That was fun - - - -

Old 06-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jarenie View Post
When I get a strange call I answer it with 'Hi! your on the air. What is your question?' They always hang up every time.

Great idea. I'll have to try it.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:00 AM

I asked one for his extension number to call back after I looked up the number for the well known business he was calling me from and he hung up.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I love the one where they want to help me with my federal student loan. Really? I'm 57. Yesterday, there was one where he wanted to offer me a job. I laughed and said no. Last week there was one where my cell phone was calling my cell phone. Interesting. If I had picked up would it have been busy? Our police department has actually said, if you don't recognize the number or if it doesn't come up in your contacts, don't answer. Also, to contact your carrier to ban out of country calls. If you don't make them. So many senior citizens are getting scammed.
I have caller ID that pops up on my TV screen and the phone is still in my husband's name even though he has been deceased for many years. One day I got a call with our ID popping up. It gave me pause for a second to see his name appear. Since then I have gotten several calls from my own number. It is creepy.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have stopped a lot of useless time wasting calls by lifting receiver for a second or two then hanging up. They never call back.
This is what I often do, as well.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM

I did answer a call, because the recording started with "Grandma...can you help...." So I answered and said "is this Zach?" A man came on to tell me Zach was in jail and needed bond money. I said "Good!! You keep him. I'm tired of all his mess-ups!" Then hung up. Zach and I had a good laugh because he was sitting right next to me the whole time!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-27-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Ha, ha, ha! You guys are a crack up!
“ Press one for English!” ������
“Hi! You’re on the air.” ��������.
I’m laughing till my stomach hurts!
You are all so clever and fun! ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 PM

We usually will not answer a number we do not recognize, but once in a while if I am waiting for a call back from a company they use cel phones that are not recognized so I will answer. Last week my phone rang and my DH asked me to answer so I did. It was a scammer, and it was the Soc. Security nonsense - so I said, "Yea I win!" The caller said what did you win? "My DH bet me $20.00 you wouldn't call back because I informed the guy last week that my DH works for the FBI and investigates scam calls you would never call me again, and hear you are and I have your number!" He hung up.
My mother and father used to say sometimes I could be a real smart alec - goes they were right.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:43 AM

Hubby and I sleep days, so we keep our phones on constant "Do Not Disturb" mode. If a caller isn't on our contacts list, they get sent straight to voice mail without our phones making a peep. Later, we Google the numbers that called us, and quite often discover that they're scammers or telemarketers. I've even had a bogus "collection agency" (actually scammers!) calling me multiple times a day. Scammers and telemarketers get put on our blacklist, which means that if they call again from the same number, they get a recording saying our phone has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Quite often they'll call again from a different number, but we just keep right on blacklisting the new numbers as the calls come in. It's not perfect, but it does eventually slow down the number of calls.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:45 AM

I used to have a magazine company call me constantly about buying subscriptions. Finally one day I told the girl yes, I'd love to. I ordered about 10 different ones and when it came time to pay I told her that was cool because I had just filed for bankruptcy and I'd be putting the bill under it. She started studdering and said what. I told her again, I had just filed and since it wasn't complete I could put their company under it. She said I guess and then hung up. I've never heard from them again. The things we have to do. I hate that we spend so much for cell phones but still have to deal with telemarketers. I get more on my cell than my house phone.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I used to have a magazine company call me constantly about buying subscriptions. Finally one day I told the girl yes, I'd love to. I ordered about 10 different ones and when it came time to pay I told her that was cool because I had just filed for bankruptcy and I'd be putting the bill under it. She started studdering and said what. I told her again, I had just filed and since it wasn't complete I could put their company under it. She said I guess and then hung up. I've never heard from them again. The things we have to do. I hate that we spend so much for cell phones but still have to deal with telemarketers. I get more on my cell than my house phone.
I love that approach, will have to remember that!