Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me It Will Be Worth it!!

Blog Entries

Tell Me It Will Be Worth it!!

Ok, for all your re-decorators and organizers, please tell me that it will be worth it when it's all done!! My grandson is in the process of repainting the entire interior of my home and he's doing it on weekends and at night (when he can). I'm not much help to him because I've been in a Fibro Flare it seems like forever!

Everything has been taken off the walls and stacked where ever, furniture has been moved and my master bathroom is in a state of chaos! In addition, my grandson is living with me temporarily since he lost his roommate and couldn't afford apt rent on his own so now there is all his things to find a place for (mostly clothes...that boy has some clothes now...more than me!). He's just 21, turning 22 in 2 weeks, and sweet as can be and helps me do things, but he's still a "male"!! LOL He's in the guest/toy room, complete with twin bed and crib so he doesn't have a lot of space either. My house isn't very large.

We both have little paths made thru everything and it's only been this way for about 2 weeks but I'm beginning to feel claustaphobic and depressed!! Just needed to vent a little because I'm feeling really down about everything right now and know that I shouldn't be!!

Thanks for listening to an impatient me!!

Not quite in the same boat but I feel your stress. We're putting new flooring in our dining room. Started this past Mon. Had to unload the china cabinet so I have 2 sets of china for 12 sitting on my kitchen counters. I have 5 boxes of glasses/crystal in other parts of the house. Table has legs off and is behind the recliners in the LR. This means I can't lean back in my chair when quilting - geez. Chairs are stacked on top of themselves and china cabinet in DR. Tables leaves are in the bedroom. Granted, the floor is completely installed just the moulding needs to be re-attached now. But since this flooring is lower than the previous there is exposed sheetrock. Now I'm going to have to paint in there before putting everything back. This much clutter and disorganization is making me crazy which is why I've been awake since 2:30AM and can respond to you at this hour! Good luck.

Just keep saying, "this too will pass, this too will pass". Say it aloud at least once every half hour. You will begin to believe it after a few days, maybe.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    It will be worth it in the end and you will be very happy you did it. My house had been in an uproar for what seemed forever but now i can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am so glad we kept going. Just one more room to go.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Find a corner and start making a quilt! Just turn away and don't look at the mess. It will calm you to work on a project and not think about the mess everywhere. Good luck for a speedy finish!

Blog Entries
    Yikes! I feel your discomfort! My dh is a great handyperson, but in our last house it took him ***3 years*** to finish re-papering the bathroom. I could provide some other DIY horror stories, but I don't want to go there again.

Blog Entries
    Morning everyone! (Notice i didn't say "good"! After being up all nite and finally falling asleep around 7:30 AM, alarm went off at 10:00...why is that sleep is so good when the alarm goes off????

"This do shall pass"....my mantra for the next few hours anyway!

Good thought about finding a corner and working on a quilt/sewing...let's see....hmm...where can i find that corner? LOL...so off to hunt it!

Or maybe I'll just sit here on the QB for a little while...or take a nap!

Oh my goodness! I would have to say "one room at a time"!! :-)

It will be worth it in the end. You are so lucky to have him to do it for you as the expense of of hiring painters is very expensive.

Power Poster
    You need a haven! Ask him to concentrate on getting your sewing room finished. Once that is done you can go in there, shut the door and quilt your troubles away. The rest of the house can fall down around me as long as I have my sewing room. I hate remodeling but yes, it does look great when it's done.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    The house will be BEAUTIFUL when finished...

I agree, have him work in one room at a time. First one being the SEWING ROOM or sewing corner if you dont have a room.. Once you feel the comfort of 'back in the groove' of sewing maybe it'll make you feel better and hopefully looking forward to a WONDERFUL job your GS has done for you.

I understand....The reason your fibro is flaring is all the stress...You won't stop flaring until you get a hold of yourself and let the stress run off your back...like water on a duck...
    My oldest son started to work on my kitchen cabinets 6 weeks before his brothers wedding...all he had to do was paint the walls and then sand the cabinets and paint them...he finished 1 week before the wedding that was being held at our house...
    The fact that I didn;t end up in jail for murder was a miracle. He kept adding on things to do, instead of finishing one thing at a time. And if I told him 1 at a time, he got all huffy and told me I didn't know how to do things....

I hope you can destress....take some time to quilt...listen to some of your music...not his...and chill out, as they say...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I'd try to chill out & enjoy making memories with your grandson. All our family are at least 5 hours driving time away. I always think in difficult times "This will be a funny story one day". Be glad for the gift of time with your grandson. Sorry if it sounds like preaching, but I've found life is what you focus on.Best of luck!

Blog Entries
    My DH Never finishes a remodeling project here. He has been putting up drywall in the garage for 11 years. I finally started it l2 years ago. I insulated it and went and bought the drywall. He hung it and partially finished it. It has been sitting that way for a year. All it needs is the final sanding and paint. I will end up doing it when the weather warms up. I couldn't do it last summer because of rotator cuff surgery. Also in the living room we had crown moulding installed 3 years ago. He still hasn't caulked the holes in it. I guess that is on my list for summer too. THe list is endless.

