Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garcinia Cambogia

Angry Garcinia Cambogia

I just read a post about essential oils and that brought to mind this diet miracle drug. I am very curious if anyone has tried this and to know if it worked at all for them.

I personally fell for Dr. Oz's recommendation and purchased the expensive pills and have seen NO change in my scale at all. Doesn't seem to work for me. I figured maybe I didn't have the right brand so purchased a different one that was supposed to be highly acclaimed but still didn't work. I'm wondering if it is because they just don't work or maybe I'm just too old to lose weight now (70 yrs.)

jetmaio

I have wondered about that also. I started to buy the Green Coffee Bean when I read on the label that if you ever had your blood pressure drop not to take it as it could cause this and make it drop to low. I talked to my Dr. and she said when on medications never take anything like that until talking to your Dr. so I have not tried it. On one of DR. Oz's shows when they were talking about that and a syrup that was supposed to do the same thing a weight Dr. said he had never found that they worked in his practice. I feel that if it was all that great it would be selling like hot cakes and we would be seeing a lot of people loosing a lot of weight. I am 75 and my Dr. said it is very hard to loose weight at my age.

I, too, are trying this supplement. I find that my appetite is suppressed quite a bit, however, no change on the scale. I think I'm just supposed to weigh what I weigh cause NOTHING works....not exercise, not diet, NOTHING. I'm about to give up & just be chubby.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

The recommendation to take Garcinia Cambogia started about 20 years ago. I tried it then with no results then and am pretty sure I tried more than 1 brand because I was pretty despirate at the time. I have since learned there's no easy pill or powder to loose weight with. If there was all the doctor's would recommend it to their overweight patients. I have been a nurse for a very long time and I tend to think Dr. Oz is full of fluff, but he is a charming man. My wish is not to offend anyone........it's just my humble opinion.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

I've never used that. With my health problems, I can't use supplements before checking with my nephrologist. And I don't care for Dr Oz pushing all these supplements (my opinion). It's as if he now works for the companies making them.

I always think about what Oprah said years ago. She said there are no supplements that help with losing weight. She said that she can afford to use or try anything, but nothing works like watching what you put in your mouth. So...I watch her to see if she's discovered something new. But so far, no, it doesn't appear that she has!

Once in a while I'll hear some people saying to drink lemon juice or apple cider vinegar with your meals and it will "eat" the fat. That's something people tried in the 70's and I guess it's back! Doesn't work!

I'm trying to accept being padded. Been this way for 30 years and yes, for me it's next to impossible to lose much weight as I'm older AND find it difficult to give up cookies, etc!
    Lori

Dr. Oz has repeatedly said on his show he does NOT endorse any product and if his name is associated with a product it is false advertising. He will give the facts about a product from what he sees from studies but does not endorse them. This info is what you need to know when buying: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...236555831.html
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I went to a nutricianalist, she gave me a menu,, I make homemade beef barley soup. that cubs your appetite a lot. very filling, 1 cup
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I know that the only thing that worked for me was the good old "watch what you eat" I lost weight by keeping track of every bite of food (even when I didn't want to) and moderate exercise (30-45 min) about 5 days a week. Having said that, my body does not give up weight easy - it took me 6 weeks to lose the first 2 lbs. I found that my body would only shed 5 lbs per month - It took 6 months to lose 30lbs. It definitely was a lifestyle change. I kept that off for 7 years - then had some back trouble and a surgery - and the old bad habits crept back in. The sad thing is I gained back twice as much weight - it is more difficult this time but I know that it will work - just getting myself into the frame of mind to make the correct healthy eating decisions. Its not easy so I understand the frustration.

Last Spring I lost 43 pounds on the Atkins diet. I did not exercise either. I am 65. Oh and I was never hungry. Love their shakes and snack bars!!

