Flannel for burp cloths

Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Flannel for burp cloths

I plan to make absorbent burp cloths for my first grandchild to be born in December. (Of course I am making quilts as well!) What is the best quality flannel and baby terry cloth? These will be washed frequently and be well used. I hope !
Thanks
Mary Ann
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I have not found a brand of flannel that is best. I've bought from Walmart that worked well and some that pilled. I have bought LQS flannel that was good and some that pilled. I have even bought the same flannel a different times and had it be different. I wish there was a go to brand for high quality non-pilling guaranteed flannel but I have't found it. Maybe someone else will have a source for you.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by marand
I plan to make absorbent burp cloths for my first grandchild to be born in December. (Of course I am making quilts as well!) What is the best quality flannel and baby terry cloth? These will be washed frequently and be well used. I hope !
Thanks
Mary Ann
Cloth diapers, with a bit of printed fabric down the center, make good burp cloths.

I may be wrong, but I'd think the cheaper, looser weaves of flannel would be most absorbent. I've got some flannel that I love working with, but it's got a real tight weave and is almost slick.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM

My DD received some burp clothes her friend made her for her shower. I like the one that was an hour glass shape cause it adhered to your shoulder and was more comfortable.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM

I have made well over a hundred burp cloths (for kids and friends of kids who were having children). Mine are roughly fat quarter sizes and made of 2 pieces of flannel with rounded corners. When shopping for flannel I do a lot of feeling as I have found that some of the stiffer feeling flannels never soften up. I buy fat quarters or no more than 1/2 yard of the flannel and wash and dry it (I buy the flannel anywhere I find it -- LQS, Joanns, etc). Once I wash it I feel it and only use the softest. Flannel shrinks when washed -- and no 2 pieces even from the same manufacturer shrink the same. I have also had flannel become threadbare -- both LQS and others. After washing, I pick the softest pieces for the burp cloths because (I have been told) they make great snot rags as the little ones get older. The rejects go into scrappy backs.

I have never used baby terry cloth -- sorry.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 PM

I use diapers when I make burp cloths. They seem to hold up better. Most of the people I have made them for have requested them out of diapers. Wal Mart has a package of 12 for $13.00. I put ribbon a small embroidery pic and their name or initials, what ever they ask.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 AM

I'm a new grandma. I made a bunch of burp cloths for my DD using the heaviest cloth diapers I could find. I put flannel on the front so they're pretty, but still practical in case my new GS spits up a lot (I've seen some babies who threw up a lot, poor dears). Luckily, he doesn't spit up at all so far. I used a variety of flannels, some tighter than others, but they all seemed adequate.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 AM
dd

I used the flannel from JoAnns when it was on sale. They got pilly but they also got used every day and stained. My grandson spit up a lot. They were all over the house and the car. They were always in the laundry and after 4 years, I still have them. I will say, they absorb better if you don't use fabric softener.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:52 AM
dd

Years ago JoAnns used to sell Killington flannel. It was more expensive but it didn't pill. I used it on a jacket and have never had pills Not sure if it's still available or not. Might be able to find it on the web.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 AM

I have made 1000's of burp cloths out of flannel, and this is what I have found - I do a feel test on the flannel, only the softest will do, and I have bought it from LQS, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, as long as it is really soft I buy it. I often use "Diaper Flannel" from a local shop that sells to the Amish (to make their own diapers), that works really well for one side, I usually put a print on one side and a solid or diaper flannel on the other side. I have even put a good quality cotton on one side if it is a certain theme that someone has. But I think that what makes them the most absorbent is the batting in the middle, I always put quilt batting between the layers. I always make them hour glass shape, and can get 8 sides out of a yard of material (or 4 of 2 sides), so that will give you an idea of how big I make them. I started making them for my DD when my first grandbaby was due, and after experimenting with different shapes and combinations of material etc, I have settled on this shape, size etc. I have requests for my burp cloths and bibs all the time, as I usually make them in sets, and I do the same flannel, batting combination in the bibs too. They are so soft and absorbent that I can't make them fast enough. The size looks big, but if the baby spits up a lot, the mother appreciates the size as it catches more. Good Luck and have fun!!