Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finding cotton cording for fabric bowls

Finding cotton cording for fabric bowls

I buy my cording from www.amazon.com
    I go to arts, crafts & sewing category and do a search for
    8/32 inch cotton cording.

50 yards is $18.19. Here are some baskets and trivets that I have made.
    I love using striped fabrics - the swirl it creates is awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    ​Pretty baskets and hot pad! I buy cotton clothesline from the $ store for doing baskets. The baskets are fun to make.

I got to renew my efforts in finding cotton cording. I always find the nylon stuff when I do look.
    ABCDEFG

Walmart has the cotton cording

Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby also has cotton cording, or cotton piping, in smaller increments.

I've been getting mine at the local hardware store. Maybe if I get with it and decide to make some more I'll check out the Amazon site. Thanks for the info. You did a great job on the bowls. Love the effect the stripe has.

One of my To-Do projects, but I have been "hunter-gathering" for some time. Found the best buy at Ace Hardware.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    Walmart here finally stocked the good cotton clothesline rope after I went to the store manager and said the dept manager said Walmart didn't sell that and never has and I showed him the receipt of the one I bought at another Walmart. It was sold out in less then a week and now it is restocked regularly. That dept manager gives me the evil eye now. LOL
    Got fabric?

Lovely looking projects......I've had a thought on these bowls...I've made six I think...I was wondering...If you used batik which doesn't fray as much as reg. cotton and cut it on the bias would it not shred at all?
    The threads bother me...I always take a sweater shaver to the project when finished. I don't get a huge amount of fray..but have any of you tried using strips cut on the bias? what would be the down side?

Blog Entries
    I buy my cotton cording at Walmart. I have also gone into stores and asked for cotton clothes line.

Bias strips - wave blade - prevents fraying

On thread - I use varigated thread frequently - and the results are amazing! Just brings the colors all together!
    On using bias strips - that would be great - shouldn't ravel at all. I have used my wave blade when I cut the strips
    and that also prevents fraying.

Nice job. I love making the baskets as well and usually get my cording (cotton clothesline) from Fleet Farm.

Blog Entries
    I have a silly question. Why do you have to use cotton cord? I'm having a hard time finding cotton.

I use cotton clothes lines from the dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    Lovely looking projects......I've had a thought on these bowls...I've made six I think...I was wondering...If you used batik which doesn't fray as much as reg. cotton and cut it on the bias would it not shred at all?
    The threads bother me...I always take a sweater shaver to the project when finished. I don't get a huge amount of fray..but have any of you tried using strips cut on the bias? what would be the down side?
    I have only tried this with bias strips. They work fine and there's no shredding. Can't think of a down side.

quilter1147, your baskets are lovely.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Glad to have found this subject today - I just signed up at my guild meeting this morning for next month's workshop - and it's on making fabric bowls! Does anyone have any tips on how to pick beautiful fabric for the bowls themselves? Thanks in advance!

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    If you don't find the cotton cording in the laundry section at Walmart (I didn't and gave up), check the hardware section...they have hidden it there!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    I like the fabric to ravel, looks more baskety . My favorite basket was a surprise from the fabrics I picked.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Blog Entries
    Don't only think "bowls"! I made a pretty large pad that works wonderfully under a 9x13 pan. Wonderful for lasagne or other hot casseroles!
    Sue

I love to make these! I have made several sets of oval placemats as well all scrappy usually with a color theme for a set of 4, and they double as hot pads if necessary. I used sashing cord from Menards and haven't had any problems with it.
    Sherry

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

It is quite difficult to sew through the nylon rope - that is why cotton is preferred.

dd
    Can you wash it? If you made placemats, they would get dirty, at least in my house. So I'm assuming you can wash it?
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Walmart here finally stocked the good cotton clothesline rope after I went to the store manager and said the dept manager said Walmart didn't sell that and never has and I showed him the receipt of the one I bought at another Walmart. It was sold out in less then a week and now it is restocked regularly. That dept manager gives me the evil eye now. LOL
    Good for you, BellaBoo. Now, if I could just find a Walmart that carries the Niagra non-aerosol starch, I would do the same thing. Every one I go into I look, but never find.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Choosing fabric for baskets

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulquilting View Post
    Glad to have found this subject today - I just signed up at my guild meeting this morning for next month's workshop - and it's on making fabric bowls! Does anyone have any tips on how to pick beautiful fabric for the bowls themselves? Thanks in advance!
    I like striped fabric - the swirls are awesome. The closer the stripe, the better. Bright colors
    are always nice. I have found that 'black' in the fabric shows up well. I buy fat quarters
    and if yardage is available, I buy 1/2 to 1 yd. of fabric depending on how much I like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you cutting the stripe on the bias or straight to get the swirls? TIA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast