favorite author?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM

I love to read and have both paper books and ebooks! The 2 authors I find myself reading and rereading the most are J. D. Robb and Donna Andrews. Robb is great for the mystery and science fiction combination and Andrews is so funny (in the bird series). I find myself LOLing whenever I read her! These are the 2 that I always preorder their new books so I get them right away!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM

I have also enjoyed a series of books in which the titles start out, The Cat That...... However, I cannot for the life of me think of the author right now.
They are light and enjoyable reading for when you just want to relax, give a giggle now and then and try to second guess the solution to the mystery.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by mommafank
As an avid reader of most anything, it is difficult to to pick one favorite. But there is no doubt I would have to say mine is John Steinbeck. His descriptions are so vivid that you can see the places and the characters. I am re-reading "The Grapes of Wrath" now. This is a good time to read or re-read this particular book as it really puts hard times into perspective!
I couldn't agree with you more! I have to add, this book is especially dear to me, as my family did that trek in 1944. Left the farm in Oklahoma, loaded up the car with grandma and the 5 kids and what little furniture they could tie on. We have photos taken during their travel across the country to California. There is one taken at Christmas where they are parked at a camp along this dry dusty road and have the saddest little Charlie Brown Christmas tree set up.
It always reminds me that even tho I may not have much money, I am definitely not poor.
Wow---would love to see some of those pics! Can you imagine being that brave? Now that I am older and reading the book I would love to read a historical acct of the trek and experience to see how much of his book rings true.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM

I have also enjoyed a series of books in which the titles start out, The Cat That...... However, I cannot for the life of me think of the author right now.
They are light and enjoyable reading for when you just want to relax, give a giggle now and then and try to second guess the solution to the mystery.
The Cat Who? Lillian Jackson Braun.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM

[quote=mommafank]
Originally Posted by mommafank
As an avid reader of most anything, it is difficult to to pick one favorite. But there is no doubt I would have to say mine is John Steinbeck. His descriptions are so vivid that you can see the places and the characters. I am re-reading "The Grapes of Wrath" now. This is a good time to read or re-read this particular book as it really puts hard times into perspective!
Wow---would love to see some of those pics! Can you imagine being that brave? Now that I am older and reading the book I would love to read a historical acct of the trek and experience to see how much of his book rings true.
How I wish we had asked my mom to document that and to tell us more about it. From what I have heard tho, I think a lot of it is fairly factual. PM me your email and if I can find where the box is currently hiding, I will send you some of those pics when I get a chance. It might be a while, as I have a busy weekend coming up.
You know tho, I don't think it was a matter of being that brave. I think it was being that desperate to provide for your family and having hope for a better life somewhere else. My dad had a promise of a job in CA, with his cousin, once he got there.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
The Cat Who? Lillian Jackson Braun.
Yesssss, thanks!! That's the one.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM

I never get tired of Sidney Sheldon. I read his books over and over. And I LOVE Fannie Flagg. Standing in the Rainbow makes me feel like a kid again, it brings back so many memories. My all time #1 book is hard to find because it has been out of print for a long time,The Girl of The Sea of Cortez by Peter Benchley and #2 is The Art of Racing in the Rain.
Great topic. I'll check out some of these authors .
Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM

I love the books of Elizabeth George and Ken Follette and.... I love to read, don't you?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Lots of favorites: J.R.R. Tolkien, Preston and Childs, Alexander Dumas "The Count of Monte Cristo," Terri Blackstock, Dame Agatha Christie, and Sir Conan Doyle.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Thumbs up Testers - I'm curious

I'm reading Margaret Truman's "Murder at the Opera" - it's very good.