Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
first storm of 2012 to the new york area!! >

first storm of 2012 to the new york area!!

first storm of 2012 to the new york area!!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 PM

Talking first storm of 2012 to the new york area!!

5 to 8 inches of snow tomorrow!!!! guess slow cooking pork roast in the oven and quilt all day. what will you be doing in the New York area tomorrow on our 1st snow day of 2012????
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM

I'll be here on Long Island happy that I don't have to drive in it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Send it to Kansas as the wheat crop down here is in desperate need of snow as much as I don't care for the stuff...........lol
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM

My son was all over NY last wekk delivering and all the way up to VT. He said he thought he was in reading teh calendar wrong as he could not find snow anywhere. Guess he eft too early Enjoy your day.
We are to get freezing rain. Hate it when it gets so slick out from teh black ice. Would rather have snow.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Id love to sit and quilt all day while it snowed outside! Fat chance of that happening as we were 76' here today.in Texas that is! Enjoy it for us all okay?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM

A dusting last night outside of Albany, NY, maybe 3" due Saturday. Very unusual Winter here. Last year I had snow starting in Oct that never melted, and several whopper snowstorms to contend with. Still had a few snow pockets in the woods in early May! Rainy last week, occ zero or below at night, yet expecting 40 degrees plus on Monday. Still have 2/3 cord of wood on the deck to split (hydraulic splitter), but think I'll wait a few days. Plan to sew with the Guild later today. Guess I better head for bed or I won't get up in time. Tatavw01- I used to work in the City, lived in Westchester for over 25 years. I remember well having blizzards and extreme problems getting to the Scarborough train station, but still had to get to the City for work, even when Westchester was shut down. NYC in the snow was beautiful- and even peaceful at times. I miss good bread!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Hope you enjoy it! We are waiting for flooding, rain and wind after our big snow followed by ice storm in the PNW. Here in Aberdeen, WA we had 8-10 inches --34 miles away my Mom had 16" and another ten miles down the road they had 25" all in a brief period of time. Power outages from downed trees and roads closed for same as well as Amtrak service between Seattle and Portland suspended due to trees on tracks. It was pretty, but when power is out and you don't have alternative heat source it can be a bit much. But most people had their laptops and cell phones well charged. LOL
Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

I am from western new york. We finally got some snow here. Cold today so i plan to make a big pot of chili and spend the day working on more blocks for my glorified 9 patch. Love when I can just cuddle up in my sewing room.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 AM

I will be stitching away in my sewing room. I call these days "hunker down days" I live 10 miles south of Albany!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 AM

When you live in Texas, you really don'y need a good excuse to quilt, do you? You can't depend on the Texas weather to do what the weather "gurus" say it going to do anyway and even if it starts out that way, it changes every 15 minutes. HAHAHA.....IF we do have a nice rainy day here (few and far between lately), that a good day for burying myself in my sewing room and quilting. Guess I really don't need a good excuse to quilt tho.
You NY gals have a good time tho. I'm just not much of a snow person, being a Texas gal....I think the snow is pretty as long as it doesn't stay longer than a day..then I want it to be back in the 60's or 70's. I probably wouldn't make it very long up north, huh?