Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward >

FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward

FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by carhop
Originaly it was because the gators if there was one at your doorstep you could push it off or keep it closed if it tried to get in, they are very strong
With hurricanes and gators I think I'll stay here up north. We don't have that problem with snow. lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Mobile Home doors open out due to fire danger. Are there a lot of MH's in FL? Haven't been there since 1965. I am sure things have changed a bit since then. lol !
Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
That makes a LOT of sense MTS
I never really thought about this before :D:D:D
me either...and guess where I is, and today is tomorrow! :shock:
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by ontheriver
I'd lived in Florida most of my life until moving to Alabama last year, and all my front doors that I remember opened in and the screen doors opened out. Yes, hurricane season starts Wed, June 1. Won't miss being in Pensacola for that.
The homes they were showing on HGTV were fairly "new" homes, so maybe this is a new building code??? Maybe other Floridians will weigh in on this question.
I think it is new too, bc mine does not open "out", and I have had a gator in my yard, but my dog didn't let him come to the door!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Mousie
Originally Posted by ontheriver
I'd lived in Florida most of my life until moving to Alabama last year, and all my front doors that I remember opened in and the screen doors opened out. Yes, hurricane season starts Wed, June 1. Won't miss being in Pensacola for that.
The homes they were showing on HGTV were fairly "new" homes, so maybe this is a new building code??? Maybe other Floridians will weigh in on this question.
I think it is new too, bc mine does not open "out", and I have had a gator in my yard, but my dog didn't let him come to the door!
I think the new building codes were instituted back in 1998/(9?).

I'm pretty sure any new construction of houses/apts/condos built after that date also had to/have to come with hurricane shutters for every window/sliding door, or impact (shatter proof) glass.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM

I bet it's so the aligators can't push the doors in!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 AM

I've been watching HGTV home buying shows and I keep seeing homes in Florida that have front doors that open outward. Is this a Florida thing? What is the reason behind this? I'm dying of curiosity. :|
Are you talking about Front doors or Back doors?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I've been watching HGTV home buying shows and I keep seeing homes in Florida that have front doors that open outward. Is this a Florida thing? What is the reason behind this? I'm dying of curiosity. :|
The doors I saw were front doors. The program was about house hunting and the homes looked relatively new.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
The doors I saw were front doors. The program was about house hunting and the homes looked relatively new.
Were the homes they were looking at on the water - as in waterfront?

I know that building codes in FL have had a lot on changes to them in the last couple of years. Homes on the water - or in flood zones - have to be on stilts.

New construction has to be built on stilts - living area is on the 2nd floor - or X amount (not sure what the # is) above sea level. This also applies to remodelling if it is over - a certain % - again not sure the %.

I am not sure about front doors opening outward - we built our house over 20 yrs ago. Our front doors (double doors) open in - Door into garage opens out. The side door going out from the our 3 car garage opens out, since the door can't open in because it would hit our cars. We have 3 sets of glass doors that go to out to the screened pool area in the back yard they are triple sliding glass doors that pocket into each other - so they don't open in or open out - they open side ways

I will have to ask my son about the doors & codes in FL- he is a flood adjuster for FEMA. He is away at the moment in Mississippi. River/water has finally gone down enough to be able to do adjustments, although they had to be taken by boat to several of the properties- He had gone out 2 weeks ago & was only able to 3 or 4 claims - the balance were still under water.
I feel so sorry for the people that have been affected by these floods - they are in my prays every night.
God bless them
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

My front door open IN and I live in FL.