Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric and Jewels

Blog Entries

Fabric and Jewels

I have sewn a satin dress for a granddaughter and I want to add a few jewels to it. So I wonder is there an adhesive which will attach them permanently? I have tried Allene's, E6000, and Gorilla but none of these stayed on after several days of setting.

Do you ladies have any experience or any suggestions? DGD is quite eager to be able to wear her new dress!
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    i have an older device like this... worked well for me
    http://www.amazon.com/Darice-2704-01...J1EW6B60H1FRX6
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

There is a glue called Alleene's Jewel-It I got mine at Walmart but I imagine Hobby Lobby carries it also. Its permanent but takes only a tiny amount on the "jewel" for it to stick.
    jackie

Your problem may be that you are trying to attach jewels to a slick fabric. You may have to attach them with some sort of prongs.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I asked a friend who runs a dance studio and often enhances costumes with jewels and sequins. She uses Aleene's Jewel-It and has good results on t-shirts and some other fabrics. She suggests you try some first on a fabric similar to the one you're doing for your granddaughter.

Get a Deluxe Bedazzler, Hobby Lobby or Joann's.

Maybe you could add accents to the cuff or hemline with sewn on sequins. I've seen that at JoAnn's by the yard, it's just the single strand not the fat stretchy one.

I agree with the jewel-it glue, has worked on everything I've used it on and truly been washable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Your problem may be that you are trying to attach jewels to a slick fabric. You may have to attach them with some sort of prongs.
    (If you use the type with prongs on satin, be sure to use some sort of interfacing to give the satin enough strength to avoid it tearing....)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.