Blog Entries
    Well, after being couch bound for a couple of days, seems like today, I have a clear mind and a plan...when my grandson gets home that is! LOL He spent the night with friends and I figure they stayed up all night. But I can't fault him for that as he's still young and he does work full time at a great job!

The tip of doing one room at a time is great! But once he starts painting he wants to continue from room to room so he doesn't have to do so much paint cleanup! I'm going to get him to help me "organize" some things so everything isn't so totally out of place, then I can make my "area" and be less stressed. Thankfully, I DON"T have to rush all this!! And I'm going to have my Professional Organizer (Gift) come as soon as it's done!!!!!!!!

star619, you are so right...making memories is very important, especially with this grandson as he's been basically motherless for most of his life...long, long story and won't go into it here. I can't be a mother to him but I've always tried to give him a good womanly example.

My mantra for today is "no stress, no stress, no stress"!!

Here's a painting tip that can help him save time and energy: If you know you're going to be painting again within a few days, instead of cleaning your brush -wrap it up in aluminum foil and put the whole thing in a plastic bag. Wrap the bag around the whole thing and let the brush weigh it down. The paint will not dry on the brush and it will stay usable for days. I also do this with rollers and the roller tray if I know I'll need it the next day.

Hope this helps.
    Sally

Banned
    Had it ,many times AND wanted to scream when I was told------"it will be good when it's done!"

I can relate to how you are feeling. We are living in an old farmhouse that needed lots of TLC when we bought it. Every summer/spring, Last year, we decided to redo the 2 rooms upstairs which is my sewing space. We insulated walls, floors and ceilins and put up sheetrock and then laid carpet. It took 4 months and I thought we'd never get done. But we did and are still married to each other. It was worth every minute of it now that I have this beautiful space to sew in. Once your painting is done, you will feel the same way. Find a corner and sew when you can!
    I made it to the mtns and love every minute of it!

Yes, This to will pass is what I have been saying for the last 3 days with no power and a wood stove to keep me warm and to cook on. Still can't use the phone. Yes I know its only 3 days. but it was a long 3 days. I am so happy they got our power on last night around 11P.M. PST What a storm we had. Of course I was working on a quilt, good thing I decided to hand piece this one as it gave me something to do.
    I didn't mean to grab the spot light or make light of your situation. But with the fibro flare I deffinently feel your pain. I had a few ladies here on the board intoduce me to Magnesium Malate. A little hard to find but it sure does help. I take 6-8 pills a day on a bad day. When I was in Ca. for two weeks I took two a day. It must not like this cold damp weather we have here in the PNW. So I wish you well with your project. This to will pass. and it does.
    Be thankful for what you have,Be creative and Inovative. Think differently and Positively. When life gives you 100 reasons to cry.Show life you have 1000 reasons to smile.

How wonderful to have a grandson willing to help AND MOVE IN. For some of us it is pretty lonely. Amid the mess remind yourself you still have a grandson who is alive and cares about you.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I live like that all the time...

Just think what it will look like done. We did some work on our house (took shag carpet, flock wall paper and gold bathrooms) about 10 years ago. It took over a year, but when it was done, everything looked great.

You are lucky to have a grandson that is willing to help you. Yes the mess is overwhelming at times. I do most of the work at my home and I put new laminate flooring in two rooms. Taking everything out and living with the mess is hard and I'm by myself but it still got to me. I also painted the rooms. I just kept saying I'm making the rooms the way I want and it will look beautiful when done. Kept saying this and when it was done I just love it. I have my sewing room I want to redo and get a sewing cabinet first and organize it. This will be done at a later time but I will enjoy planning it & starting it. Just relax and don't let the stress make you sick. Stress can do a lot of things to our body so I just meditate and do some yoga. It helps!! Send pictures when everything is done. Also one room at a time is a good idea.

It will SO be worth it. Hang in there. There were several good tips posted here. Hope they help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    Here's a painting tip that can help him save time and energy: If you know you're going to be painting again within a few days, instead of cleaning your brush -wrap it up in aluminum foil and put the whole thing in a plastic bag. Wrap the bag around the whole thing and let the brush weigh it down. The paint will not dry on the brush and it will stay usable for days. I also do this with rollers and the roller tray if I know I'll need it the next day.

Hope this helps.
    This is a good tip, this is how I paint (although I didn't know about the foil). I wrap my brush in plastic wrap or a plastic bag, and cover the paint tray AND roller with plastic wrap. I smush the wrap all around the roller and tuck it under, and make sure every surface of the paint is coming into contact with plastic wrap. Works beautifully.

Hope your grandson is able to get at least one room done soon so you can have a restful place to relax. What a nice grandson, to do all that work for you. He must love and appreciate you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast