Feeding Older Cat

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
nope healthy in every way except she can't eat the dry food, vets advise was just feed her she has lived 17 yrs she deserves it...thanks so much for everyone responses...is there a canned food you like better then others?
Congrats on your baby being so healthy!! I have an 18 year old who is the same way. Thin and hardly no teeth! I'm with your vet. As long as she is happy and healthy, feed her when she wants. We are feeding Butterscotch IAMS canned kitten food. More calories than cat food. Your basic supermarket foods are just filler which isn't good for them healthwise. Iams, Eukanuba, Wellness, Taste of the Wild are much better. All my other critters eat Taste of the Wild but Butter doesn't like their can food. I've tried adding things like oatmeal to give the food more bulk but she won't eat it. We go through 2 or 3 cans of food a day which comes out to like $2. I was there the night she and her sister were born (we lost Bashful last year to Sarcoma) I think she is definatley worth the $2!

Need to see a picture of your baby.

Butterscotch stoned on catnip at Christmas, lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255269[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255263.jpe  
Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Our 19 year old persian lived on sliced chicken, beef and turkey from the deli for over a year. I would have them practically shred 1/2 lb of each every week. They do get picky.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM

I think I have the same cat. Chloe wants me to go to the kitchen every 10 minutes. I know it's just to see, "what else you got?" She's 12 & spoiled but we try & feed her well. She gets "Fancy Feast" at bedtime & always has Purina Indoor dry food available. Her problem...she up-chucks her food right after eating. We've often changed brands, but the same problem occurs.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I think I have the same cat. Chloe wants me to go to the kitchen every 10 minutes. I know it's just to see, "what else you got?" She's 12 & spoiled but we try & feed her well. She gets "Fancy Feast" at bedtime & always has Purina Indoor dry food available. Her problem...she up-chucks her food right after eating. We've often changed brands, but the same problem occurs.
We had that problem with Butter because she "Hoovered" her food and didn't have the teeth to chew it.

We were feeding straight tuna, she had come down with an bad infection and we still don't know where it was but her white count was all out of whack and she wasn't eating. Antibiotics and tuna fixed both problems. She was just happy that she got to go back outside! She's always been an indoor-outdoor kitty. She much closer to home these days, not hangin out in the storm drains with the sewer rats! She absolutely HATES to have to use the litterbox. She would walk around for hours before giving in, lol
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM

raw food would be the best for her some fine minced beef and just add a little canned food for flavour if she wont eat the mince on it's own, we have had cats live to 21 years of age and they all lived on fresh food with very few bickies. we also give ours heart as it is hard muscle and carries the taureen that cats need a little tinned fish or fine chicken mince will give her the calcium she needs to keep her bones healthy. add a little liver now and again to give her vitamins as liver carries lots of vitamins. and she should stay healthy for many more years plus she will lose weight to.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

Our sweet Callie lived to 19-1/2. Her last few years were tough due to lack of teeth and her dislike of canned cat food. Her main food was cooked down turkey carcass soup. frozen in ice cube trays and then thawed. But her favorite was spaghetti-o's! My son was young so every couple days they'd split a can, half for him & half for kitty!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 PM

Love your fur baby..and give her what she wants...thats my advice.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

I read this post shortly before I went to bed and it got me thinking more about Tigger- he was almost 18 when he developed diabetes. But he was healthy his whole life before this and I still miss him! I miss all my departed furbabies.
Lots of good info in this post- Butterscotch is so cute! :D
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks again Everyone for all the great responses and I do agree Butterscotch is very handsome.