Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: FLAT RATE ENVELOPES

  1. #1
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    I thought I would pass this on to you -

    I brought a flat rate envelope to the PO this afternoon. It had a bubble wrapped box in it, which fit into the envelope. The flap did "just" close - I was told they would take it this time, but they were changing the flat rate rules. Apparently flat rate envelopes in the future - can only be 3/4" thick and what you put in it can not make the envelope "out of shape," and the flap on the envelope could not be taped shut.

    I am not sure if this will affect anyone else, but in the past I've been able to ship Bingo games, baby clothes, fabric, vintage computer games and other rect/square items that could fit in the envelope, as long as the flap would close over it.
    I am not a happy camper

  2. #2
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    One of the Quilt shops I get emails from recently sent out a message stating that she has a letter from the post office apologizing and stating that they will not enforce the 3/4" new rule. They will honor the "if it fits, it ships."

  3. #3
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Hey June...I think it depends on who waits on you at the PO. I was told a loooong time ago that those were the rules. I've always been able to get mine to be mailed though and sometimes the thing would just barely seal...barely being the key word.

  4. #4
    Super Member Zappycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,301
    Oh, this is ridiculous!! I am not happy either! You should SEE what I can stuff into those envelopes! When are these rules supposed to change?

    I actually reinforce the INSIDE of the envelopes and even if I had only a piece of paper in them, I would still tape them shut. The post office is becoming such a rip off. I am all for them going to 4 or 5 day mail delivery if they would just STOP gouging us!!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    it must be a regional thing...my post office has never told me that. In fact, some of my envelopes have the saying "if it fits, it ships"...so I'm going with that motto!

  6. #6
    Super Member Zappycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Hey June...I think it depends on who waits on you at the PO. I was told a loooong time ago that those were the rules. I've always been able to get mine to be mailed though and sometimes the thing would just barely seal...barely being the key word.
    This is true too. I actually changed post offices because one gave me a hard time... the other one laughed and congratulated me for getting so much into the envelope. I would be standing in line and the postal worker would be telling everyone else in line that I was an expert at packing that flat rate envelope. So, maybe it depends on where you go!

  7. #7
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have the postal worker stuff a flat rate envelope for me. She said as long as the flap can be closed it can be shipped. Then she taped the flap and said there you go.

  8. #8
    Super Member Kathy N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,008
    Their machines chew up the envelopes so we would be crazy not to tape. I go out of my way to the post office that has the prioritymail machine so I don't have to go thru a clerk. It has always had the 3/4" warning, but it still takes the pkg.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have heard this from others..but here mine make a contest out of who can fit the most in one! It can only have 1 piece of tape across the top though!

  10. #10
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    I don't know - Usually there are 3 men that work at this PO - today there was a woman helping - The worker that told me the new ruled, did give the woman a dirty look when she commented on my package shape. I know that 1st class is not going up, but I thought I saw somewhere on the board that other postal package rates were going up. The PO does advertise it "If it fits it ships" - I don't know. I'm just passing on what happened to me.

  11. #11
    Colorful Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Paris, TN
    Posts
    832
    My mother was sending me a birthday pkg. and the postal worker asked if she included a card in the pkg. my mom [who wouldn't lie} said yes and they charged her extra for it...So far that has never happened to me but we live in different states

  12. #12
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I ship a lot of things in those flat rate envelopes. I tape the heck out of them b/c I've received some in really bad shape.
    I am very tired of the attitudes of some postal workers.
    I have all my stuff picked up by my mailman and rarely go to the post office.
    I'd rather go to the dentist! :D:D

  13. #13
    Super Member shawnemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ilion, NY
    Posts
    1,414
    And when more and more people use UPS they wonder why,,,,,,,,,,

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I ship a lot of things in those flat rate envelopes. I tape the heck out of them b/c I've received some in really bad shape.
    I am very tired of the attitudes of some postal workers.
    I have all my stuff picked up by my mailman and rarely go to the post office.
    I'd rather go to the dentist! :D:D
    they can refuse to pick it up..or they can send it back to YOU the next day...I have heard of that happening...

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnemily
    And when more and more people use UPS they wonder why,,,,,,,,,,
    BUT UPS won't ship most of what we mail, and they will NOT deliver it....like it or not the USPS does have a purpose and it will remain a NEED to have business.....

  16. #16
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Jacquie,yes they could but I haven't had any trouble at all.
    Keeping my fingers crossed :D

  17. #17
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I have heard this from others..but here mine make a contest out of who can fit the most in one! It can only have 1 piece of tape across the top though!
    After receiving packages that have been half destroyed by PO machines, I have started taping not only the closure but around the edges as well. On not only Flat Rate envelopes but especially books. And if my envelope has one of those metal clasps on it - I yank it off with pliers - I have gotten packages with them just taped over, that have gotten caught in a sorting machine - the end results were not pretty.

  18. #18
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Yes, June, I do the same.
    I have a feeling though that they are going to get tougher on us. I ship a lot of things overseas and I just have a bad feeling about it.
    I'm ready to close up my ebay business and postage is one reason :(

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Yes, June, I do the same.
    I have a feeling though that they are going to get tougher on us. I ship a lot of things overseas and I just have a bad feeling about it.
    I'm ready to close up my ebay business and postage is one reason :(
    ME too...after 10 years, between the ebay crap and postage crap and the new tax laws...it is no longer any fun...nor is it profitable...

  20. #20
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    Did yall know that you can mail a package directly from your mail box even if you don't know the rate? My sister told me that the "carrier" was obligated to take that package, weigh it for you and put postage on it and give yoU back whatever you requested (insurance form, delivery confirmation, etc). All you needed to do was enclosed funds estimated to cover it. If there is not a big difference, she even covers any shortage and leaves a note for her customer to pay the difference.

    CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE US REALLY TRYING THIS?????????

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Did yall know that you can mail a package directly from your mail box even if you don't know the rate? My sister told me that the "carrier" was obligated to take that package, weigh it for you and put postage on it and give yoU back whatever you requested (insurance form, delivery confirmation, etc). All you needed to do was enclosed funds estimated to cover it. If there is not a big difference, she even covers any shortage and leaves a note for her customer to pay the difference.

    CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE US REALLY TRYING THIS?????????
    NOT here....and if it weighs more than 11oz you can NOT put into the box, you have to have them either pick up or you have to bring it inside!

  22. #22
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    My mail carrier might really do that! She is great, although admittedly I live in a really small town and we tend to chat by the mailbox when I'm outside and see her coming. There are some real perks to small town life!

  23. #23
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    2
    I knew they wouldn't be nice forever. short time too.
    oh well, there are other postal delivery places. they should know not to run off customers.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I knew they wouldn't be nice forever. short time too.
    oh well, there are other postal delivery places. they should know not to run off customers.
    here is what happens if you try to ship a USPS flat rate item at UPS or the post box store..you pay $.40 min. for them to accept it!

  25. #25
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,981
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Did yall know that you can mail a package directly from your mail box even if you don't know the rate? My sister told me that the "carrier" was obligated to take that package, weigh it for you and put postage on it and give yoU back whatever you requested (insurance form, delivery confirmation, etc). All you needed to do was enclosed funds estimated to cover it. If there is not a big difference, she even covers any shortage and leaves a note for her customer to pay the difference.

    CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE US REALLY TRYING THIS?????????
    NOT here....and if it weighs more than 11oz you can NOT put into the box, you have to have them either pick up or you have to bring it inside!
    the cutoff is actually 13 ounces. And if you print postage online, you can leave anything in your outgoing mail box or drop it in the big blue box.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.