Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

I have mostly mixed beds which contain evergreen shrubs, flowering shrubs and perennials. I have one long bed that is perennials only for color across the front yard. I do not plant annuals, seems a waste of time and $$ to plant every year.
    And I do not plant containers, they are too time consuming for me. I plant very few veggies, tomatoes and onions.
    For your rocky yard you can plant a rock garden.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain-moma
    Oh Lovingmama,so were would i find the plant Jumping Johnny's at? I would love to put some of those out Thanks in advance(:)
    Johnny Jump Ups are just tiny violas...they are perennial and edible!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    here a links to the two topics I had going on this subject!
    HERBS---http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-109886-1.htm
    VEGGIES---http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-109873-1.htm

Love gardening. Have finally got everything in except field peas and some melons. I can 600 to 700 jars each summer. This is the first year since Hubby died that I've been excited about the garden - not sure I'll do as much canning this year. No fun or need for just one person.

Although weather is still dicey here in the PNW, we had a lovely, sunny, warm afternoon yesterday, and I transplanted the 10 tomato plants and some dill that I bought last Sat. at the Seattle Tilth plant sale. I have two 3x6 foot raised beds and four 3x3 raised beds. I also bought one of those topsy-turvy "tomato trees" last year at the end of the season (for 50% off) and put that together yesterday. It's supposed to hold up to 3 tomato plants, but I put in only 2. I also planted two kinds of garlic last fall, and they are coming up well. Some mixed colorful lettuce and radishes sprouting, plus the potatoes (Red Norland and German Butterball) are coming up. I'll put green beans in one of the 3x3 beds and two yellow crookneck squash in the other two. My little fig tree (on its 3rd year) is budding out, and I have mini cantaloupes and more lettuce sprouting inside.
    We just realized this week that one of this year's litter of bunnies has taken up residence in our backyard, which is driving our lab mix nuts and making me nervous for my veggies. Bad choice bunny! I scold him while he hides inside the woodpile. He has an escape hole under the back fence, and we're hoping to block him from coming back in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain-moma
    Oh Lovingmama,so were would i find the plant Jumping Johnny's at? I would love to put some of those out Thanks in advance(:)
    Johnny Jump Ups are just tiny violas...they are perennial and edible!
    Think you can get seeds for these cute flowers at grocery store. I love them too.

Quote Originally Posted by libbiebean
    Love gardening. Have finally got everything in except field peas and some melons. I can 600 to 700 jars each summer. This is the first year since Hubby died that I've been excited about the garden - not sure I'll do as much canning this year. No fun or need for just one person.
    No garden yet. Understand about not much fun or need. My DH will be gone 10 years this year. Maybe next year I will plant and can, as I will be living near my son and his family in NM. Hope all does well for you. Enjoy the garden.

Perennials my fave

I got several flower plants from my DD for Mother's Day, as well as a hydrangea from DH. I sorted the flowers by light need and set them outside. I think the weather is supposed to be sunnier tomorrow and Friday, so am planning to get everything into the ground. I wnt to get more flowers, though. Gotta have my pansies and petunias, as well as more geraniums. I used to do marigolds, but the slugs get those so badly I quit planting them.

I also will get plants for the vegetable garden, such as tomatoes, peas, beans, carrots, onions, lettuce, peppers, and brussel sprouts. I'm trying to stick to plants that will either peak early or will winter over because I think it might be another cool summer.
    We have two apple trees and two cherry trees, also. I have some chives and a couple of herbs in with the veggies.

I love to garden and am planning to do more canning this year, partly because of the economy and also because I'm reetired now and have more time. However, I still want to do a lot of quilting so will need to budget my time. Love to do a lot of patio sitting with DH, too. It's a good thing the days are longer!
    Happy gardening everyone.

Have blackberries, blueberries, service berries, aronia berries, green beans, pickling cucumber, butternut squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, yellow zucchini, swiss chard, two varieties tomato, red potato, sweet potato, corn, onions, garlic, and rhubarb. Oh, and peppers.
    We have created new flower beds around the house by digging out a 4 ft by 50 ft area of the sod, adding composted manure, and rototilling. I am in the process of planting stargazer lilies, mock orange, hydrangea, honeysuckle, anemones, gladiolas, and if I can find it a couple of Frost Proof gardenia. Later this summer we will put in three Centennial Crepe Myrtle along the street side of the house.
    I love color and wonderful scents in the garden and try to plant for the butterflies and birds in addition to my own enjoyment. Ann in Eastern TN

Im about to start one. have lots of weeds to clear. im not sure where to start. i have 3 small beds. im renting and have a super tight budget. i do know i want hostas, and other perennials no veggies though, there are bunnies everywhere.

