Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Elm Creek Quilts

Elm Creek Quilts

I'm finally starting the books. When Sarah sees Mrs. Comson's little sewing machine and asks if she can sew on that little thing, do you think it was a Featherweight? She said it was a model they no longer make...

Blog Entries
    I read several of the series and thoroughly enjoyed them. Apparently, there are 24 books in the series https://www.goodreads.com/series/40596-elm-creek-quilts . Do you know the setting time frame of the one you are reading? That might give a clue to the type of machine.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Wonderful reads, all of them. Try to read them in order if you can, they reference back to other books and it's so cool to see the story progress down the years thru the quilters. My local library had many of them.

I love these books. I agree, reading them in order is the best. Enjoy!
    KnitnNan

"The Quilter's Apprentice" is the book that got me interested in quilting.

I have read several of the books. I purchased the "Traditions From Elm Creek Quilts" book by Jennifer that has 13 projects to piece & applique. I never even got around to putting my name in it let alone making any of the quilts. If you want to send me a PM, I am happy to send it to you. Quilted blessings. Kathy

Blog Entries
    I keep re-reading these books. Mostly because I'm trying to read them in order and by the time I manage to find the next book, I've lost the thread of the earlier ones, so start again. I should soon have them memorized. Good thing they're enjoyable stories.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I read the entire series last winter and thoroughly enjoyed all of the books. I agree with others that it's best to start with the first book - 'The Quilter's Apprentice' and continue in chronological order. Such a richly developed storyline that extends over generations and across the country.
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I too have enjoyed the books. I'm not ready to make a "Sylvia's Wedding Sampler" though!!
    Alyce

Me too, me too. I love the books and miss all of the friends I have made between the covers of each book. I do have a favorite and I bet others do too. For me, it is the Aloha Quilt. My library has many of them on CD and I can listen and quilt for hours and hours at a time. Stretch out to some of Jennifer Chiaverini's historic novels. I found them to be a delight to read and historically accurate.

Having read all the Elm Creek books, I would say it was highly likely that it was a Featherweight, but that is just my opinion, it never really says.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Love the series and have made several blocks but a quilt not yet.

I finally started the series this past year after so many people telling me I should try them. I've read and enjoyed the first four so far. I'm fortunate that even though I have vision issues my local library system has them as audio books.

I have been listening to them on mp3 audiobooks I download from my local public library. FYI, in one of the later books, they *do* mention that it is a Featherweight. When I read that, my little inner voice was going, "Yes! I knew it was a Featherweight!"

I haven’t read one in a while. I have read at least five of them.