Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices!

[QUOTE=TanyaL;4999533]
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    And yet I STILL see people leaving their BIG trucks running while they go into the post office - just saw one the other day. Gas prices are not high enough yet for some people I guess.

If food prices go up we will cut back to just essentials (not Doritos). We have so much abundance in this country there is a lot that most people could cut from their budget. Cable TV, $100 a month cell phones, etc., shopping for new clothes when you have a closet full....

When the economy is affected so much that the fat cats who own the big companies see problems with their bottom line, THEN maybe something will be done.[/QUOTE

People will budget their money to meet their own needs. Maybe some will stop cable Tv but still go to a movie. Some will cut out going to movies. Some will keep cable or internet to stay on QB and stop eating anything but salads when eating out. It's hard to criticize when you don't know the particulars. Some may have full closets but perhaps have lost weight and nothing fits. Are you buying clothes, eating out or watching TV or just griping about those who are?
    TanyaL I may be misunderstanding but I think she was just giving an example. Yes there are many things than we can cut out including shopping for fabric, new machines, meals out, food, cable, Internet and extra cloths, not everyone has to give those things up but some may have to due to the cost of gas, If I get a minimum wage job. 7.35 per hour and have to drive 40 miles round trip or in most cases 100 miles how much will I actually have after gas and taxes?

I understand the cost of living. We live 25 miles one way from the nearest grocery. We live on a fixed income which isn't enough. We're in our 70's. however, no one should criticize someone else if you see them spending money. Perhaps they aren't having to cut expenses. The answer to the world's economic problems won't be made by everyone making their own budget bare bones. It is an international monetary problem. Resenting people driving new cars or buying new clothes does not help or change the situation.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-22-2012 at 07:44 PM.

I drive a Sivlerado Z21 to and from work everyday of the work week, 16 miles one way. My Husband rides with me, so we do carpool. We saved money and cut corners for 25 years while raising 3 kids. I refuse to do without anything I want. The high gas prices are to get people to vote for certain politicans, who will be promising everything will be roses. They also want everyone to buy the little death trap cars. I call that thinning the population. I will drive a 4 WD truck or SUV until the day I can not drive anymore. I have lots of fabrics that will out live me, so I can spend that money on gas for my truck.
    Being jealous of those that can afford to buy whatever they want and enjoy is not very god like.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Gasoline is still cheaper than bottled water...........
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Banned
    lucky you[know it's relative] we pay approx 5.72 a gallon, lots more, it is killing along with all else increasing in price even funerals!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I drive a Sivlerado Z21 to and from work everyday of the work week, 16 miles one way. My Husband rides with me, so we do carpool. We saved money and cut corners for 25 years while raising 3 kids. I refuse to do without anything I want. The high gas prices are to get people to vote for certain politicans, who will be promising everything will be roses. They also want everyone to buy the little death trap cars. I call that thinning the population. I will drive a 4 WD truck or SUV until the day I can not drive anymore. I have lots of fabrics that will out live me, so I can spend that money on gas for my truck.
    Being jealous of those that can afford to buy whatever they want and enjoy is not very god like.
    I am with you .I live in the country and drive my 4 wheel drive Avalanche everyday to work (28 miles one way). This truck has made it possible for me many times to get home when the weather gets bad, and nothing else was moving.
    As long as I don't ask anybody to make my truck payment and pay for the gas for my truck, it is my business.
    Christina

I thought the best example of the prices going up was on ABC tv's evening news last night. The reporter was standing in front of a gas station in California and in the 2 minutes she was giving her report, the price went up ten cents!

Blog Entries
    I'm 69 and thinking about a 3 wheel motorcycle to get to work. but, they are expensive to buy so not sure that would even out.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 stations within a block of my house at 10a.m/one was 319 the other was 329 3hrs later they both went up 40 cents I may be moving my departure date up. I reserved a moving trk for march 5th for my move from Ohio to Missouri

Blog Entries
    I think many of us are taken back everytime we get gas, Charlotte Nc $3.75 regular. now, it's scary. Food , my husband said we're eating less and the food bill is still going up. We've given up alot of things we enjoyed to eat ,like steak. I eat so much chicken I cluck now. Unfortunately we can complain, but nothings going to change. I have no idea what's going to happen down the road.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I eat so much chicken I cluck now.

LOL, there are just so many ways you can cook it too !!! I am tired of trying to make it taste different all the time.

Blog Entries
    My husband recently bought a motorcycle - but its still too cold for him to drive everyday. I have the next cheapest to run vehicle and I find myself doing the hauling to the dump/recycling center ( where I can pick up coupons) and the storage unit instead of using his truck. I worry that I will have to cut way down on my driving cause prices are ridiculous. AT least I have enough UFOs and a stash to hold me for a long time!

elm
    I'm trying to stay positive and think of increased prices as an insentive to eat healthier and eliminate high priced, fattening snacks.

Blog Entries

Northern Cal. prices

I live in Northern California, west of Sacramento. Yesterday morning on way to work the gas was $4.15 gal. On the way home from work it was $4.39! What the heck? No extra driving for me.

I hope everyone knows about this website

www.gasbuddy.com

put in your zip code and find the lowest price in your area. We were on a trip and found this ONE exit on the interstate where the prices were about 10-20% lower than other areas. And there were 4 stations there, all with the same low price.

gas here in Hattiesburg MS is $3.459 a gallon, groceries at wal mart are going up and up. I live 8 miles from work, and 3 days a week I stay at work during lunch to make the gas last. I don't know what poor people are going to do at least I have a decent paying job. Fabric is high to me. Our Walmart has it for $5.97 and some for $2.00 not anything I would want.

Power Poster
    It is so sad that this is happening. Wonder why it is? Work at a convenience store and people are not happy already and it's just starting.

Blog Entries
    I got gas a while ago today at $3.53 and when I went to get change the guy said it was going up - went up to $3.63. It will get crazy. I spoke with some relatives up in Northern Va and they said on the news it was mentioned $5 a gal by end of Spring. Yikes, that will shut down the country at some point. And they thought that unemployment was bad before, they are going to make it double etc.

Blog Entries
    $4.13 for regular today. Yikes! Time to cut out unnecessary trips and plan the necessary ones in a big loop.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    They need a good spanking, it's going to get crazy. They can learn to live on less without all that profit or bonus money. Many businesses will either find new places to do business or close down. The Joanns here, is thinking of moving out of the strip mall they are in due to the high rent for the space they have. Tuesday Morning already did as their rent was too high and the new place gives them lower rent for more space.

The price of gas is terrible!!! I drive 25 miles to work one way. My DH wants me to find a job here in town. Even if I worked only part time for minimum wage, I would make more than paying for the gas to work now. I love my job and will work as long as I can and drive but if the gas costs more than I make....what choice do I have?

I live ne of ft worth, bought gas on monday @3.41/gal. on tuesday it was up to 3.59. what a state this nation is in!!!
    yes there are way 2 many cars with only 1 person. the buses i see around here don't have anymore than 4 or 5. the city of arlington is probably the 2nd largest in tarrant co & they have no public transit. go figure!!

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Well, we're in Dallas and you can get out on the freeways and every car has only one person in it. Until people realize they could carpool they will still pay the price. They all drive up in new suv's and trucks. Our cars are 12 years old. Or more.
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties View Post
    They need a good spanking, it's going to get crazy. They can learn to live on less without all that profit or bonus money. Many businesses will either find new places to do business or close down. The Joanns here, is thinking of moving out of the strip mall they are in due to the high rent for the space they have. Tuesday Morning already did as their rent was too high and the new place gives them lower rent for more space.

WHO needs a good spanking?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    WHO needs a good spanking?
    Those who raise gas prices - oil companies! (and places that are threatening war etc shutting down straights)
    When gas is $3.60 plus in most places on the East Coast, it's 50 - 60 cents sometimes MORE on the West coast. With this being an election year, it will be interesting to see how the politicians play on this, what kind of promises they make to get elected.

I just put gas in my car $3.75 a gallon. This morning it was $3.65!!! Hubby and I car pool even though he works longer hours than me. I just bring a good book or hand sewing and wait for him. We do what we can and still try to have fun without compromising the fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast