Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: floppy arm thingy

When I was a child I used to tease my Grandma about her upside down muscles- now I have them. Not as funny as when Grandma had them. I guess what goes around comes around.

i can find tops with sleeves but trying to find summer dresses with sleeves is really rare. they are either sleeveless or long sleeves. I like to wear dresses in the summer but finding them is something else.

I have never figured out why women get arms like this. Mine are getting floppier every year and I hate it. Where does all that extra skin come from? My arms were never that fat that they should have that much skin on them!

Try being 5'5 and 110lbs (I look thinner-no one believes I weigh over 100 lbs). I never wore tanks when I was younger because I was so thin. Now at 48 and 8 yrs into menopause, I've gain only a couple lbs and don't give a rip what other people think. I won't wear spahgetti straps because of the bony shoulders.

As far as the flapping, yeah, I've got that going. I was told that men have 3 muscles and we only have 2 and it's the bottom one we're missing. Would love to know a quick way to firm up-alot.

Blog Entries
    Lands End has shirts with elbow length sleeves. I have seen them other places, but have only bought one from Lands End. I love it. It's just the right length. Some places call them half sleeve. They are a little bit cooler than the 3/4 sleeve shirts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    I have my Grandmother's arms... I don't look good, but I have come to the conclusion that most of the others don't either.
    I will only wear shorts at home...but, I will wear a decent tank top....I'm not going to suffer in the heat because someone doesn't want to look at my wiggly arms.
    me too! when it gets hot and sticky I put on tank tops and above the knee shorts. Horrors!! But if the teenagers can go around showing their underwear then I can show my wiggly thighs and arms. :)

Blog Entries
    I call mine 'water wings'

Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba
    When I was a child I used to tease my Grandma about her upside down muscles- now I have them. Not as funny as when Grandma had them. I guess what goes around comes around.
    This is funny because my eldest told her grandmother one day she had down muscles. Cracked us all up for years. Mom told the story on herself because they were alone at the time. Now I have down muscles and also don't like them flopping around. I try to stay in short sleeves. I always hated wearing shorts after I had kids so mostly sweated all summer. A few years ago after surgery when I couldn't wear pants at all I "discovered" dresses. Nice and cool and I can make them any length I want ditto the sleeves.

I agree with the pelican analogy! I also have an ugly skin tag under my right flap that I keep hidden!

Even young girls have that flap going on, just watch the royalty in a parade waving! May not be as bad as some of ours, but it flaps......poor girls do not have any idea what their arms will look like in 20 years....I'm going to tell them.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Oh, I've reached that stage, too. I play in a handbell choir at church, and when we were discussing tops to wear for performances, someone made the comment that we need to wear 3/4 sleeves so we don't distract the congregation with the flapping! :lol: :lol: :lol: We always wear sleeves now.

My granddaughter calls them "wattles", like the fleshy growth hanging from the head or neck of chickens. They are the great equalizer. I get great comfort in knowing that all the snippy "in crowd" girls in high school that didn't have time to say hello to me have them also and are probably bothered by them more than I am.
    Ann in TN

Blog Entries
    LOL!! My angel wings can use a little longer sleeve also.

Blog Entries
    When I first noticed mine, I thought WOW! I'm turning into an angel! Must be because I'm getting wings! I don't care whether anyone else wants to see the flapping or not...if I go to the trouble to shave my pits....I'm going sleeveless!

I tell everyone that they are the buds for my angel wings.

Blog Entries
    You know,if they don't like my arms blowing in the wind they don't have to look.I put on tank tops all the time during the summer.Connie in CO

Blog Entries
    I never liked tank tops, even before I got water wings. I don't even like them on men.

i don't wear sleeveless, but that's because i'm a t-shirt kind of a gal.

we call 'em "bingo wings" or "granny wings".

back in the "pageant days" the wave was "elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist". now it is "elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, flap, flap". and i still think i'm having more fun that the ones who really worry about it. let it fly, ladies!

Blog Entries
    I am only following this link because it is so funny and I can relate to it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cizzors
    Try being 5'5 and 110lbs (I look thinner-no one believes I weigh over 100 lbs). I never wore tanks when I was younger because I was so thin. Now at 48 and 8 yrs into menopause, I've gain only a couple lbs and don't give a rip what other people think. I won't wear spahgetti straps because of the bony shoulders.

As far as the flapping, yeah, I've got that going. I was told that men have 3 muscles and we only have 2 and it's the bottom one we're missing. Would love to know a quick way to firm up-alot.
    the best exercise I have seen is this - standing, bend over and rest one hand on a chair seat. With other arm, lift weight straight up parallel to your body. (not out to side.) The key is to work the back muscle in the arm, I forget what it is called. This is easy to do in the kitchen while you are waiting for your water to boil, grab a two pound can of something or a bag of rice.

I don't go sleeveless either, all that stuff almost smacks me in the face and I am a nail tech. so you have a idea what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Once I saw a woman (50-ish)who was wearing a tank top riding a motorcycle. The way she had to hold her arms out caused the skin under her arms to flap like nobody's business. It was so funny! It looked like bat wings.

I guess at my age I have to be philosophical about floppy body parts. But I do know this, us floppy folks gets overheated too. Soooo, I wear shorts and short sleeves, and if your find it offensive look the other way. I don't come into the WalMart type of photo though. I Hope!!!

I guess at my age I have to be philosophical about floppy body parts. But I do know this, us floppy folks gets overheated too. Soooo, I wear shorts and short sleeves, and if your find it offensive look the other way. I don't come into the WalMart type of photo though. I Hope!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast