Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FYI about sitting with your foot tucked under you....

Blog Entries
    Don't! lol!!!
    My lower back/hip had been aching like crazy, and finally went to the chiropractor (sp?) yesterday. (we just got health insurance again! Yay!! :) )
    He did 3 or 4 adjustments, as he said my pelvic was out a bit. ~ From always sitting with my right foot tucked under me! Apparently it messes with your pelvic/hip socket? I go back again Thursday morning.
    He suggested I use a small box, etc as like a footstool, when on the computer or sewing. It is very hard for me to just sit flat on my butt!! And not tucking one's foot is a very hard habit to break I'm discovering! lol!!!
    I posted on Facebook about this, and several said "I do that too!" So I thought I'd let you all know what I found out. :-)

I had always heard that posture was so important. I remember seeing older women sitting very straight with their backs not touching the chairback! One of our hand quilters died last year at age 98, and she still carried herself so tall and straight. She walked tall and did not use a cane or walker. She is an inspiration for me to sit straight, and don't slouch, as my mother used to tell me!

I keep a small chest under my computer desk to put my feet up on. But sitting on the couch, well my feet are always up or under me, lol Hard to break old habits!

Blog Entries
    I must sit on my foot! Two summers ago my knee and thigh were a bit sore--and when I tucked it under me at the computer something snapped. The doc said my tendon popped over my knee cap and to not tuck my feet under me any more. But, I still do. :roll:

I agree! I have a foot rest, but I sit with my leg crossed, one foot on the footrest. NOT good!

Also -- I was going thru physical therapy in 2001. My back was hurting and no meds were helping. DH (boyfriend at the time and hadn't been in my car much) and I drove to Reno and back. He said HIS back was hurting. We'd used my Caravan. I decided I'd trade it in and see what happens. NEVER had another lower back problem after I got rid of the Caravan!! Now, to really understand how something can botther your back, I was driving only 10 minutes to work and back every day and occasionally long distance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Now, to really understand how something can botther your back, I was driving only 10 minutes to work and back every day and occasionally long distance.
    I know, it's amazing isn't it? Little things you'd think wouldn't matter - apparently do! And as I pulled this up to read it, I realized I am sitting with foot tucked - again! :shock:
    :D

pal
    I used to read with my foot tucked under me. One day my foot fell
    asleep and I jumped up and heard a crunch. I broke my foot.
    That was the last time I ever sat with my legs tucked under me.

Blog Entries
    Oh Pal!!! How terrible for you!!! I think that would have cured me of doing it too!

I love to sit with one or both feet tucked under me. (In fact, I just realized I am sitting on my left foot right now!!) I take yoga classes several times a week to keep my body "balanced" and work out the kinks. It really helps---I have been going for about 8 months and I am in much better shape than when I started.

Banned
    I still sit that way on the couch but not sewing or at the computer anymore. I have alot of back pain as it is and that makes it worse. However for many many years I sit with my left foot under me and my mother used to tell me that it was going to injure my knee. Well guess what? Its my right knee I have alot of trouble with. :lol: I think sitting on my with my left knee bent for years kept it stretched and flexible and its fine. :wink:

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I know what you mean, my chiropracter told me the same thing. he adjusted my pelvic area and the soreness in my neck when I turn my head went away and it had been like that for years. Go figure??

It's funny how little things we do can cause such bad problems. Thanks for sharing with us.

I've had bad varicose veins in the past- this is a huge no-no- don't sit on your feet or cross your legs. I never do it- just because I don't want any more gross highways crossing my legs.

Plus, get up and stretch when you're doing your marathon sewing sessions- get the blood flowing again. (I'm checking in here now, doing just that)

Take a few moments to care for yourself!

Blog Entries
    I always have my legs crossed, a foot (feet) tucked under me... I think it is because most chairs are too tall for me to sit on comfortably... I will be rethinking this now, though!!!

Blog Entries
    It is so hard to quit, tucking your foot!!! :(

well due to a pedestrian accident I don't cross my ankles now, and due to fibromyalgia, can't stand to have any body part compressed.
    So, I'm replying to tell you something a chiropracter told my hubby, years ago.
    Do not sit on your butt...like on the floor, with legs spread...like we all used to do, to play ball with our babies? remember that?????
    well, do not sit this way with legs open and lean forward at the waist and/or hips. Your lower back can go out easily.
    oh, and cracking your neck is not good for it, either, so...stop that!
    I'm not sure if it's really harmful to crack your knuckles, but can't stand to hear anyone gnawing their nails down to the quick! ewwwww!
    chill bumps all up and down my arms, thinking about it :shock:

Blog Entries
    Having had back surgery, I can say that even old dogs can learn new tricks - such as not tucking legs under. ....or rather I should say that when we DO tuck under, the punishment is fast and furious.

