Fundraising for College?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM

I'm trying to think of ways, other than getting a job (which I am working on so don't bad mouth that please), to raise money for college. I'm trying to cut down on loan amounts. I DO plan on working this summer to help offset loan amounts too but a part time/full time job only pays so much and I have other things to get other than tuition room and board.

One idea I found was holding a Movie Night. If I did that I could hold it at my local library and have a charge at $2-$5 dollars a person and serve popcorn and drinks.

Also I could do a bingo night, but I'm not sure how to go about getting prizes donated.

So does anyone have any ideas of what else I could do?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM

be careful of licensing issues with showing a movie--public performance is against copyright unless you have permission from the rights holder. your library would be able to better explain it to you.

good luck, though. don't mean to discourage you, just don't want to see you get in trouble.

Rose
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM

I agree. Is very difficult to raise money for personal causes, unless they are health related.

I was almsot insulted by a woman because I was fundraising for my son and 3 other kids to go on a trip to Australia with People to People. A few months later the same lady was at the mall sellig girl scouts cookies. I approached her and asked her how this was different from my son going on a trip. She said the $ was for girl scouts programs. I reminded her that her daughter gets free nights at a summer camp depending on how many boxes she sells and that the field trips are free for the girls. I am on the board of directors, so I know who is played. She them apologized to me for her behavior.

Good luck. Unfortunately education is not affordable.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Wow, it's really enterprising of you to think of holding fundraisers for your college costs!

You could put up a website/blog telling about yourself, what you plan to study in college, etc. and asking for donations or sponsorships. You could sell something, like T shirts or quilted items to raise money.

You'd probably have an easier time of it if you started your own business than if you try fundraisers. The thing about most fundraisers is that they're usually for non-profit causes, and non-profit organizations can do things (like bingo nights) that laws don't allow you to do for profit. And while getting money for college is a very worthwhile cause, it's definitely profit for you.

You own business could be a part-time thing, where you sell online, at flea markets, through word of mouth, etc. You could make something or you could provide a service, like tutoring or babysitting (when you're not busy with your new niece).
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM

I was reading up on the whole movie thing and it suggested doing home movies or indie films... I'm not sure if I'm doing that yet or not.

I received my financial aid package and they are paying for a great deal of my tuition... I'm trying to raise money for room and board and what is left of tuition.

I'm just looking for easy options. I could sell candy to my moms work... there's a fund raising company that does that and our school has used them before.

My sister suggested a bake sale. I was thinking I could do that at our "Taste of Elmwood Park" in July. I'd just have to talk to the village on how to do that.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Wow, it's really enterprising of you to think of holding fundraisers for your college costs!

You could put up a website/blog telling about yourself, what you plan to study in college, etc. and asking for donations or sponsorships. You could sell something, like T shirts or quilted items to raise money.

You'd probably have an easier time of it if you started your own business than if you try fundraisers. The thing about most fundraisers is that they're usually for non-profit causes, and non-profit organizations can do things (like bingo nights) that laws don't allow you to do for profit. And while getting money for college is a very worthwhile cause, it's definitely profit for you.

You own business could be a part-time thing, where you sell online, at flea markets, through word of mouth, etc. You could make something or you could provide a service, like tutoring or babysitting (when you're not busy with your new niece).
I jsut read about a guy who did the whole donations thing and he recieved up to about 6000.

What could I sell on line though other than t shirts? What kind of quilted items actually sell?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM

have you applied for grants and scholorships? Also, don't discount having a part time job while attending school. I know I didn't when I first started but found I had TOO much free time on my hands. Are you living at school or at home? In the dorms or have an apartment?

Just remember that loans are an investment in your future. We take out loans for cars that last for a couple of years (or however long we have them) but a student loan (a completed degree) is an investment in the rest of your life!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM

My school is about 37,000 a year (tuition, room and board) I am receiving about 27,118.00 from the school and government... its that other 10,000 thats a bit hard to get. I need to come up with at least 2000 of that by august 15. then have to make payments each month till the end of the school year... I'm trying to get that lower! My mom is going to try for the Parent plus loan and if she doesn't get that I get 4000 in unsubsidized loans from the government. Then it's reduced 6000. I don't have a co signer for a student loan otherwise I'd be more apt to get one... and no one offers a student loan where you don't need a cosigner.

I also have to have a on campus job due to work study and I am looking for a job near the college or near where I am now so that I can transfer there after the summer.

And I am hoping to stay on campus.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Don't think I am being crass, but do you have long hair? I know a girl who shaved her almost hip length hair and auctioned it off to raise money for wildlife rehabilitation. She raised a couple thousand dollars...there are some nutty people out there that like hair apparently! (human hair wigs can be costly.)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
My school is about 37,000 a year (tuition, room and board) I am receiving about 27,118.00 from the school and government... its that other 10,000 thats a bit hard to get. I need to come up with at least 2000 of that by august 15. then have to make payments each month till the end of the school year... I'm trying to get that lower! My mom is going to try for the Parent plus loan and if she doesn't get that I get 4000 in unsubsidized loans from the government. Then it's reduced 6000. I don't have a co signer for a student loan otherwise I'd be more apt to get one... and no one offers a student loan where you don't need a cosigner.

I think you are very lucky you got so much from the school. Most people don't get that much. My daughter got nothing. If you fill the FAFSA you can get a subsidized loan and don't need a co-signer. If you go with a private lender you need one, but from a subsidized one your education is the colateral. Your parents can also borow, but is such a small amount (relatively) that is better if you take the loan. Your interest rate is a lot lower and the loan is payable after graduation. With the money you make working you can pay the interest so the amount you owe is not increased. I have to congratulate you for taking such a responsible approach, but remember there are many out there that have to borrow the whole tuition.

I also have to have a on campus job due to work study and I am looking for a job near the college or near where I am now so that I can transfer there after the summer.

And I am hoping to stay on campus.