Furious At My Sister

Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
The thing that people don't realize is that these tangible items, these heirlooms, don't belong to one person. One person has control of them, but grandma's sewing machine belongs to the family, NOT to the person that has possesion of it. Before I "got rid" of anything that had belonged to my mother, grandmother, etc., I'd ask EVERYONE in the family that I could connect with first...and I'd make sure that they would in turn pass it down...

But then, I'm a genealogists that would KILL to have some of the heirlooms...I have a few...and I'm not even sure that my sons will get them...they may go to nieces or nephews that I think will care more for them...for the sentimental value.

I'm sorry that you ladies have lost those important links to your pasts... I've lost a few of those myself...
I guess that's what bothered me the most she asked no one before she got rid of it. I asked my Uncle. The last of that whole original family. He never heard anything about it. It saddens me. She may have gotten tired of it, but one of us would have taken it I'm sure
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM

I'm so sorry about what your sis did! Some people just don't think!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amma
I am so sorry Bev!!! Family can hurt us the quickest and the most...even if it is totally unintentional!!!
Keep that place in your LR open...you never know when you will find a treadle that has just been sitting somewhere waiting to be placed there and I bet Grama will be looking down and smiling with joy watching you sewing on it :wink: :D :D

I have asked my family for the things that have meaning for me...and I am making a list of my mom's belongings and who has asked for what...
I have also made out a list of my belongings and who I would like to get what... Even though we both plan on being around for a while yet :wink: 8) we want to leave this wonderful place knowing that our treasures will be going to those who will love, appreciate and value them!

My ex mil has tags on a lot of what she owns and a list to go with them, bless her swet, dear, heart!! She wanted to make sure that what few things she still has goes to those who asked for them... she is starting to suffer from dementia and knowing her belongings have "homes" is very important to her.
What a super neat idea about writing down NOW what I want of my stuff to go to whoever. I never thought of that and I guess Hubby wouldn't know. In his mind he'd pack it all up to Goodwill. :( Ok the list starts now. Thanks dearheart :D
Old 10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I'm so sorry about what your sis did! Some people just don't think!
MANY MANY times I've teased her in the past like, " I could steal this treadle and hopefully you wouldn't notice" OR This SURE would look good in my living room.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:46 PM

Bev,
I found my treadle at Goodwill for $30.00.
I had been saving my loose change and paid for it with rolled quarters.
As my Dad used to say, where there's a will there's a way.

Sandi

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Originally Posted by Deara
Bev,
I too know how you feel.
I learned how to sew on a treadle.
Not my Grandma's but one my Mom had.
Mom gave the treadle to my sister-inlaw who didn't sew.
She no longer has it either.
I too bought one to replace it and use it like the one I learned to sew on.
Our precious memories can't be taken from us.

Sandi
The thing is. Theres no way I can buy one. I simply can't afford one, but that's ok to. Memories are free and no one can get rid of them :wink:
Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
So, what is PDA? What does it matter that it is on here? I don't understand.
pda is personal diary area. not sure what the problem is. must be boredom?
Bev, I think you are striking out at Moonpi when you are really angry with your sister. Moonpi has a point about this discussion (whether this should be PDA, I don't know), this thread is about memories, feelings, anger, betrayal, and loss, and maybe even estate planning, but this discussion is not really about a threadle.

However, I am sorry for you loss, and this is a loss to you. A new treadle, even if it was the exact same model, may be nice, but it wouldn't be the same. You are right, you have your memories. So enjoy them.

JMHO, Maribeth
Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

Bev,
I found my treadle at Goodwill for $30.00.
I had been saving my loose change and paid for it with rolled quarters.
As my Dad used to say, where there's a will there's a way.

Sandi

Bev,
I too know how you feel.
I learned how to sew on a treadle.
Not my Grandma's but one my Mom had.
Mom gave the treadle to my sister-inlaw who didn't sew.
She no longer has it either.
I too bought one to replace it and use it like the one I learned to sew on.
Our precious memories can't be taken from us.

Sandi
The thing is. Theres no way I can buy one. I simply can't afford one, but that's ok to. Memories are free and no one can get rid of them :wink:
Way cool. I have yet to see one there YET! So its a good time to start saving. I also put an ad in Freecycle for my area
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

this is a topic best vented in your PDA.