Have you seen the pictures on the internet of Oprah all skinny? They are clearly photoshopped! Her head is too big for the body and soo skinny! It's kind of funny.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

The southbeach diet works. The first two weeks will trst you. Hope u like v 8 juice.

"I tend to think Dr. Oz is full of fluff, but he is a charming man. My wish is not to offend anyone........it's just my humble opinion." I totally agreee with you, Annie Pearl. I'm 70, have been my weight for at least 25 years, on no meds, never have been. Yes, I would love to be 30 lb lighter. But I look like my mother, my grandmothers and my great grandmothers. All lived into their late 80's to late 90's. My mother is 91. At age 50 I decided, I'm a child of God and this is the way he wants me. My one aunt who died at age 89, was told by her doctor when she expressed her overweight. He said elders need extra weight because if they get really sick, they can drop enormous amouts of weight. Not long after she contracted severe bronchitis, fought it for months as she had severe antibiotic allergies. Six months later, she had lost 55 lbs. Had she been at 102 when she got sick, which she was when she was well, at 45 lbs, she would not have been with us.

Enjoy the fact you see each sunrise, and quit worrying about weight. Eating less is the only way, there are no magic pills. Smile and be thankful you are you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
    I, too, are trying this supplement. I find that my appetite is suppressed quite a bit, however, no change on the scale. I think I'm just supposed to weigh what I weigh cause NOTHING works....not exercise, not diet, NOTHING. I'm about to give up & just be chubby.
    I'm with you! The doc did "up" my thyroid med by one pill a week, but no difference in weight, but on the day I take two pills, instead of one, I have lots and lots of energy.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I read a Google on Garcinia Cambogia
    not sure which one

BUT

it stated that if CALCIUM was included in the
    ingredients on the label it NULLIFIED the product.

CALCIUM makes the product not work for weight loss.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-30-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

also purchased, did not work for me ... makes me wish he would give a brand name that works, there are so many that jump on the band wagon to strip us of money... I know he doesn't 'endorse' products but otherwise we are left to hang in the wind
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Blog Entries
    The truth is that none of these pills or diets work. If Dr. Oz doesn't recommend all these pills why does he have them on his show? How much of a kick back is he getting?

The only way to lose weight is the same way we put it on - SLOWLY. A balanced diet, portion control and exercise are the only things that work, IMHO. Think about how long it took to gain the weight then set realistic goals. Small goals to start with. Even a loss of 500 gr is a loss.
    I'm not a Skinny Minnie myself but I refuse to spend money on something that offers miracles. Spending it on fabric or notions brings much more happiness.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-30-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmaio View Post
    I just read a post about essential oils and that brought to mind this diet miracle drug. I am very curious if anyone has tried this and to know if it worked at all for them.

I personally fell for Dr. Oz's recommendation and purchased the expensive pills and have seen NO change in my scale at all. Doesn't seem to work for me. I figured maybe I didn't have the right brand so purchased a different one that was supposed to be highly acclaimed but still didn't work. I'm wondering if it is because they just don't work or maybe I'm just too old to lose weight now (70 yrs.)

jetmaio
    I also bought it, the expensive kind and took it as directed, didn't work so I returned it and got my money back. I am simular to you, I will be 69 this summer. I have gone on South Beach Diet since and have lost around 10 pounds in a month

A friend told me about the Dr OZ episode with CG. I reviewed it several times to make sure to purchase with his exact recommendations. Being very skeptical, I ordered via Amazon $28.00 for 90 pills. I took them 1 to 2 hrs before each meal. I did lose 22 lbs in 4 months OCT 7-Feb 7. Taking them reduced my appetite and allowed me to control what I ate. I also chose to eat less carbs and sugar. Alone they don't work a miracle, but helped me to get my sweet cravings and snacking under control. Hot white tea in the mornings would tide me over until lunch. My calorie in take was about 1100 per day. I did not exercise. I had NO SIDE EFFECTS as they had no caffeine or other items to cause side effects. I have taken a 6 week break and plan to start back taking them tomorrow. I would love to lose another 25 to 30 lbs.
    Sherry

I tried them, ordered them from Amazon and paid about $26.00. I took them for a week and my stomach was so bloated and hurt that I quit taking them. I have a very sensitive digestion system and things like this don't work well for me. My daughter tried them to and to my knowledge (I haven't seen her since December) she hasn't lost any weight.