If you want to keep bunnies away from your garden, plant a line of Marigolds around it. Rabbits avoid them.
    Or sprinkle shredded strong smelling soap around your plants.

I planted 3 tomato plants so far waiting for that last frost which may be tonite. While on gardening does anyone know of pepper that looks long & slender but is not hot it is a sweet pepper. I saw it on a cooking show the other day but don't remember which one. I also planted several new perenials and 5 roses. Seems I always find room

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmagnet
    I planted 3 tomato plants so far waiting for that last frost which may be tonite. While on gardening does anyone know of pepper that looks long & slender but is not hot it is a sweet pepper. I saw it on a cooking show the other day but don't remember which one. I also planted several new perenials and 5 roses. Seems I always find room

My husband and I really enjoy gardening.He does the building and moving and spraying fruit trees,ect.Around our area several people dig starts and pot them and sell them for $1.00@. I have lots of perennials from starts and now my grandkids sell my extras,Emily made $100.00 so far this spring!I highly recommend raised beds,even one or two can grow lots of food.I LOVE hostas and collect them one at a time,they are expensive.We live in a wooded area and impatiens come back every year,so that saves me lots of money.I spend too much money on container plants,but I can't say no when I get into a gorgeous greenhouse! Gardening is so fun and relaxing to me,yet I'm getting older and it's harder.Quilting is probably my favorite hobby.

Anaheim pepper is not hot and long. Google it and see what info you can find on it. Ann in Tn

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee75
    If you want to keep bunnies away from your garden, plant a line of Marigolds around it. Rabbits avoid them.
    the marigolds don't work here...but my daschund does! he snatched a baby one up the other day....poor thing never saw it coming....

Quote Originally Posted by deedee75
    We use red pepper flakes for a rabbit and squirrel deterrent. Have used it for several years and it works well. We buy red pepper flakes/seeds at Sam's Club or Costco so they aren't very expensive. A 1# container lasts us all summer. Just sprinkle them around your plants. I always have visions of the little critters licking their paws off after a forage through the garden.

We also mix them with sunflower seeds and add a couple of dashes of tabasco when filling the bird feeder so the squirrels won't get into the feeders. Birds love to eat them. My girlfriend keeps parrots and feeds them jalapeno's. She says they aren't effected by the heat.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    ... does anyone know of pepper that looks long & slender but is not hot it is a sweet pepper. I saw it on a cooking show the other day but don't remember which one.
    Also "Sweet Banana" peppers.

I've planted an heirloom tomato this year called "Arkansas Traveler." Anyone had any experience with it. The guy at the nursery told me it was good, long season, pretty acid.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grandjan
    I've planted an heirloom tomato this year called "Arkansas Traveler." Anyone had any experience with it. The guy at the nursery told me it was good, long season, pretty acid.
    one of favorite heirloom varieties!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    ... does anyone know of pepper that looks long & slender but is not hot it is a sweet pepper. I saw it on a cooking show the other day but don't remember which one.
    Also "Sweet Banana" peppers.
    was it red, green, or yellow?
    you can see some varieties here
    http://www.reimerseeds.com/peppers-sweet_761.aspx

We have potatoes, carrots, radishes, lettuce,zuchini. had lettuce thinnings for dinner tonight. Planted 5 tomato plants today, 4 big boys, 1 roma; basil, parsley. Have mint and chives from the past.
    Lots of flowers. Planted 50 glad bulbs last week,in a border with stocks, lilies, marigolds, phlox, alyssum. (Looong border that runs along a retaining wall.) Delphenians(sp??) My daffodils crocus and tulips are mostly a memory now, lilacs are starting to bloom, the snowball bush is budding out.

Hey Jacquie! Thanks for being a "gardening guru." Seriously, it's really sweet of you to answer all these questions.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    my favorite place to learn and share gardening info is at http://rareseeds.com their forum is an amazing place to learn from...here in OK they have bugs under every blade of grass...and use more chemicals than any other place I have lived....so I have many challenges in gardening "organic" here...that forum has helped me KEEP my garden sanity for sure!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast