Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: flash flood in Arkansas

Banned
    They call it a river but its more like a creek so can you imagine it being 23 feet deep and rushing??! I don't think I've ever seen the water in most places over 3 feet deep. All the roads that we used to ride on are gone! Thats how high and fast the water was rushing. I just can't beleive this!

swim area
    Name:  Attachment-83559.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  25.1 KB

river (creek) that runs thru the campground
    Name:  Attachment-83560.jpe
Views: 4
Size:  89.5 KB

Banned

Sounds like there are 40 missing that they KNOW of. It may be days before some people are even missed. Were the records of "who's where" able to be saved? Were there any records? Were the records complete or can you just drive in and camp without anyone knowing about it? Marsye do you know the answers to any of my questions since you live nearby?
    They are saying that some people could have been washed 10-12 miles down the river and could take days to find them....or maybe never. The only record would be for those registered in the actual campground or the cabins. Many people just set up camp anywhere in the woods along side the river. This time of year there are usually so many people its hard to find a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by marsye

Sounds like there are 40 missing that they KNOW of. It may be days before some people are even missed. Were the records of "who's where" able to be saved? Were there any records? Were the records complete or can you just drive in and camp without anyone knowing about it? Marsye do you know the answers to any of my questions since you live nearby?
    They are saying that some people could have been washed 10-12 miles down the river and could take days to find them....or maybe never. The only record would be for those registered in the actual campground or the cabins. Many people just set up camp anywhere in the woods along side the river. This time of year there are usually so many people its hard to find a spot.
    So in actuality there could be hundreds of people involved! This is just too sad to contemplate. It's just mind boggling that a place so peaceful looking could turn so deadly in so little time and with no way to warn people. I know tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. can all be deadly but usually there's at least some warning so that you can get to safety. Almost all of these people were probably sleeping.

So very, very sad. These people were most likely sleeping and never knew what hit them. To think any one of us could be out enjoying a peaceful, beautiful spot like that and then, all of a sudden the tranquility is broken by tragedy. Such a devastating freak of nature.

That is the storm that went through Austin on wed we had 5 in of rain that morning. South of us had flooding. They were just talking about the flooding in Ark on the news.

Banned
    Theres no telling how many people were in the area!!! We are watching local news now and it just showed a church they were using for a shelter and it was packed with people. Most of the people that got out lost their vehicles and everything they took with them. Many from Texas. They just said one person lost 6 family members!! Its awful!

How tragic, my heart goes out to them.

Blog Entries
    This is breaking my heart.

Banned
    Now they are saying there were aprox. 300 people in the campground but thats not counting all the people that just set up camp all along the river.

This is so sad, my heart just goes out to those people. Everything happened so fast it is amazing!

JJs
    Banned
    How far is this from Lake Greeson? We stayed at Swaha Lodge a couple of years ago..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    How far is this from Lake Greeson? We stayed at Swaha Lodge a couple of years ago..
    Not very far, maybe 30 minutes from Albert Pike.

Glad to hear you are OK Marsye! I was worried about ya! I'm glad we did not move down there.....we went through there when we went to Mena. I almost cried when I saw it on the tv..so sad....Prayers are with all of those who are looking for their loved ones.

Many prayers are said for all. So sad

Blog Entries
    My heart and prayers are going out to the families. It break my heart to hear about children and families are missing.

Aw, so sad. I am sending Prayers, too!

Banned
    They just said on the news that they found a body 8 miles down river!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So glad you are O.K. Marsye, but we will keep everyone in our prayers. I've not heard the news all day since I was at work, and we haven't turned the TV or radio on yet at home.
    So quiet in here - it's nice.
    I'll need to watch the news ---- or just wait for Marsye to report it to us here..
    Thank you for the updates!

Any word about the boy scouts?? So sad. Prayers for all. Thanks Marsye for the updates.

Banned
    Its all I've heard all day. Even while company was here we just sat and listened to the scanner and watched the news. Because its so close to home and we go there alot it feels like a knife in my gut especially when the sheriff called for 50 body bags and a refrigerated truck. Its just sickening and theres nothing I can do about it. :cry: We are going that way tomorrow but they are not letting anyone in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    Any word about the boy scouts?? So sad. Prayers for all. Thanks Marsye for the updates.
    We heard on the news that they were all ok and they helped other people. :thumbup:

Pam
    YAY!! Gotta love the Boy Scouts. Just think how well they will be received when they return home, heros after helping with flood victims.

Thank you Marsye. My son is an Eagle Scout. Anytime there's something happening with the scouts, I worry. I was a scout Mom for 10 years. Been on many campouts with them. As a matter of fact my son is working at scout camp in TN right now.
    So thankfull the TX scout are ok and were able to help the other victums.

I just heard from my friend and they were not in the area.

I am so sad to hear about this tragedy. In almost a blink of the eye--people swept away.

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    Oh my gosh. Just heard the news. I have a friend who lives in AR and was planning to go RVing for a few days--she did not say where to. I think I met her through this forum. Now I am so worried. I put out a post to her privately=--hope to hear back. Chewing fingernails here.

I saw a video of the area and a woman was talking about one of the survivors--a woman that has yet to find her husband, young son and young daughter. The children(I believe) weren't even school age yet. They had gotten in their truck trying to leave when the flood waters hit and knocked their truck over and into something. They were all thrown from the truck and she just happened to find a tree to cling to. I still can't imagine the anquish she must be going through but I sat at the computer and cried for her and the others.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast