Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward >

FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward

FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward

Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM

My home in Florida opened inwards. Cannot even recall any that opened the other way. I know my daughter's open inward.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Most of my doors have opened in. The only exception was in my mobile home which opened out. Hated it that way, but didn't take up wall space inside.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the things I learn from fellow board members.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM

I have two doors in my Florida house, one opens OUT and one opens IN. Both doors in my old NY house opened IN. Go figure.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Now that I think about this, it makes perfect sense. I lived on the west coast when I lived in Florida. On the gulf side of my house, all the doors opened out. On the street side, they opened in. Never gave it a second thought at the time. But, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM

I moved down to FL in 2001 and we had our house built and the doors opened in and the new house we built in 2004 they open out. Which, I hate because you can't put up a storm (screen) door. It does have to due with hurricanes.But, then again the new house has hurricane shutters. ???
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM

We saw a really neat thing when we were in FL this spring. One of the condos had a screen door that fastened to the wall all rolled up and when you wanted to use it, you pulled it to the other side and connected it somehow.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by lots2do
We saw a really neat thing when we were in FL this spring. One of the condos had a screen door that fastened to the wall all rolled up and when you wanted to use it, you pulled it to the other side and connected it somehow.
I posted this on the Texas screen thread:
http://www.phantomscreens.com/produc...oduct-details/
I love these. As I wrote on the other thread, there are less expensive versions also available. And it's an easy DIY install.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM

I am going to reverse the door between my garage and house so that it opens out. The hinges will be on the outside but you take out a screw and put a pin in one side of each of the hinges and a hole on the opposite side for the pin to fit in when the door is closed. It eliminates the ability to remove the hinges and remove the door which will make me happier since I won't be seeing the door pushed into my washer and dryer.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I've been watching HGTV home buying shows and I keep seeing homes in Florida that have front doors that open outward. Is this a Florida thing? What is the reason behind this? I'm dying of curiosity. :|
I have one door that opens in, (love it) and one that opens out.(hate it) I live in a house that is north/south facing, and to get a breeze in the summer, I have to lock my dogs up, since I have to use a hanging screen door, and it is not facing the fenced area of my yard. Having said that, all I can say is "Thank God someone invented AC"