I've tried every diet possible and nothing has worked. I have hypothyroidism and have had to take steroids for asthma. Between the two of them I have gained close to 50 lbs in the past 10 years. Nothing will get the weight off! I am a very healthy eater, walk at least 2 miles daily. It just doesn't come off!

I think Dr Oz is full of sh*t, nothing he swears by works!
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

The best way I found to lose weight and have lots of energy is take the wheat out of my diet, which means gluten free. I no longer take any kind of arthritis pills and have no pain whatsoever. If I eat gluten, I can tell the results in a few hours or the next day bi have pain. If you just can't stand to give up wheat, which is a lot easier than you think, buy organic. If you read about all these grains and their additives you'll see why there is no weight loss or energy gain. Btw, I've lost 40 lbs in app 6 months by doing this and my energy level is at an all time high. I also still take my thyroid pill, but that is the only drug I take.

Quote Originally Posted by slmeyer View Post
    A friend told me about the Dr OZ episode with CG. I reviewed it several times to make sure to purchase with his exact recommendations. Being very skeptical, I ordered via Amazon $28.00 for 90 pills. I took them 1 to 2 hrs before each meal. I did lose 22 lbs in 4 months OCT 7-Feb 7. Taking them reduced my appetite and allowed me to control what I ate. I also chose to eat less carbs and sugar. Alone they don't work a miracle, but helped me to get my sweet cravings and snacking under control. Hot white tea in the mornings would tide me over until lunch. My calorie in take was about 1100 per day. I did not exercise. I had NO SIDE EFFECTS as they had no caffeine or other items to cause side effects. I have taken a 6 week break and plan to start back taking them tomorrow. I would love to lose another 25 to 30 lbs.
    Sherry, would you have the exact brand name you purchased from Amazon? I'd like to give it a try and there are tons of brands out there.

Dr. Oz recommends so many things and the ones I've tried haven't worked. He also fails to mention that not everyone can take everything he recommends as we maybe taking other meds that aren't compatible. He has so many people recommending this and that it makes me get lost in all of the chatter. I guess it helps the sell the products at health food and other stores that carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    I think Dr Oz is full of sh*t, nothing he swears by works!
    HAHA--I don't know if he is full of sh*t but he needs to stick with his specialty--heart medicine. He certainly is working on a big fat retirement account. I'm afraid I would not be one of those on his show who act like he is the one to go to for an answer on every subject and who can't wait to touch him or give him a peck on the cheek. I have come across this diet and I can handle anything for 3 days--I will be 68 this year. Not sure if it is OK to post this link---http://blessedmommy.hubpages.com/hub/Lose-Up-To-10-Pounds-In-3-Days-On-The-3-Day-Diet

Blog Entries
    I have lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks not even trying very hard I even told my cardologist what I was doing and she said it was ok.I also have been able to cut down on the amount of Insulin I take and my blood pressure is doing good. I drink one or two cups of coffee along with toast or a bagel. mid morning I will snack on raw vegetables or sometimes if blood sugar is getting low I will have fruit sometimes I have a bowl of soup for lunch or just more fruit and vegetables mid afternoon I eat more raw vegetables and sometimes add a little cheese. My dil always brings me dinner I usually eat about half of what she brings and let my fur baby what is left at bedtime if my bloodsugar is where it should be i may eat celery if it is low I eat celery with peanut butter or crackers and peanut butter I also eat a lot of ice because I am limited to 32 oz of liquid perdaythe only drawback is I have become addicted to celery and ice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast