Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help - fundraising/sponsors for an athlete >

Help - fundraising/sponsors for an athlete

Help - fundraising/sponsors for an athlete

Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this or can offer any suggestions. A friend of mine has a teenage daughter, a senior in high school who is very involved in gymnastics. We are in NJ. In June she is supposed to be competing in a national meet in California. This is her last year of gymnastics, she won't be continuing into college with it. My friend can't afford to send her to California for the meet. I hate to see this girl miss out on this since she has worked hard for this for so many years and it is her last hurrah, so to speak. If I had the money, I would send her, but my husband has been out of work for a year and a half do we are hardly in good shape either. Does anyone have any ideas how she can come up with the money to go via fundraising or sponsors? I really don't know anything about how to do this... but there must be a way. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Maybe she has some neighbors she can do odd jobs for to raise the money.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 PM

how about local businesses?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM

What I am about to suggest is only my "thoughts"...all of us ladies/gentlemen on this board have either sent a card at the cost of $2.00 + postage, or sent money, material to help out a soilder family, fire home victims and what that mention "why" can you not do a "Quilting Board Raffle" auction ( if not permitted then use another means of attraction). Some one make a quilt (maybe you) send out a picture we can all buy a "raffle ticket" for $2.00 + postage. Our name would go into the drawing! I hope that you get other comments....keep me posted I believe after looking into raffle "rules" when it is for a non-profit it should go
Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM

A few years ago when I lived in Tennessee, I donated a queen size quilt to be raffled off for 2 high school cheerleaders to raise money to go to the the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in New York... This happened in Lynchburg, Tennessee and I believe that they did indeed raise enough money to pay for their expenses.

It was a wonderful experience for me and it brought the whole town together. It was really quite amazing...
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 AM

Love the quilt raffle idea, but I'm not sure if I could put together one good enough(or quick enough!) for her to raffle off myself. I surely will keep that in my mind though. I'm not sure about local businesses at this point because the economy is so bad, but will continue to ask around to see if anyone I know has had any experience with that. I'm just not sure how it works.
Still open to suggestions if anyone has any more. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Has anyone ever done an "online raffle"? Does anyone else have any suggestions for fundraising? Thanks!