Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Female Heart Attack and Stroke Symptoms. Please All Read

Blog Entries
    I wanted to share some information that might help for stroke victims and especially their families. I read a book called My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor. She was fairly young and had a terrible stoke. She survived and it took a long time but she made it back and shares her experience of what she felt and all she went through. Then she explains a lot of what happens in the brain. It is one of the greatest books I have ever read. I encourage all of you to get a copy or check it out at the library.

Blog Entries
    I would like to add something in regard to women having heart attacks. I had one in 1995 and my symptoms were as follows: waking from a sound sleep and my head and neck were soaking wet. I thought a cup of tea would help the extremely full feeling but it didn't work. As I took my cup to the kitchen sink a feeling of wooziness came over me. Luckily I made it to the bedroom and told my husband we have to go to the hospital, something is wrong. Our mistake was not calling an ambulance. Trying to drive me to the hospital was not good. As my DH drove out of the garage I fell to the ground unconcious. When we got to the hospital we found out they did not have the right to do angiograms . The nurse had to send me by ambulance to a large hospital in Boston. Feeling very very full after eating a small amount of food is a sure sign. BTW, I was more or less unconcious almost all the timeand when I woke up they told me Dr. had done an angioplasty. Have had two since then , both with a stent inserted. Ladies please take heed, you only have one life..

Thanks for posting this and it looks like it has had a great response! I had a heart attack in January...it was pretty much as described. I walked up the stairs at work and let my supervisor know (a former paramedic) and he drove me to the hospital. In less than 40 minutes from the beginning I was at the hospital and had the stent put in and was moved to my room in the ICU. I am glad that I had paid attention to everything I have heard about heart attacks in women since my Grandmother died from hers in 2000.
    Take care of yourselves, Ladies! You are worth every minute of care. :)

Oh, by the way...I was only 45 at the time.

Thank you for the info and also the clarification on the colesteral level issue- docs get out of sorts at the first raise in it and seem to take it out of context

Blog Entries
    It would be more helpful if doctors would try to find the cause of the inflammation that causes cholesterol and plaque build up rather than to take drugs to lower it, which cause liver damage and a host of other problems.

A few months ago I started having problems breathing and thought I was getting bronchitis. I already had a runny nose. I get it just about every yr. and I have asthma. We don't have ins. so I just took over the counter meds and waited for it to run its course. About a week and a half later I still was not feeling better, actually worse so my DH took me to the hospital. they listened to my heart and lungs and immediately took me back to be seen. My heartrate was 150. What I thought was bronchitis was a flutter in my heart which could have caused a multiple of other problems including stroke, because it causes clots. Luckily after 4 days in the hospital they sent me home on meds for my heart and I will be fine.

My beautiful brother Mick died last year from a heart attack. He previously had no symptoms and that afternoon though he had food poisioning. Even though he only lived 5 minutes from the hospital, by the time the ambulance was called it was too late. He was 45, way too young to go with 2 young children. :-( It has left an enormous hole in our family and we miss him very much.

Thank you so much for the detailed account. I went to the hospital for what I thought was a cardiac event. It wasn't thank goodness. The only one who thought that going to emerg was dumb was me. Everyone at the hospital assured me that it was, indeed, better to have a false alarm than have a visit from the coroner.
    On another note, my 52 year old friend had a heart attack on Christmas last. But because she was having family over for the Christmas feast, she ignored her symptoms. Yup, she was having a heart attack. Had she gone in when she first experienced problems, which was a few days before, they would have found that she needed bypass asap and would never have had the heart attack. Now that she has had a heart attack, she is at greater risk for another.
    So, don't ignore strange symptoms as suggested in the inital thread.

Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    My DH said his hands hurt I was rubbing them when he passed he said mmmmm that feels good and he was gone
    How sad for you but how touching that you were doing something loving for him and he was happy to the end. We should all be so lucky to go in peace, near those who love us.
    God bless you and my you have your own peace at the end.

thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
    Thank you so much for the detailed account. I went to the hospital for what I thought was a cardiac event. It wasn't thank goodness. The only one who thought that going to emerg was dumb was me. Everyone at the hospital assured me that it was, indeed, better to have a false alarm than have a visit from the coroner.
    On another note, my 52 year old friend had a heart attack on Christmas last. But because she was having family over for the Christmas feast, she ignored her symptoms. Yup, she was having a heart attack. Had she gone in when she first experienced problems, which was a few days before, they would have found that she needed bypass asap and would never have had the heart attack. Now that she has had a heart attack, she is at greater risk for another.
    So, don't ignore strange symptoms as suggested in the inital thread.
    I am so glad yours was a false alarm and I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.
    But I have to stress to everyone...."Please don't let the doctors ignore it either." My sister had been having the funny feelings and outright pain for about a week with 2 visits to the ER. Both times they never even checked her heart or even suggested it. She was at the hospital the night before her death and was on her way to the hospital again the next night, but didn't make it.
    We have a large painful hole in our family also. She has 3 kids that really miss and need her too.

I wish you would have posted this in Feb. I had a stroke in March, so many things you said have hit home. I was very lucky that my stroke was minor and I am almost back to normal. I hope everyone who reads this will follow everything you said. Thank you so much

thanks for the posting.

Blog Entries
    westies -- I highlight the text, go to Edit(at top of page), click select all, Edit, click copy and then open my email program, place my cursor in the message box, Edit and click paste and you should have it. Hope this is clear enough to understand.

This has been enlightening to read of everyone's close calls and I feel so sorry to hear of all those who have lost loved ones --
    believe me, all the Dr's and Nurses would rather you come in with a false alarm than not at all. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the reminder !

I just recently asked questions about heart attack survivors. I hadn't read this post. Thanks so much.
    I just wasn't feeling well but I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. I had my husband drive me to Urgent Care. Well, they would not acept my insurance. I went to 3 care centers. The one that did, said I should have an EKG. After a few seconds of being hooked up, she said you are having a heart attack. An ambulance showed up almost before she finished her sentence. I was carried out into an ambulance and taken to the ER of the hospital, which was only 1 block away. I never thought to go to the ER right away. Within 45 minutes I was in the ER and they input 2 stents.
    I was preped, introduced to the Dr.who explained the procdure. For some reason I was very calm. I don't think my mind understood what was happening. About a wk after being released from the hospital I had respiratory failure. This time I was having problems getting a deep breathe, my husband wanted to drive me to the hospital but I told him to call an ambulance. hat was worse than the HA. I panicked and had to be restrained and they ended up have to put the tube down my throat. When I awoke I didn't know what had happened. My husband says I don't want to know.
    So, if you have problems, don't wait. go to the Dr or to the ER.

Shakes head at

Well, they would not acept my insurance. I went to 3 care centers

I am glad for you that everything worked out well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMo
    Shakes head at

Well, they would not acept my insurance. I went to 3 care centers

I am glad for you that everything worked out well
    That should be investigated. They needed to make sure the patient was stable first then transport to another hospital if need be. Insurance companies will work with out of network hospitals in emergency situations.

Thank you for this. This is something too few of us are aware of, and this knowledge could save someone's life.

Thanks so much, as we all age it's some very important info to know

Thanks you may have just saved a friends life :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the good information.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3