Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is a FIRST for me!

This is a FIRST for me!

A neighbor came here today to request a "reveal" cake. I had no idea what it would be. She said that her daughter is pregnant and doesn't want to know right away the gender of the baby.So I booked it, but she will have to tell me more about it. She said that once the ultrasound it done, it will be placed in a sealed envelope and delivered to me. I'm to tell no one. If it's a boy, I will tint the white batter blue; if it's a girl, pink. The icing and decorations will be a generic baby cake (using pink and blue or different pastels) When she cuts the cake at the shower, all will know. Sounds like fun. Has anyone ever done this before. It's a first for me.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I have never heard of this. Sounds like fun!!

Blog Entries
    i've not done it, but have seen it on TV... lots of fun
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Never heard of it, but it's a cool idea.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I have friends who did this. It was a white 2 layer cake with pink buttercream filling. The cake had white icing with yellow and green decorations.

My niece had a gender reveal. Her sister learned of the gender and filled a box with pink balloons. So when "Mama and Daddy" opened the box, out floated the pink.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    have not heard of this but this is a really great idea. May have to think about doing that if I ever have another grandchild.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Power Poster
    Okay sounds fun in theory.....Am I the only one that wouldn't be able to accurately read an ultrasound picture? Sometimes those little ones are kind of shy on those things.

Sounds like a cute idea.

My story--my daughter's Dr. said the ultrasound showed she was having a girl so I sewed a beautiful little dress to take with me when I went to stay with her a few days before the baby was due---well, Matt arrived on time but never wore the dress. He is now 25 and I still get teased about the dress!!! Hope ultrasounds are more accurate now!!!

Sound like cute way to know the Baby's sex. Oldest Daughter wanted a girl and always hoped for a
    surprise' but all were accurate-- three boys. All three of my babies were a surprise, no ultrasounds then.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Sound like cute way to know the Baby's sex. Oldest Daughter wanted a girl and always hoped for a
    surprise' but all were accurate-- three boys. All three of my babies were a surprise, no ultrasounds then.
    Thank you all for responses and ideas. Way back in the day, the only clue we had was the older women used to predict the gender by the shape of the belly. (Can you believe it?!!) Carry high with a "pointed" belly" meant a boy. A big round belly meant a girl. It was "pretty accurate" with me. But that was just a guess. Most of the parents want to know. My sister's first ultrasound was "a boy" but a beautiful girl was born. Don't remember if she knew what the second one was sixteen years later. He's a grown boy of 21 now. And that girl has three rambunctious boys!
    One step at a time, always forward.

Hey Gail! Sounds like a cool idea! I never heard of it either.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I seen it on TV. was a nice surprise. joyce j

Never heard of it, but sounds wonderful!

I never heard of it either but it's a cute idea!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

My friend's son had a reveal party cake done this way. My Ds and DIL had the Dr. Seal the gender in an envelope and delivered to her mom. She had a giant fortune cookie made and the fortune read " it's a boy!" when they finished with their Chinese dinner they opened the cookie to reveal the gender. Since they live in Texas and we are in Michigan, we saw it via Skype. I love technology!!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    A neighbor came here today to request a "reveal" cake. I had no idea what it would be. She said that her daughter is pregnant and doesn't want to know right away the gender of the baby.So I booked it, but she will have to tell me more about it. She said that once the ultrasound it done, it will be placed in a sealed envelope and delivered to me. I'm to tell no one. If it's a boy, I will tint the white batter blue; if it's a girl, pink. The icing and decorations will be a generic baby cake (using pink and blue or different pastels) When she cuts the cake at the shower, all will know. Sounds like fun. Has anyone ever done this before. It's a first for me.

Sounds like too much fun, and what a great way to be surprised!!!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I've never heard of this but it sounds like fun!
    Shannon

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gladygirl View Post
    My story--my daughter's Dr. said the ultrasound showed she was having a girl so I sewed a beautiful little dress to take with me when I went to stay with her a few days before the baby was due---well, Matt arrived on time but never wore the dress. He is now 25 and I still get teased about the dress!!! Hope ultrasounds are more accurate now!!!
    Yes, same thing happened with my friends. After a shower of little pink dresses, nursery all very feminine in decor, Little Corrine Elaine arrived as Carl Edward! This was 20 years ago and I just heard where the latest methods can tell in the first 3 months. So no more surprises.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    OH how interesting ... might have to mention this to my daughter .. hmmmm..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Sounds like a fun idea!

Sounds like a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for when my daughter gets PG and I have a baby shower for her. But, first we have to make sure not to tell anyone else. What if Mom doesn't want to know ??

Yes, my nephew did this approach when they announce their 2nd baby at a family gathering. It was fun for everyone to learn what they were expecting at the same time. Glad it was accurate. Different approach to making announcement are becoming more and more creative. Love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast