Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Farmers harvesting crops yet in your areas? >

Farmers harvesting crops yet in your areas?

Farmers harvesting crops yet in your areas?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Sunflowers are harvested.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Deep in the middle of canning spaghetti sauce and tomatoes. Tons more to go.... Done with cucumbers and pickles. See some nice big pumpkins in the garden.

Want to get some peaches to can next. Have to cram it in- leaving Thurs. for NC to visit family.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Nothing here yet. I can't remember what part of Indiana you're from but apparently way south of us. We had a lot of late planting in our area due to too much rain so I have a feeling harvest won't be for a while. Usually dh gets in the field in early September but it may be mid to late Sept this year. :( In all of our driving around we haven't seen any beans ready to cut and only one field that is close.

dh just said there have been a few chopping corn around here. For silage. He also said someone had 22% corn last week.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
Deep in the middle of canning spaghetti sauce and tomatoes. Tons more to go.... Done with cucumbers and pickles. See some nice big pumpkins in the garden.

Want to get some peaches to can next. Have to cram it in- leaving Thurs. for NC to visit family.
OK, now I'm jealous! :mrgreen: lol
After weeks of 100+ temps here, my tomatoes, bell peppers and a few summer squash is all that is hanging on. Everything else burned up. I got 1 Baggie of green beans, before my vines died. I am still hoping to keep the rest alive long enough to produce. So far, I have gotten small peppers, and 3 golf ball sized tomatoes, out of 12 plants. Down in the upper 90's now, so with watering, maybe they will produce a Beefsteak tomato by October, that will suffice for a BLT.
Normally, I would be canning tomatoes too, making relish and pickles, and catsup.
This year, we have had a plague of grasshoppers that even ate the decorative monkey grass, moles, gophers, squash bugs and locusts.
It's been so hot I started putting out water for the rabbits, and the turtles have cooked their feet trying to cross roads, to find a stock tank that had water.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Ive already had my hay cut 3 times this year..........may get 4, and that would be SO nice!
Corn here is two weeks ahead , butits not dried up here yet, still pretty green!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM

corn has been picked, rice started and stopped b/c f a little rain, soybeans not ready yet
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Anyone seeing SDS in the beans? Some fields around here are showing it, and others not affected. FYI SDS is SuddenDeathSyndrome. The plants wither and die before maturity.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 AM

another double batch of "skettie" sauce made. Need to can it tonight. Wish I didn't work so I could keep caught up with the garden, but right now it works for me to cook one night and can the next.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Haven't seen any SDS around here but it's probably going to happen. Not many beans close to maturity yet. I did see a field of corn that looks very close to being ready and with the heat we've had, maybe the moisture numbers will be down. I think dh is very anxious to get started. He bought himself a new-to-him hopper bottom grain trailer for the semi and some doodad to use under it to get the grain in the bins. He got the doodad this morning. This may also be the first year he runs the combine the whole time because his dad had a stroke last spring, so he's not going to be able to help much.