Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110

Thread: flash flood in Arkansas

  1. #1
    Super Member redquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,928
    Oh my goodness - I just heard about a flash flood that killed about 10 people at a campsite. Hope all our friends here and their loved ones are OK. Prayers for those who didn't make it. Very sad.

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    so sad, I hadn't heard that, thanks for letting us know and prayers for them and families

  3. #3
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37637416/ns/us_news-life/

    Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    Oh my goodness - I just heard about a flash flood that killed about 10 people at a campsite. Hope all our friends here and their loved ones are OK. Prayers for those who didn't make it. Very sad.

  4. #4
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    I hadn't heard about it either.

    My prayers are with them!

  5. #5
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow, I hadn't heard of this, but it's really sad. :(

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    I just heard about it myself and I live here! Its about 15 miles from here. They say an extreme flash flood hit that area about 3 this morning. So far 10 people dead and 50 or so missing. Cars, trucks and camp trailers/ rv's scattered everywhere. The campground and swimming area sits right on a small river and in a remote area away from anything. Its a very popular place. Its usually full of people from all over, especially Tx, Ok. and La. I have been listening to the scanner all morning and it sounds awful! :cry:

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Now they are say 12 dead, many still trapped and missing. They have set up a refrigerated truck for a temporary morgue. :cry:

  8. #8
    Super Member redquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,928
    Yes, just heard 12 dead. What an awful tragedy.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    Yes, just heard 12 dead. What an awful tragedy.
    They are thinking alot of the missing may be buried under the mud. :cry:

  10. #10
    Senior Member AtHomeSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW USA
    Posts
    896
    Oh no!!! I hadn't heard about this. How tragic.

  11. #11
    Super Member redquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,928
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    Yes, just heard 12 dead. What an awful tragedy.
    They are thinking alot of the missing may be buried under the mud. :cry:
    Oh dear. Those poor people.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    Yes, just heard 12 dead. What an awful tragedy.
    They are thinking alot of the missing may be buried under the mud. :cry:
    Oh dear. Those poor people.
    They just said on the scanner they are sending out 50 body bags. This is chilling! :?

  13. #13
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    Oh my gosh. Just heard the news. I have a friend who lives in AR and was planning to go RVing for a few days--she did not say where to. I think I met her through this forum. Now I am so worried. I put out a post to her privately=--hope to hear back. Chewing fingernails here.

  14. #14
    Super Member kacy 49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,048
    Oh my goodness, how awful. Prayers going out to these families and all involved.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Such a tragedy!

  16. #16
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621
    The news now says 14 dead, hope they find everyone.

  17. #17
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    Very scary stuff indeed. I am sure there was no warning, how would they know it was coming? This is a tragedy, so sad.

  18. #18
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    My DH has been keeping me up on it all day. Marsye, I'll tell him about your last post. 16 now and according to CNN a lot of the dead and missing are children. CNN said that the river went from 3' deep to 21' deep in a matter of minutes.

  19. #19
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    This is so sad. Families out enjoying a nice time together and this happens. It's so unfair! I don't know of anyone in that area that would have ever imagine a flood like this could happen.

  20. #20
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    How tragic for all involved

  21. #21
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,937
    I just heard it a while ago too. We live about 4 miles from the AR state line.

  22. #22
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have been following it on the weather channel. Last I heard the count was up to 20. I hope there aren't anymore. This is so tragic.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    The dead count is now 20 and 40+ still missing. They said on the news that a bus full of boy scouts were also there from Texas. The campground was full!!! Also all along the many roads out in that area that were along side the river people set up camps on any spot they could find so theres no telling how many people were actually in the area. There used to be several roads into this place (we've been on all of them by car and 4 wheelers) but now only one and they had to make that one. This place is so far into the woods and mountains so the rescue efforts are not easy. There is absolutely no cell service in that area and no phone service. And is even hard sometimes for law enforcement to transmit. We are sitting here listening to the scanner and watching it on CNN & other channels and its sounding worse all the time. Is hard to believe this is happening just a few miles from us! Especially since we only got an inch of rain last night!!! We were there just a few days ago but the way it sounds it will be a long time before anybody can get in there again.

  24. #24
    Senior Member laurlync's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas
    Posts
    630
    Growing up, we camped there often. I have been there a few times on day trips in the last few years. Marsye is right about how remote an area this is with no cell service. My sons have made several trips there with their friends and just camped where they could find a spot because, during the summer, it is hard to find a spot to rent. It is a beautiful area and a lot of families look forward to camping there every year. In a lot of the areas, there are steep mountains on both sides of the river, so anyone camped in these areas would have been literally trapped. We have climbed lots of these steep areas, but I couldn't even imagine trying to do something like that in the dark, with the rain pouring and water rising. This is truely a disaster and I pray that those still missing will be found safe.

  25. #25
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    The dead count is now 20 and 40+ still missing. They said on the news that a bus full of boy scouts were also there from Texas. The campground was full!!! Also all along the many roads out in that area that were along side the river people set up camps on any spot they could find so theres no telling how many people were actually in the area. There used to be several roads into this place (we've been on all of them by car and 4 wheelers) but now only one and they had to make that one. This place is so far into the woods and mountains so the rescue efforts are not easy. There is absolutely no cell service in that area and no phone service. And is even hard sometimes for law enforcement to transmit. We are sitting here listening to the scanner and watching it on CNN & other channels and its sounding worse all the time. Is hard to believe this is happening just a few miles from us! Especially since we only got an inch of rain last night!!! We were there just a few days ago but the way it sounds it will be a long time before anybody can get in there again.
    Sounds like there are 40 missing that they KNOW of. It may be days before some people are even missed. Were the records of "who's where" able to be saved? Were there any records? Were the records complete or can you just drive in and camp without anyone knowing about it? Marsye do you know the answers to any of my questions since you live nearby?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.