Embroidery Machine?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM

I have the PE770. I got it to use my stash of thread and to make quilt labels. I liked the builtin designs, alphabets, and frames. It has the USB port so I can use designs ordered on line. There are several medallion and snowflake designs (ordered on line) that stitch quickly and don't require a thread change. I have made table runners with embroidered blocks.

I had a lot of colors of thread. When I got brave enough to try color changes with a chicadee in evergreen branches, I was surprised at the amount of overstitching and how long it took. The fabric was drawn up around the enbroidery and the background did not stay flat. I framed the block and the"folds" that radiate out from it make an interesting display. But I don't know if there is a stabilizer to keep background fabric flat with a heavily stitched design. And I don't know if I will use a number of designs I purchased now that I know how long it takes to stitch them.

Overall, I enjoy my machine.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by garnetnm View Post
I have the PE770. I got it to use my stash of thread and to make quilt labels. I liked the builtin designs, alphabets, and frames. It has the USB port so I can use designs ordered on line. There are several medallion and snowflake designs (ordered on line) that stitch quickly and don't require a thread change. I have made table runners with embroidered blocks.

I had a lot of colors of thread. When I got brave enough to try color changes with a chicadee in evergreen branches, I was surprised at the amount of overstitching and how long it took. The fabric was drawn up around the enbroidery and the background did not stay flat. I framed the block and the"folds" that radiate out from it make an interesting display. But I don't know if there is a stabilizer to keep background fabric flat with a heavily stitched design. And I don't know if I will use a number of designs I purchased now that I know how long it takes to stitch them.

Overall, I enjoy my machine.
Yes, you can use a heavy stabilizer when you have a dense stitch pattern. When the design is dense with many stitches it is good to have fabric that is tightly woven backed with a sturdy stabilizer. I like to use the tear away because then when it all done I can tear away the stabilizer so my piece is not stiff. IMHO you should go back to the place where you bought the machine and sign up for some of their free classes. Believe me, you will enjoy it so much more when you are able to use it successfully! It is another addicting habit!
Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 AM

Thanks, Mary Ellen. I'm considering an embroidery machine. Good info.