fibromyalgia

Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM

I was diagnosed with it and suffered for a long time. I went and had testing done for allergies to foods and since then I stay away from the foods and the pain is 80 % gone. MSG is big for me and I found bagels kill me, as does most Chinese foods. The test cost about 700 and insurance did NOT cover it but it was worth the cost
Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I sympathise with your DD. I have had fibro most of my adult life. I have gone through years with few symptoms and other times it was almost crippling.
Attitude is very important. Laughter is medicinal. Hot showers or baths and massages help. Having a supportive spouse makes a lot of difference. There is a lot of research going on now and hopefully they will come up with the answer.
I take Cymbalta. It's the only thing that has worked for me. I still have flare ups from time to time, but overall it works well for me.
Check out this site. I get the news letter with all the latest research and suggestions.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/

I hope she gets some help. The good news is it tends to wax and wane, so she will have better days. :cry:
I was diagnosed last year with fibro. My friend also has it and is using some sort of pain reliever. My Dr. gave me Cymbalta also. It works for me also; however, there are some days that I just rest all day because it will flare up. The other thing that helps is yoga. It stretches the muscles and for some reason, that helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM

You might find some helpful information on fibromyalgia at this site: http://www.mercola.com. There is so much good information for so many things here - I am constantly amazed. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter - she's so young to have so much pain - but I think she might find help at this site.

By the way, he has a very comprehensive report on Vitamin D deficiency, influenza, cancer, and many other subjects. Another thing we are woefully deficient in in Vitamin B12. That's why we are seeing an epidemic of G.E.R.D.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:53 PM

I agree with you but many people are not used to natural health. I had acupuncture yrs ago and friends would make fun of me but not now

Originally Posted by morelcabin
Originally Posted by Julianna
My husband suffers from fibromyalgia. For years doctors told him it was depression, imagined, etc. He now has a competent doctor and takes Lyrica with some success, and exercise helps too. DO NOT try all the scams. Check them out on Scambusters on-line or search all the Medical Scams. Worst one in Kansas City area was Nikkon. It used "magnetic water" (impossible) and had salespeople who never even passed elementary science! Also scams are aroma therapy, fake vitamins, facing north rubbing mud on yourself, Noni juice and many more snake oil fads. Do your research and find support groups. I have put your doughter on my seven state prayer list. Let us know her progress.
OK...you do have a point with these scams :) LOL! The #1 rule I follow is that herbs are food. And they are healing foods. Look into what's wrong with you and find the herbs that are good for that ailment. Buy a good quality product at a health food store, or a company with a good reputation. Unicity is a good solid company...as is Trivita and there are many others. I know from experience...and I am not a salesperson.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM

People can laugh all they want at natural medicine, but when she mentioned prednisone, I did a doubletake. I have pulmonary fibrosis, and one thing they prescribe across the board is prednisone. I did some research on it, and it causes many more problems than it solves. Besides, it has been proven time and again to be ineffective in my case, especially with older people. Trust me... prednisone is one scary drug.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
People can laugh all they want at natural medicine, but when she mentioned prednisone, I did a doubletake. I have pulmonary fibrosis, and one thing they prescribe across the board is prednisone. I did some research on it, and it causes many more problems than it solves. Besides, it has been proven time and again to be ineffective in my case, especially with older people. Trust me... prednisone is one scary drug.
I agree.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Not only that, my pulmonologist tells me I'm doing better than any of his other patients - the fibrosis has not spread. That is virtually unheard of. :) If your doctor prescribes prednisone, do some research before you take it, and be sure you're willing to suffer liver damage and many other very serious problems.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
May I ask what do you take for your pulmonary fibrosis? My sister n laws mother suffers from this. She is a precious person and is always using oxygen and trying to do so much feeling this may be her last. If you have a natural alternative, I'd love to know. Thank You, Kathy
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM

May I ask what do you take for your pulmonary fibrosis? My sister n laws mother suffers from this. She is a precious person and is always using oxygen and trying to do so much feeling this may be her last. If you have a natural alternative, I'd love to know. Thank You, Kathy[/quote]

Kathy, I sympathize with your SIL's mother. From what my doctor says, and from the research I've done, PF is a terminal disease with a very bad prognosis. However, I refuse to accept a death sentence - I can't die until I use up all of my fabric, and I have a prodigious amount of it! <G>

As to what I do, and please understand, I am not a doctor. It's just that I know there is no known cure, and there is little a doctor can do but throw treatments and drugs at us, whether they work or not (and they don't, judging from the number of victims not being helped by them). So I decided to take my health into my own hands. The first thing I did was take the diet test Dr. Mercola offers free on his site, to see what kind of diet I need to follow (and by diet, I don't mean weight-loss diet, but healthy-living diet). I found I need to cut out as much sugar, flour, and starch as possible. Then I began researching other things, such as inflammation, Vitamin D3 supplementation, Vitamin B12 supplementation, krill oil, and the use of, as someone mentioned above, helpful herbs, such as feverfew, astragalus, and boswellia (for inflammation). This is a very personalized regimen, and I would suggest that each person consider any treatment only in the light of his or her own individual case - not on my case. I still have to use oxygen at night, but that's better than having to haul around an oxygen tank everywhere I go! Here are some links to resource pages that might be helpful to others:

Nutritional Typing test: http://www.mercola.com/

Vitamin D resource page: http://www.mercola.com/article/vitamin-d-resources.htm

Influenza: http://search.mercola.com/Results.as...za&k=Influenza

Vaccines: http://search.mercola.com/Results.as...za&k=Influenza

Vitamin B: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...amin-b-12.aspx

http://www.mercola.com/downloads/bon...12/report.aspx (scroll down to bottom and get the free report on Vitamin B12 deficiency)

Inflammation: http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?k=Inflammation

There is so much at this site that can help any person who wants to take responsibility for his or her own health, and all well-documented, so you can do your own research easily. Sorry... I didn't mean to write a book! <G>
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Alondra,

I can't begin to thank you for all you wrote, never think you write to much when it's to help another! I really appreciate your help on this. I printed this off to give to my sister n law, she'll be so happy to get the info and also to know someone else cares enough to help.

Prayers will go up for you and your condition...take care of you...you're a very precious gift.

Kathy :D