Garment Making

Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint
I'm also +sized and found that "Fashion Patterns by Coni" are really proportioned to fit better than ones you can buy in the store. You can google to find them on-line. (I'm not affilliated, just a pleased customer.)
Thanks for info but couldn't find link. Could you give me some help finding them? Thanks
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM
cjr

Dress patterns like quilt patterns are some times tricky to read. Most are easier with more sketches. Definitely take a beginner sewing class somewhere, you can laern so much, little tricks not written on any pattern. if a class is impossible go to library get a beginning sewing book or 3, refer to that.
In dressmaking fitting the pattern is probably the hardest thing. The suggestion od used sheets is a good one. I was taught to use muslin, which is old traditional method od fitting an outfit. Used sheets are probably cheaper now then muslin.
Good Luck. Do not give up. Dressmaking is its own art, but a lot you know from quilting transfers to dressmaking.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM

Bobbie1, try this:

http://www.fashionpatterns.com/

I have not used the site, but this came up when I searched. For the person suggesting it - is this the site you meant?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Bobbie1, try this:

http://www.fashionpatterns.com/

I have not used the site, but this came up when I searched. For the person suggesting it - is this the site you meant?
Yes, that's it!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Garment making can be such fun or it can be a nightmare ... it all depends on knowledge and lots of it. If you have no one to actually show & tell & help, here's something you might be interested in:
1. Go to Nancy's Notions on-line catalog.
2. Click on Sewing With Nancy (top right)
3. Click on current T.V. episodes (far left)
4. Click on Pattern Fitting w/Confidence

She has a book & DVD combo for sale (on sale for $17.99, normally $27.98). That's a bit pricey (& I'm a cheapskate) plus there is no doubt shipping & handling to pay. But there is also an 8+ minute demo. video that you can look at. Nancy is nothing if not thorough; she explains everything, both on DVD and on paper, very clearly. From what I could see from the demo. the book has excellent illustrations.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
once you find a pattern and want to cut your pieces i suggest you cut first out of cheap muslin and pin or sew together and try on for fit. this will save your dress fabric from any alterations you must make. good luck.
I like to use ¼" gingham for a fitting muslin. I can make alterations and keep the grain straight.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bobbie1
Originally Posted by joyce blint
I'm also +sized and found that "Fashion Patterns by Coni" are really proportioned to fit better than ones you can buy in the store. You can google to find them on-line. (I'm not affilliated, just a pleased customer.)
Thanks for info but couldn't find link. Could you give me some help finding them? Thanks
Here it is: http://www.fashionpatterns.com/
Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks Quilt Mom.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM
dd

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by nativetexan
once you find a pattern and want to cut your pieces i suggest you cut first out of cheap muslin and pin or sew together and try on for fit. this will save your dress fabric from any alterations you must make. good luck.
I like to use ¼" gingham for a fitting muslin. I can make alterations and keep the grain straight.
1/4" gingham is good because you also have your measurements right there in front of you. You can just count the squares and see how much you need to add or subtract from the original pattern.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Afton
I want to make a skirt, or a simple dress. I'm plus sized and having a hard time finding a pattern I like. Plus I've never made a dress before so I need to learn some basic garment skills. Any suggestions?
I'm close to you (about 20 miles?). PM me and maybe I can help with patterns, tutorial, etc.