Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Exploding Thermos!  Anyone know a handyman? >

Exploding Thermos! Anyone know a handyman?

Exploding Thermos! Anyone know a handyman?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
you know, some days things get cleaned, some days they don't...

Definitely NOT Martha Stewart!!
YEP... Martha Stewart would shudder if she walked in my house. I do not have a dirty house... just a well-lived in house. With working full-time, having two kids, and a very busy schedule of Taekwando, piano lessons, guitar lessons, and Awanas, I clean when I can.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Sorry didnt mean to laugh this would happen to me but it would have been left in my car :)
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
my goodness!! hang a picture over it!!!
I can't. It is on the ceiling. (I have a recessed ceiling in my kitchen where the track lighting goes. Over the counter, the ceiling drops down about eight inches, then comes back up in the familyroom.)
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Oh my! I just have this vision of exploding mac and cheese and have to chuckle. I think I would have had a puddle too. Doesn't look like it will take much to fix it. I'll have to remember this because my husband is forever using our thermos and he just leaves it sitting on the counter. So from now on I will at least loosen the lid when I see it sitting there. Since there are just the two of us like you I don't always get to the dishes when I should and they sometimes sit.
PS. Thank you and your husband. My cousin is in the Army and has been deployed twice to Iraq. It is hard when they are gone and I just wanted to say Thank You for being a Military wife.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Wow that is amazing, I never thought that could happen. And you are right very scarey. Can you imagine if you had been anywhere near that thing when it exploded? Short of causing some serious bodily injury, I have to agree, my undies would definitely have been trashed if it were me. :lol: So I have to ask, is the thermos now toast or was it actually salvagable after that?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Wow that is amazing, I never thought that could happen. And you are right very scarey. Can you imagine if you had been anywhere near that thing when it exploded? Short of causing some serious bodily injury, I have to agree, my undies would definitely have been trashed if it were me. :lol: So I have to ask, is the thermos now toast or was it actually salvagable after that?
I think it is okay. I have it in the sink, soaking. I haven't tried the lid back on to see if the threads are gone. I will put it in the dishwasher after dinner this evening and see if it still is usable once it is clean.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:33 PM

is this a glass thermos? i would think it would have exploded the glass and not the stopper.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 PM

No, it is a metal one. It is designed for a kid's lunch. My kids like to take hot food to school, such as macaroni and cheese, soups, or ravioli to break up the monotony of PB & J sandwiches, so I bought a few of these... they are Thermos brand, so I know they are good quality and obviously air-tight, or the fermenting gas would have escaped instead of blowing the lid off.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Oh My!!! That's kinda funny!! It could have had a worse ending. So glad that no one got hurt! I've had stuff ferment and pop but not to that extent. It must have come off there with quite a lot of force!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Honestly, I would have been coming down the stairs with a shotgun had I heard it in the middle of the night.

I just put the thermos in the dishwasher. It appears to be fine. I have a feeling I had just barely put the lid on when I had it sitting on the counter because the threads are fine... including the lid that damaged the ceiling. Had it been fully tightened, I think there would be imbedded metal in my walls because it would have blown the metal to shreds.