I always do that! Or I put both my feet under me! This is good to know. Thanks for letting us know! :)

Blog Entries
    I went back to my chiropractor for my 2nd, and should be final, adjustment this morning. :D He also gave me an exercise to loosen up a muscle, which apparently has tightened from sitting this way for so long.

It is so nice to move, and walk, and not feel decrepid anymore! I am a Spring Chick once again!! lol!!!!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by MollieSue
    I went back to my chiropractor for my 2nd, and should be final, adjustment this morning. :D He also gave me an exercise to loosen up a muscle, which apparently has tightened from sitting this way for so long.

It is so nice to move, and walk, and not feel decrepid anymore! I am a Spring Chick once again!! lol!!!!! :D
    My daughters 'tuck', can you describe the exercise, MollieSue? Almost called you d...old habits, lol :wink:

Blog Entries
    That's ok, Quiltncrazy, I'm still me. lol!!!! :wink:

I am wishing I would have done the exercise there in his office, instead of just watching him. The exercise is for some muscle that the sciatic nerve goes through... I think the muscle is kind of a c shape? Apparently how I'd been sitting had tightened up this muscle, putting pressure on the nerve, which causes pain in my right hip.
    He stood in front of a chair, put his right foot on it, with the foot turned kind of inwards, and kind of on it's side........ then slightly bent over it. He said you can't overdo this exercise.
    I wonder if there's any physical therapists/doctors on here, who can explain it all better?
    And yes, I am one of those who really should be recording what all is said in the doctor's office! :roll: lol!!!!!
    But if they're already aching, maybe they need to have an adjustment? Maybe they could call a chiropractor, and ask them about all of this?

Blog Entries
    That's why when I'm on the sofa I go straight for the reclining position. :D

Quote Originally Posted by MollieSue
    That's ok, Quiltncrazy, I'm still me. lol!!!! :wink:

I am wishing I would have done the exercise there in his office, instead of just watching him. The exercise is for some muscle that the sciatic nerve goes through... I think the muscle is kind of a c shape? Apparently how I'd been sitting had tightened up this muscle, putting pressure on the nerve, which causes pain in my right hip.
    He stood in front of a chair, put his right foot on it, with the foot turned kind of inwards, and kind of on it's side........ then slightly bent over it. He said you can't overdo this exercise.
    I wonder if there's any physical therapists/doctors on here, who can explain it all better?
    And yes, I am one of those who really should be recording what all is said in the doctor's office! :roll: lol!!!!!
    But if they're already aching, maybe they need to have an adjustment? Maybe they could call a chiropractor, and ask them about all of this?
    I think I get you! The idea is to stretch the gluteus maximus, (butt cheek for some)...to get the kinks out...limber up the muscles that have to work with the hip joint and thigh bone...bc the sciatic nerve starts back there and goes down the whole leg.
    You know where it is, but for those that don't? You don't want to find out. It will hurt from your spine, real bad in the hip, and all the way down to my big toe! um, your big toe, lol.
    I think you face chair, put foot in it, curve foot almost on it's out side...and then bend forward.
    You know, sometimes, I lay on my back and bring knees up to my chest, and it's to stretch back there. Think this will be easier on me. I have reflux.
    Now, just have to be careful and don't fall over. I have done that a lot lately!
    ppl, keep your eyes open, you can get dizzy :roll:

Blog Entries
    I can't believe anyone was able to follow my description, but you got it!
    lol!!!!!
    I'm not sure if it's the gluteus maximus or not, but the exericse is right! My ache is deep inside my hip, doesn't go down my leg, etc.
    Although in the past I've had it do that!
    I was waiting for him to fall over, when he was showing it to me. He has much better balance than I do! lol!!!!
    I hope it helps!

I haven't been able to sit like that for years, if I tried it now I'd break my knee LOL It's bad on osteo arthritic knees....sooooo STOP SITTING THAT WAY!! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast