Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Faux American Girl Doll

Faux American Girl Doll

I really enjoyed making doll clothes for the American Girl doll, but some of the clothes were a bit off to be a good fit. The patterns were fine. I'm assuming it was operator error.

I now have a great-niece who is getting to that age and will require doll clothes.
    My question is: Has anyone found a doll (reasonably priced) that would be exactly the same size as the AG doll? Help is needed!

Blog Entries
    I believe the 'My Life' doll is same size, might need to check. I was reading reviews on some of the clothes and that they did not fit.

American Girl dolls are 18". Just do a google (or bing, or yahoo, or any of the search engines) search for 18" dolls and you will get loads of options. Walmart offers one for $20. Very bare bones with no accessories.

Just found this blog about all the 18" dolls out there but it is 5 years old and mentions Toys R Us which we know is no more. But this will give you an idea of all the options out there, expensive and inexpensive alike.

http://www.homegrownfamilies.net/201...-alternatives/
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-19-2018 at 09:35 AM.

I can't help with which dolls best match the American Girl Dolls, but I can tell you that the doll sold by Michaels is smaller. The Springfield dolls that JoAnns sold were a good match, but I haven't seen them at JoAnns lately.

I've seen the 18" dolls at WalMart that resemble American Girl dolls. I think your patterns would fit those dolls. I wish the AG dolls had a pretty "breastplate" so the cute clothes that don't cover the upper torso looked nicer. IMHO anyhow, especially for the price of the AG dolls.
    Last edited by illinois; 11-20-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: nothing showed on first try!

I found it really helped to have the doll handy to do a mid-sewing fit. I sewed a lot of clothes while baby sitting the DGD's.

But I have to tell you about something really remarkable. My youngest DGD was born missing the lower part of her right arm. There is a company somewhere in the US, that will work with the child's family and medical team, to alter an American Girl doll to conform with the child's physique (I hesitated to say disability because DGD is definitely not!!)
    Her doll came missing the lower part of her right arm and has a prosthesis! This is an amazing service to make differently-abled children feel included. Okay off my soap box.
    Last edited by GingerK; 11-20-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Nothing showed on first attempt.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    I really enjoyed making doll clothes for the American Girl doll, but some of the clothes were a bit off to be a good fit. The patterns were fine. I'm assuming it was operator error...
    It may not have been operator error. From my understanding, even with the authentic AG dolls, there can be differences in body shapes and sizes. When I was doing some research a few years back, I found https://www.pixiefaire.com/blogs/dol...l-measurements which shows some of the differences. When I was looking for that site I found a couple of others that seem to indicate the same thing. One of the following links also had link to how to alter patterns to fit and the measurements that are needed.
    https://www.rosiesdollclothespatterns.com/doll-sizing/
    http://www.silly-monkey.com/pages/in...surements.html

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-20-2018 at 06:44 AM. Reason: correct blank post
    Janey & John

Blog Entries
    Oh Ginger, i heard of that. wonderful for children!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    I really enjoyed making doll clothes for the American Girl doll, but some of the clothes were a bit off to be a good fit. The patterns were fine. I'm assuming it was operator error.

I now have a great-niece who is getting to that age and will require doll clothes.
    My question is: Has anyone found a doll (reasonably priced) that would be exactly the same size as the AG doll? Help is needed!
    Walmart carries a good reasonable facsimile. They are slightly different sized, but I just measured the doll and corrected the pattern to fit.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I've seen them in Target and AC Moore. Maybe you could borrow one - that's what I was able to do. Good luck.

A friend put me on to an AG stand in for my doll clothes sewing at a Dollar Store or similar store. The doll had the same type of body, didn't cost much and worked well for me. I think even the real ones can have some variance in their body shapes just due to the construction. I was out of state while making the clothes and it helped a lot. I used a lot of knits and Velcro fastenings, so I think that helped, too. Although, some things were plain cotton. I miss that my grands have aged out of dolls. It was fun making those cute clothes.

Thanks to all the great info from the great board members! Sewers I can count on!

Quote Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
    It may not have been operator error. From my understanding, even with the authentic AG dolls, there can be differences in body shapes and sizes. When I was doing some research a few years back, I found https://www.pixiefaire.com/blogs/dol...l-measurements which shows some of the differences. When I was looking for that site I found a couple of others that seem to indicate the same thing. One of the following links also had link to how to alter patterns to fit and the measurements that are needed.
    https://www.rosiesdollclothespatterns.com/doll-sizing/
    http://www.silly-monkey.com/pages/in...surements.html

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    These were the best sites for the actual measurements. I'll pick up an inexpensive doll and adjust the patterns.
    Thank you for taking the trouble to track these sites down.

I make and sell doll clothes on Etsy. The My Life doll sold by Walmart is an excellent, inexpensive alternative. the patterns sold by the pattern companies fit those dolls nicely. I suggest you purchase a stand for a couple of dollars from Hobby Lobby or Michael's to accompany the doll. The stand makes all the difference when dressing the doll and standing her up to enjoy.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

You know, the patterns I have bought for 18" dolls seem to be a little big for the My Life dolls. I have to take them in a bit. But that works out fine. I have a spare doll to try things on. And the flat two-sided Velcro is your friend.
    You can buy shoes for them at Hobby Lobby in the doll craft department. They have the cutest little tennis shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
    You know, the patterns I have bought for 18" dolls seem to be a little big for the My Life dolls. I have to take them in a bit. But that works out fine. I have a spare doll to try things on. And the flat two-sided Velcro is your friend.
    You can buy shoes for them at Hobby Lobby in the doll craft department. They have the cutest little tennis shoes.
    Where do you buy the flat two-sided Velcro. I've heard of it, but haven't found a source for it. Thanks

[QUOTE=quilt1950;8166175]Where do you buy the flat two https://www.homesew.com/Velcro-Brand...ductinfo/VE52/
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

I bought some from a website that is called Zipper That Doll. They also have little zippers, buckles, snaps, etc for dolls. They have some open bottom zippers in small sizes for jackets, etc. Scroll down the page for the Velcro.

I've been making doll clothes lately because I find it challenging. I do have an AGD from my daughter
    I agree with you. I did not like the fit of the patterns, so I used them as a template and added a bit here and there until I was satisfied with my new pattern..... like I said, I enjoy the challenge.

Also agree that having a doll to work with helps wonders.
    ~Sharon