segment and the other day it was the eggies...looked like a lot of extra steps, a mess and results were not pleasing. The person that was trying it gave it 2 thumbs down.....
Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
QM
Power Poster

Those are simply a version of egg coddlers, which the Brits have had for a century or so. I just gave mine away, since I have not used them lately. Mine were from an English ceramics co. Yes, they do work. I used them primarily for flavored eggs, adding herbs and spices.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:20 AM

I think the think that makes the eggies popular is that you can do it in the microwave, wash them out and throw them in a drawer when done.

I wouldn't put fancy egg coddlers are in the microwave or thrown them in a drawer, where do you find them anyway?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 AM

My DH wants to buy them to make deviled eggs but I told him mo. How do you make the deviled eggs shown in the commercials? Do you have to dig the yolk out after it cooks in the Eggies? or are they cooked separately? However it's done it just looks like more work, and more dishes to wash. Whenever I boil eggs some shells come off easy and some don't, but it's never bothered me all that much. I think it depends on how fresh the eggs are and I find the fresher ones are the more difficult. Anyway, the eggs that come out the shells nice and pretty are used for deviled eggs, the others wind up as egg salad.