Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why >

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

Old 03-20-2018, 01:43 PM

None of my clothes have odors that come out of our gas dryer. Also, there are settings as well. Not stuck to using the highest heat. Even dry my quilts in it; Less Dry as opposed to More Dry. Plus, love the 15 minutes fluff only after the cool down which happens after the sensor turns the heat off. All on our GE Profile gas dryer bought in 2007.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

mac- your comment about the towels was hilarious! And so true lol
Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM

We had a gas Kenmore dryer that was very nice and more economical to run, and then we moved. It's extremely annoying that although we have a gas furnace and gas fireplace starter, we don't have a gas line to the kitchen or laundry room. We asked a plumber about adding it, but it would have been extremely expensive due to the location of the meter. I didn't notice any difference in the way clothes dry with gas vs. electric, but I'm much rather cook with gas. Gas dryers cost more, but it was supposed to make up for that quickly. That would vary with the price of utilities where you live.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:11 PM

I’ve only used electric, but I remember my MIL (who only used gas) saying that my clothes smelled fresher than hers and that her gas dryer turned her whites slightly yellow over time. My DH won’t have a gas dryer—says he spent too much time as a teen repairing or replacing parts on his mom's gas dryer. Our first electric dryer, an inexpensive Kenmore, lasted for the life of three washers, but I washed cloth diapers and often used the solar dryer (clothes lines).
Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

One Christmas my dryer quit- it was old. Well I was in a bind. All my kids were home for a few days so I quickly ran out and all they had were electric. I didn't want one but I was stuck. That's how I know I hate electric dryers. It used so much electricity and took too long to dry.
This past spring I just couldn't take it anymore so I got a gas dryer and sold the electric even though it wasn't old. I just hated that thing!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 AM

Thanks for all the input. I feel better about getting the gas dryer now. It is just difficult to think of something different than what I have used for over 40 years, hopefully I will love it. Gas is cheaper than electric in the area that we purchased the house.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM

How long will you live there? You can plug in a new dryer without calling a plumber. Those dollars can add up.

PSA for you all .(Public service announcement) The smell of natural gas is an additive. If a gas line breaks outside the house and gas seeps in through sand, the gas in the house then smells musty. 40 years later you can still find my scars from the explosion.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 AM

leonf, exactly why gas piped into a house scares me to pieces. Not in my home.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM

When I bought my house the gas Meter was in the basement. Who thought that was a good idea? But then again, it had a room for the icebox with a key to the iceman.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I have only had electric dryer. I don't know how much it costs to run and don't care. For years I hung clothes outside, that is dependent on the weather. Birds would fly over and dump on my clean clothes, never again.