Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Every wonder why plasticware won't get dry in dishwasher?

Every wonder why plasticware won't get dry in dishwasher?

http://www.applianceauthority.com/wh...ishwasher-wet/

I don't wash plastic or rubber maid items. They are disposable in my book. I do have to wash the grands sippy cups though and I have to always hand dry them from the dishwasher.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have some plastic utensils that are a stronger quality. Clear heavier duty. Just DH and I and got rid of the dishwasher.

Just DH and I and got rid of the dishwasher.
    I run the dishwasher after each meal. Usually only the pans used for cooking. I use disposable dishware for about every meal. I don't wait for it to get full. I dread emptying a full dishwasher, I don't know why, it isn't hard. The same with laundry. I wash and dry all small loads. I don't like having a dryer full of clothes to deal with at one time.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I run the dishwasher after each meal. Usually only the pans used for cooking. I use disposable dishware for about every meal. I don't wait for it to get full. I dread emptying a full dishwasher, I don't know why, it isn't hard. The same with laundry. I wash and dry all small loads. I don't like having a dryer full of clothes to deal with at one time.
    Just us so we don't have large anything. I get clean up done and he helps within 10 minutes after a meal and Dixie, RJ Reynolds and Mr. brawny join us. That includes feeding the fur babies.

Blog Entries
    that's really interesting.... i always wondered why
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Yes, I have often wondered why plastic didn't dry so thanks for sharing this information.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

We seldom run our dishwasher, it is a great dish rack for drying the hand washed dishes!

Is it because it does not absorb heat like glass and metal, so the water does not evaporate off the cooler surface?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    We seldom run our dishwasher, it is a great dish rack for drying the hand washed dishes!
    That's what I use mine for-It's just me it would take forever to get enough dirty dishes to justify using it and I haven't decided which I hate more -dishes on the counter or drying them ...

I live alone, but when I had a dishwasher, I always ran out of clean dishes before the dishwasher was full.

I don't understand having to justify using a not filled dishwasher. ? If I have dirty dishes I use it. Why would anyone feel guilty about using a dishwasher?

I don't understand having to justify using a not filled dishwasher. ? If I have dirty dishes I use it. Why would anyone feel guilty about using a dishwasher?
    Maybe because of heating/using the same amount of water whether it is full or "lite"? As for washing/drying clothes daily....although one can regulate the amt of water in most washing machines and the energy used to function the machines is variable, the fact that water and gas/electric used might be a conservation concern.....and maybe shortens the life of the appliance? I would really miss not having a dishwasher - can't take dishes to a "dishomat".

I personally wait til dishwasher is full before running.....DH said I have enough dinnerware to cater a large wedding.....so never "run out"-- laundry once a week...Monday's chore....

We each do what works for us...viva the difference!

Hey, I'm one of those dang Conservatives, who cares about saving water so I don't use my dishwasher unless I have a large family meal (so I use it 3 times a year) And yes, I hand wash plastic forks, etc. Can't see throwing them away just to fill up the landfill with more trash.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I wash and reuse all plastic ware whether it's forks/spoons/knives or plates or containers. The only thing I don't use it for is heating things in the microwave. I can't bear filling the landfill with things that are still usable.

I only wash full loads of clothes and dishes. I tend to have a conservative mindset but also live in an area where water is expensive and we have rationing as far as watering lawns etc. It's not as bad as California but still have to be very careful. No one would know if I ran a partial load of dishes or clothes but I'd feel guilty so I don't do it.

I'm with all those "dang Conservatives". I have my own well with plenty of water, but I still can't see wasting ANYTHING, so I use the dishwasher only when full, and almost never use disposables. I usually hand wash dishes as they accumulate in the sink. I use the largest container there, fill it with a cup or two of water and a few drops of soap. A sponge or small scrubby will clean a great many dishes. Then I rinse all with hot water and they dry by themselves (except for the plastic,LOL). I try to put plastic flatware into the dishwasher when I use it (not often) so it can be used again.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

A dishwasher does not use that much water. Running water while hand washing dishes probably takes just as much. I pretty much run mine every day whether it is full or not. (There are 2 of us.) I do not use the drying cycle on mine. When I open it to air dry the dishes, I give the plastic ware a good tap on the rack to shake off extra water so it air dries faster.
    Thimble and Thread

When I had to replace my dishwasher the repair man told me it was because I didn't use it enough. being a single adult sometimes it was weeks between dish washing in the machine. He said all the rubber gaskets and seals will dry out and crack if not used fairly frequently causing it to leak. Replacing the machine was cheaper than replacing seals and gaskets so I try to run it at least weekly.

My dishwasher uses less then half a sink of dishwater. Add rinsing water and I've wasted more water then the dishwasher uses. The power used is pennies a load. My washer is auto fill. The clothes don't sit in a tub of water the water is sprayed on the clothes. Less drying time, the clothes are almost dry coming out of the washer. Same with dishwasher, the new appliances cost pennies to use.

Blog Entries
    I just replaced my older dishwasher. I made sure it was energy efficient, which I do with all of my appliances and it is easy to see the savings I gotten from it. I do still try to conserve but sometimes, I just want them done. I also don't use the dry cycle but sometimes use the water heat or heavy duty depending on how much hot water I've used that day.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    Yes, I have often wondered why plastic didn't dry so thanks for sharing this information.
    So have I!

Bobbielinks-
    What sassysews2 says is correct. So 3 times/year may land you in trouble.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
    When I had to replace my dishwasher the repair man told me it was because I didn't use it enough. being a single adult sometimes it was weeks between dish washing in the machine. He said all the rubber gaskets and seals will dry out and crack if not used fairly frequently causing it to leak. Replacing the machine was cheaper than replacing seals and gaskets so I try to run it at least weekly.
    I have also heard this so I try to remember to run the dish washer once a month, usually on pot scrubber. But most of the time I hand wash and use less than 3 gallons of water to wash. I will wash a small load of laundry if needed, in the mid-west we don't have to be careful with water but I do try to conserve.

Studies have shown that running a FULL dishwasher uses less water than doing the same dishes by hand. Running a dishwasher or washing machine that is not full is wasting water and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamannix View Post
    Bobbielinks-
    What sassysews2 says is correct. So 3 times/year may land you in trouble.
    Judy
    Guess I was very lucky when I purchased it 22 years ago at the time our house was built. I have had to replace the cooking range and frig, but the dishwasher looks and runs like new.

My goodness....that is so wasteful.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast