Gas Prices!! OUCH!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 AM

$3.36 here in Louisville. The price of petroleum a barrel went up a couple of days ago SO, they raise the price of gas in the stations. Idon't understand how they can raise the price of gas they have already bought, but they do.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Can you believe the price of gas lately!! OH MY LORD!! It was bad enough fighting to stay between $2.89 - $2.98 for the longest. I get up this morning and on the way to the vet, I seen the sign $3.30!! WHAT GIVES!!?? It's getting scarey!!

What is the price in YOUR area?? :hunf:
$4.00
Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 AM

Gas was $3.24 yesterday...wondering if it will be even higher today. I think it might be a good idea to get my bike tuned up this spring and use it as much as I can instead of driving.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 AM

haven't been out in two weeks so I can't say!! Not going out for another week, what will it be then?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 AM

$3.00-$3.05 varies by gas station.

I've read where "they" are predicting by 2012 we'll be paying $5 a gallon.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
My understanding is that gasoline has been $5 to $7 a gallon in Europe for many years.
even higher I believe HOWEVER the majority of people in Europe (and Japan/Asia as well) do not have to rely on their own person vehicles. Their public transportation systems and train systems are AMAZING! I've been to Japan and Europe and didn't even have to rent a car, took the trains everywhere! It was wonderful and I wish we had that here. Not to mention how everything is in such close walking distance to most things needed.
IMO it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P
I I think it's all so political and artificial.
And, of course, it effects EVERYTHING :thumbdown: Now, not only is there a shortage of cotton (hence higher prices there), but tranpsporting it is more expensive so we pay for that,
too :-( Of course, this applies to everything we buy because it's all transported from somewhere. It's getting grim.
I agree - so political and artificial and we're the ones that pay for it.

I came across a verse this past week in my Bible time - Hebrews. We are to keep ourselves from the love of money and be content with what we have. I know it's hard with rising gas prices not to mention - food, fabric and everything else. But that really spoke to me that I need to start learning to be content with what I DO have and not worry about what's to come and what I might not have down the road.....

Kinda off the topic -sorry!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P
Originally Posted by cathyvv
My husband and friends thought I was nuts to buy a Honda Civic in 2005...now they think I was clairvoyant!

Do you think our government will ever get the message that this insane dependence on foreign oil is INSANE and must end?
It's truly ridiculous because I've heard we get only about 10% of our gas from overseas. I also heard it's going up because the powers that be are afraid that there will be a shortage from the Middle East and that China and other countries will demand so much that it will be hard to get. I think it's all so political and artificial.
And, of course, it effects EVERYTHING :thumbdown: Now, not only is there a shortage of cotton (hence higher prices there), but tranpsporting it is more expensive so we pay for that,
too :-( Of course, this applies to everything we buy because it's all transported from somewhere. It's getting grim.
Current gas prices are based on expected future costs per barrel.
Gas prices are never based off actual costs or supply and demand, like they try to tell you. NO, some big wig meeting say they believe the market is going to go up in the next year, and thus they raise gas prices now. however they are literally guessing what the market is going to do, which is why they are still having record profits.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM

WHAT?????????? We haven't gone out yet this morning, but yesterday it was 3.04 and we almost "blew a gasket" Being on a fixed income now, it hurts! And our friends who have to drive distances are effected negatively too. Is there anyone who is NOT affected?? Oh yeah - they probably get raises.....
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM

Around here it seems like it's higher the bigger the city is, doesn't make sense to me, you'd think the more people, the more gas sold, should be lower price right???