Finished my dress!!

Old 04-26-2020, 06:46 PM

Beautiful dress! It looks lovely on you. I sew most of my dresses, especially my maternity and motherhood dresses.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:55 AM

It’s really cute!
Old 04-27-2020, 07:06 AM

Congratulations on finishing your dress the other day while it was still on the dress frame I thought it was a blouse. I couldn't tell the length. It looks great on you too. Thanks for sharing. Have fun with that ruffler.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:19 AM

I make about all my clothes. I seldom find something that 1) I like the fabric, 2) I like the pattern, and 3) I can afford. I guess I’m picky. I save some of my good quality quilt cotton (purchased at a great price) for tops or dresses. I make them so they last much longer than ready-made garments that I can afford.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I have to say, that is a fun dress. All those ruffles! Having a dress form makes all the difference in the finished garment. There is no surprises.
I have a blouse in the works right now. It is a pre-embroidered linen. I am not happy with it, so I doubt I will finish it as a blouse. Some things just don't work no matter what. Oh well. I didn't plan and cut the embroidered lines to be in the right place and it looks off to me.
There are some great patterns these days to easily make. I especially like the Vogue and Butterick brands. Very fun to wear one and have everyone love it. My favorite summer blouses are the Lucky brand and so it is hard to reproduce that look. I think I will stick to jackets and dresses for a while.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM

My garment sewing consists of two skirts made from t-shirts and one wrap skirt made from purple paisley faux velvet.

Ha! Even with all my sewing machines, I once hemmed a pair of pants with duct tape.

Garment sewing is a skill I don't have at the moment. Thanks for showing your dresses - as an earlier poster said, the colors are great on you. : )
Old 04-27-2020, 10:54 AM

And what a fine dress that is! Love all the ruffles on it & it sounds like you had fun making it. The red dress is so pretty. Red is my favorite color & I bet it looks great on you also.
I sewed all through high school, college & into my working days. I stopped when I reached close to 60 years old when I got the quilting bug. I've made a few blouses since then but nothing major.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Oh my! That was my go to pattern years ago! My favorite was an orange/pink silky floral. One row of ruffles at the elbows, and three rows at the hem. I also altered it to be sleeveless, and moved the ties up to be empire style. I used to sew most of my garments and my kids clothes. Not so much anymore. Yours are just lovely, especially the red!
Old 04-27-2020, 11:16 AM

GF made this and the corset under it.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:19 AM

this also and the bag. made my vest and modified the rest

see next post

Last edited by leonf; 04-27-2020 at 11:24 AM.