Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Foundered Horse - need help >

Foundered Horse - need help

Foundered Horse - need help

Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 AM

My husband and I have had horses for at least 40 years and have never had one to founder. Last week we noticed that one gaited horse whom we purchased about 3 years ago was having trouble walking. Upon inspection and cleaning of her hoofs we noticed they looked "strange". The ferrier was on his way over to shoes all the horses and when he arrived we questioned him about this one horse. He immediately advised us that she was foundered. Do any of you know what we should do for her? I just feel so sorry for her as she looks like it is very painful to walk and even stand. Sure could use some advise on how to help her.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM

When I was I kid, we had a horse founder. You have to keeo her moving, even when she doesn't want to. Ours came ous of it and was a really good horse for my brother. Another thing, control her feed. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 AM

You need a vet to look at her and make sure it isn 't laminitis. If it is founder, he will probably tell you to take off the shoes and go with a natural trim till it clears up. If the. Hoof is peeling off in layers, you will need antibiotics to help clear it up. I usually keep a hose penned up while going thru this to keep the hooves dry.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

I have been doctoring a foundered horse for almost six months. She was brought over to me to keep my gelding company because of the death of my mare. I could actually see the bone on the bottom of her foot. I have babied her, she is in a sandy pasture and yes, be very careful how much you feed her. My farrier came out did his thing and told me he thought she was rideable. I took her out on Sat. and she did very well. I live in the country so we only have dirt roads. It was suggested at one time to the owner to put her down. The most important thing is not to feed them to much. You might want to ask your vet for a prescription to alleviate some of the pain. Good luck and I hope she/he recovers quickly.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Founder is Laminitis and though I never had one of my horses go through it, one of my best friend's horses did. I'm really hoping you called your vet for advice right away, but her mare was treated with anti-inflammatory meds and weeks of stall rest, then she was let out into the sandy pasture (easy on her feet). Unless the vet says to, I wouldn't force any of my horses to move around. It's very painful. Good luck and I hope she comes through it well.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Definitely call your vet right away as this can get very serious very quickly. If your horse is out to pasture, remove it from the pasture asap as the rich spring grass may well be the cause of the problem.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Just now had a chance to get back on board to read of the helpfull advice I received for our horse. The vet should be out shortly. We have put her in a stall and limiting her food to a small block of hay daily. Having never been through this, I didn't know where to turn to but to all the smart quilters here. Thank you each and every one!!!