Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: fleas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammiepamie
    Chewie takes comfortis once a month. It is chewable and it starts immediately killing the fleas immediately. It is fantastic stuff. No fleas anywhere. Even on my other dog who doesn't take it.
    What is comfortis? I have three small dogs and the stuff you put on the back of their necks makes them sick for 3 or 4 days. My vet said it is poisoning them and not use it on a dog under 16 lbs. I am using flea collars and they are working. We don't have fleas, never have, but ticks are very bad this year.

Blog Entries
    We took out all the carpet because our dog brought fleas in the house and we could not get rid of them. They kept popping up every few weeks. The exterminator wanted to keep using the poison to kill them but I didn't want all that soaked in the carpet, cleaning wouldn't get it out. If we couldn't get rid of them in the carpet they would eventaully go into the walls. No carpet, the fleas disappeared. The dogs and cats now get a once a month pill to stop the flea cycle. The outside pets have no fleas on them at all since taking the pills. Expensive, you bet, but that's part of having animals in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    In a shallow dish fill it with water and one drop of dishwashing liquid. Place on floor put a lamp next to it and turn it on, turn out all other light. When you get up see if it has any fleas in it. They will come to the light and die in the water. It does work.
    I've seen this work before......fleas are a constant battle...

I use Frontline plus on my dogs. Even in FL where we had fleas year round in the sandy soils, didnt have a problem.
    Good luck, they are miserable, for sure. I found a very inexpensive source online for the Frontline. I buy a year supply at a time.

I used to buy something called Zodiac, don't know if they still sell it, supposed to interrupt the flea's life cycle.

I have also heard a black light works with the dish of water and dish soap.

I have never had a problem with Advantix treat once per month.

We had problems a few years back with frontline never worked at all and made our dog scratch constantly.

hope it gets better.

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to a product for Capstar. You put it on the animal. I've heard good things about this.

http://www.capstar.novartis.us/

Blog Entries
    Dawn Dish soap will kill fleas too - the original blue one. I gave my one cat baths in it as he was covered when I got him.
    He is flea free now.
    You can also bathe dogs in it - easier to rinse off after lathering up.

forget the sprays,bombs, vet bills, use a shallow dish, with some dish soap,make bubbles, set under a night light near the floor. Watch the fleas come, they can't bounce off a bubble, I was surprised the next morning how many dead fleas there were in the water. So much safer than chemicals in the house or on the pet, or children breathing the fumes.

We got them after moving into the new house. All the sand used in the yard prior to landscaping was loaded with fleas. We had yard and house treated every three weeks for 4 months. Haven't had the problem since. Makes me itch to think about it.

If U have pets use Advantage Flea Control!! It goes on the back of the neck where they can't reach. NO MORE FLEAS!!! It really, really works!! I have 6 cats & no problems....
    I get it on the internet in big doses where U use syringes. The little individual doses are expensive...

Good luck....

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Sprinkle a lot of heavy salt around - especially if you have access under the house as well.

Blog Entries
    We have 2 "in and out" cats that we treat 6 months of the year with Advantix. It's not cheap but it has worked for us for the past 15 years. Much cheaper than trying to get rid of fleas!
    Be careful with spray bombs. I got one at the vet's 30 years ago - followed instructions, kept cat out of house for 3 days - still poisoned him. I have never gotten over that.

Avon Skin so Soft.....

I have 3 indoor cats and still get flea infestations. It's ME bringing them in from outside! So I have to have Animal Reg come in and trap the racoons, possums and skunks that cruise through my yard every night, dropping their fleas as they come to fish in my pond!
    Any flea within 100 yards will beat feet to get to me!
    And vacuuming every day does help, but unfortunately I don't have time for that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    just when I think we have won the battle more show up. we have bombed the house twice sprayed everywhere vacuumed every day Anybody have any ideas to get rid of these things they are driving me nuts
    I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO SPRINKLE SALT ON FLOOR IT WILL DRY UP THE EGGS AND THEN VACUME,I HAVE NOT! TRIED THIS MY SELF.THE VET TOLD ME YOU HAVE TO BOMB OR FOG LIKE 3 TIMES IN A WEEK TO GET RID OF ALL EGGS AND FLEAS.WE HAVE TO USE COMFORTIS ON OUR LITTLE DOGS THEY ARE AMMUNED TO FRONT LINE PLUS WE HAVE USED IT SO MUCH.TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAT YOU HAVE USED

Seems like the heat this summer has made the flea problem worse. We use Frontline but our house backs on a woods and we have to watch our cat pretty diligently to be sure she doesn't bring fleas into the house.

Move to Wyoming. It gets so cold here that we don't have fleas.

Blog Entries
    just when I think we have won the battle more show up. we have bombed the house twice sprayed everywhere vacuumed every day Anybody have any ideas to get rid of these things they are driving me nuts
    Hosta, my daughter tried every thing (bombing, frontline and such, vacumning) all to no avail. Finally one of the girls in the vets office said, use the frontline on the dog and use RID lice spray on the house and be sure to trea the yard. Well she sprayed the house with the RID and then vacumned and then sprayed it again and she has not had fleas since. The lice spray also kills flies!!

Blog Entries
    We had them 2 times and use Frontline now. We sprayed the house every 3 weeks 3 times to get all the eggs. They pick out one person in the house to bit. Both times it was my husband. The vet said just another dog walking buy they will jump on your dog. Also said you could get them at the vet office from other dogs. Flea collars don't work. Have never had them since using Frontline.

So far, nothing has worked on my greyhound. Just gave her Comfortis a few days ago and she still has fleas. We've tried Pet Armor, Frontline, Advantage, washed with Dial liquid, bombed the house and still have a problem. Guess I'll try water and dish soap. I've never had this much problem with fleas until now and we used to live in FL.

Blog Entries
    We went thru that one year so I know how you feel. After bombing the house twice, we got some spray from the vet, which took care of the problem. Frontline seems to keep them at bay every year now.

Blog Entries
    We use Sentry pills for the outside dogs. They have to have heartworm protection and the flea meds are in the pill too. All the cats outside, all five of them (we have acres of lawn and yard) get Revolution once a month and a pill. We get a lot of stray cats here. I lure them with food and get them in the carrier and they go to the vets to get fixed and then released. If the cat runs loose around my property it's going to be fixed. The world does not need another litter of helpless kittens.

We had the same problem last year and finally had to get the prescription meds from our vet and they solved the problem in a very short time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast