Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fighting Hard Water Stains In Toilet >

Fighting Hard Water Stains In Toilet

Fighting Hard Water Stains In Toilet

Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 AM

I have used pumice stone on my mom's stained toilet, but haven't reallly gone at it. I will try the denture tablets first and hope I won't have much more to pumice out. Pumice is the same that is sold for smoothing rough skin on your feet.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Water definitely varies from one area to another. Ours has a variety of dissolved minerals in it, plus lots of dissolved gasses. I wonder if your Louisiana water was actually soft, Stitchnripper, as one of the qualities of hard water is that it makes soap difficult to rinse off dishes. I remember rinsing all of the dishes twice when I was a child, and still my father complained of his coffee mug tasting of soap. He installed a water softener soon after.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Hi folks with well water. This is probably a stupid question, but sometimes that is the best way to get a clear answer. We replaced all of the toilets when we moved in -- they were gross! I didn't know that well water would keep them that way... anyway do most folks with well water also have a septic system? Logically that is all that make sense, but does anyone know if CLR or LimeAway cause problems with the septic system? I'm at my wits end. Thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 AM

We have hard well water - same problems with rings in the toilets. I clean them occasionally with pumice or lime away when we might have visitors. Do you know that I have discovered no problems in using a toilet with a ring?? As long as it flushes down, I'm okay. (Can you tell that I grew up camping, and using our friends outdoor privy at "the homestead?")