Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip Flops - Is It Just Us?

Blog Entries
    A few weeks ago my husband and I were at Old Navy and they had a fabulous sale on flip flops. There was every color of the rainbow and also gold and silver. With the sale and additional discounts because he's a Marine, they came out to only $1.99 a pair, so we got a bunch of them.

He had a little trouble adjusting to having the bit between his toes, but the worst part was where the straps crossed back to attach to the sole. We both felt like were were walking on rocks. I stuck it out longer than he did, thinking I just had to get used to it ... until I realized that I had horrible gigantic calluses on the bottom of my feet!

Has anyone else had this experience?

I have a pair I got at another store and it seems to me the part where the strap goes into the sole is digging into my soul! I rarely wear them, and I hate to just get rid of them!

sorry don't wear them, but sure see lots of people who do.

I have never found them comfortable for any length of time, and soles are very thin so that you can feel every rock.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My daughter has AAA feet and loves them because they are so skinny. Most everyone else I know started complaining about Old Navy flip flops last year. That is when the sizing seemed to change.

I can't stand the thingy between my toes on any shoe. i have a couple DDs that live in them.

Blog Entries
    all shoes i've come across lately are not made the same as they used to be. probably. too wide, so i have to buy shorter or not at all.
    flip flops take some getting used to even when made correctly. besides, they used to be called thongs!!!

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of very expensive leather ones (found in a church yard sale) that I love. But because of a previously broken ankle I mostly wear sturdy lace up cowboy ropers, but the rare times I do go without them, I grab the leather flip-flops to wear around the house. They are made with wider tops and much nicer shaped toe separators, and have natural depressions in the soles. (Can't find any names on them) They are very comfortable for some hours inside.

I live in flip flops, only put shoes on when it is really cold. A lot depends on the brand. I have many that are very comfortable and one pair that hurt my foot on the sides where the straps attach to the sole.

I live in flip-flops!!

With Old Navy - I have to get 1 (ONE) pair at the beginning of the season and test them out -- it seems like every year something is majorly different.

This year - exactly what you said - the sides hurt bad. So I went shopping around and found some nike ones that I liked. Only got brown and black though!

If I find a pair that feels good, I'll buy in as many colors as I can find/need/afford.

I also try to purge every summer as well. I don't need 50 pairs of flip-flops.

=)

I think it depends on the kind. If they are the plastic/rubbery kind that are absolutely basic for flip flops; you can feel the connecting ends under the soles. You also feel every rock or pebble that you step on.

I don't usually buy those kinds because I have bad ankles anyways and shouldn't even wear flip flops, but I hate shoes in the summer. I usally buy the thicker soled, leather strap across the feet type. I also usually buy them in the mens section. I would rather pay a little extra for a pair that sole and straps will hold up a little longer than a pair that are not comfortable to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna
    He had a little trouble adjusting to having the bit between his toes, but the worst part was where the straps crossed back to attach to the sole. We both felt like were were walking on rocks. I stuck it out longer than he did, thinking I just had to get used to it ... until I realized that I had horrible gigantic calluses on the bottom of my feet!

Has anyone else had this experience?
    I HATE flip-flops for all the reasons you noted (I have a LOT of trouble adjusting to the bit between my toes!), plus the "thwacking" sound when I walk. It's irritating when I hear someone else walking in flip-flops (I honestly think it's rude to subject everyone to the sound of footwear thwacking against your foot). And it's impossible to walk fast in them (I walk fast with very long stride).

I have ONE pair that I use only for bathing dogs. I bathe them on a grooming table in the drive way and because I don't want to stand on pebbles I wear footwear, but I don't want my footwear filling up with water so flip-flops are perfect ... but I cuss at them every second I'm out there. I should look into getting a pair of crocks or something cause I HATE flip flops.

I can't stand any flip-flops. I can tolerate them long enough to use as shower shows when traveling and in public showers. That's about it though.

Do not wear flip flops. Cannot bear the bit that goes between your toes, they really irritate my skin

Blog Entries
    I started noticing it this year. I had stocked up a few years ago and just needed to do it again and it is very uncomfortable where the strap goes into the sole. I thought it was that my feet got fat until I saw your post so I guess it isn't just me.

I wear flip flops all the time, even in the winter around the house. You can not go by how cheap flip flops feel at all. I by mostly Reef brand, and let me tell you they are like walking on clouds. I get the kind with fabric straps and I don't even feel them. They do not make that flop sound either. They are expensive for flip flops, I think about 30 bucks unless they are on sale. But they last forever, even with daily wear. I only have to replace them about every two years.

All you flip flop naysayers, Go to Macy's or a good surfy type store and try on a pair. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. But do look for the plain ones with the fabric strap, they are the best IMHO. I am sure there are other brands out there that are just as good, but if they are less then 20 or 30 bucks they are not worth it. You get what you pay for in shoes, I think.

I wear them year round and they only hurt my feet when I walk for long distances. (no arch support). Love them! Boyfriend, however, cannot wear them at all for the very reasons you stated - the place on middle of the sole, where the straps are located, just kills him. Crazy thing about it is I have very wide feet and his are extremely narrow. You'd think I would be the one in pain.

LOL, I love this thread!!! Mostly everyone here lives in them all year long. But you're right, there are certain ones (or brands) that hurt the feet. I would imagine that it takes some getting used to but we grow up here learning to wear them from the toddler age. BTW, we locals don't call them "flip flops". We call them "slippers."

I don't like them either. The bit between the toes really rubs my feet raw.
    I wear crocs if I need to do something where I'll get wet. They aren't the most attractice shoes, but they are comfy and durable. Can't imagine they'll ever wear out.

Blog Entries
    I LIVE in flip flops and have every kind imaginable, I think. But there are differences in every brand or kind. If I get ones with a hard sole, I can't stand them. I keep the Dollar store flip flops (yep $1) for wearing in the house. I have 2 pair of Crocs which I wear outside. The best ones I think I have are Yellow Box. They are a little dressier. I have some by Clarks and Nike but I hate Birkenstocks...never can get them broken in.

I do hate the "flip flopping sound" when I'm walking on certain floors so I don't walk as hard and it lessens the sound.

I guess I'm just a Southern Girl at heart and flip flops are the next best thing to going barefoot!!

Blog Entries
    can't stand them anymore. unless they are the thick ones. but i have enough shoes without flip flops too. never thought i'd say that!

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to wear flip-flops but just couldn't make it work, so decided to try Dr. Scholls at walmart. they are fabric lined and cushy, and I haven't worn anything else since. I can't stand to have my toes encased. they were on sale for about 13 dollars and I got them..decided it was worth it to try. and I love them. I think the addidas and nike brand are good too. will have to check macys online. I am 66 and hope I never have to wear reg shoes again.....not very realastic...we do get blizzards.lol

Katia has very good advice!!! I cannot wear the cheap flip-flops for many of the reasons mentioned, however, I do have some aerosoles brand, some addidas, and some jelly type ones I bought at Coldwater Creek several years ago that I wear all the time!!!

I will also say that I only wear my flip-flops at home and when I go to the store, etc. I do not feel they are appropriate or professionally acceptable. For instance, I would not wear them to school (I teach K) except on specially designated days like...beach day or (yes) flip-flop day. I do wear sandals to school but never the flip-flop style.

Power Poster
    my flip flops are by reefs i love them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    all shoes i've come across lately are not made the same as they used to be. probably. too wide, so i have to buy shorter or not at all.
    flip flops take some getting used to even when made correctly. besides, they used to be called thongs!!!
    Yes they did, but thongs now are a different meaning...LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast