Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band >

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Missy I am proud of you for taking this step. I know it was not easy and you still have hurdles to cross. But I really feel by reading your post, that you will in fact be a true success. If you ever need to talk or vent or a shoulder, PM me. I walked my DD, coworkers, and many patients & friends through GB surgery. You can do it. You are already on your way. In Oct. it will be 3 yrs since my DD had her surgery & she is still doing great! Man that woman has the energy!!! She could put the energizer bunny to shame. LOL It has really been something to see since she could barely move before surgery. She has not had 1 bit of trouble, but she sticks to what the Dr told her to a tee. I wish you the very very best & am here to cheer for you.

Hugs
Gram
Thank you so much! Your DD is one lucky daughter. It is that way with my mom. I love her so much. It is such a privalege to live with her. I am blessed indeed.

I posted on my blog just this morning that I was proud of my mom who is proud of me.

:)

Missy
Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Google Goddess

Good luck, I am thinking of you!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Well, you have heard from people who had friends and people themselves nad heard all the stories. It is true you need to really have your mindset to do this. It could be a very drastic lifestyle change. I had it done Aug/2005. Lost 185 lbs. In the first few months I lost 100/ 6 months. Needless to say boy was I sick. The small entrance to my puch closed and no one figured it out. So when I fell over and was in the hospital two weeks, lots of "banana" iv's, then they opened it like it should be and I slowed done on weight lose. I was so sick I could not smell food or anything. BUT....after that small problem I lost 185 lbs, Then gained 35 lbs back. Kept there for the last 3 years. I had to do it because of my bone disease, weak joints, etc. SO.,I was very happy in my fat body and lived for 50 years heavy. Today, I am active, walk, and no I never excercise, hate to. Luckily from all my Vaseline intensive care baths and skin so soft by avon LOL I have very little exces skin. Everyone is different. I have the apron and went to check, According to insurance it has to hang down past your pubic area to be covered. Darnit. I wear Kimora pants and it hides it just fine with my clothes. I went from a size 26 to a size 14. What was hard on me was looking in the mirror, it was not like me, Takes getting used to. Hence, the Psych evaluation before. My friend had lap band two years ago, lost a few lbs and failed. She figured out how to eat small amounts and milk shakes. With the Gastric bypass you can only eat so much or up it ocmes.LOL. I do cheat though, they explained an entire life change. True. But I keep the weight off, still eat small amounts but I eat cady, chips, can drink anything with sugar and keep it off. BUT!!! I do not want to gain my weight back so now I am behaving and drinking right.
Everyone has a different story, everyone is different. I had a problem, four friends breezed thru it.
Now I would do it again. Decide what is best for you. Oh and I have "angel wing" arms but my blouses hide them well. LOL. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Missy-Thank you for making a point people seem to be missing. Obesity compounds your health issues. This is life-saving surgery. The sagging skin issue is minor compared to saving your own life. How many morbidly obese 80 year olds do you see?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 AM

Missy, you are approaching this the right way. When I had gastric bypass my BMI was 45, but I had so many health issues I was just miserable. I wanted to save my life and see my son's babies grow up. I have no regretted having the surgery at all. There have been times when things I eat just don't sit right with me, but I have NEVER had the dumping thing at all -- just slight discomfort until the food works it way through. The other thing I did before having the surgery was pray -- pray for healing, for wisdom for the doctor, for wisdom for the anesthesiologist, and I prayed most of all that I would not desire food. All I can say is, watch out what you pray for! I could care less about eating at this point. I've lost 170 pounds and have my 2-year anniversary coming up on 7/23. Best wishes on your weight loss. Nancy
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by hdqltr
Missy, you are approaching this the right way. When I had gastric bypass my BMI was 45, but I had so many health issues I was just miserable. I wanted to save my life and see my son's babies grow up. I have no regretted having the surgery at all. There have been times when things I eat just don't sit right with me, but I have NEVER had the dumping thing at all -- just slight discomfort until the food works it way through. The other thing I did before having the surgery was pray -- pray for healing, for wisdom for the doctor, for wisdom for the anesthesiologist, and I prayed most of all that I would not desire food. All I can say is, watch out what you pray for! I could care less about eating at this point. I've lost 170 pounds and have my 2-year anniversary coming up on 7/23. Best wishes on your weight loss. Nancy
Nancy,

Thank you so much! I am so ready for some of these complications from the morbid obesity to go away. It is going to take some time but I am ready to do what I need to.

Oh btw I weighed in at the hospital yesterday and I have lost another 7 pounds. Woohoo!

Missy
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Missy i just saw this thread and have been wanting this myself. My dr. says I will never find a surgeon to do it because I have a history of blood clots. I have never been thin. All my best wishes for you. i am jealous but really happy for you too. As for the skin honey, I have the apron of skin anyway so how bad could it get.....At least you will be able to buy skinny foundation garments. :thumbup: Good luck!!!!Karen
Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by wichypoo
Missy i just saw this thread and have been wanting this myself. My dr. says I will never find a surgeon to do it because I have a history of blood clots. I have never been thin. All my best wishes for you. i am jealous but really happy for you too. As for the skin honey, I have the apron of skin anyway so how bad could it get.....At least you will be able to buy skinny foundation garments. :thumbup: Good luck!!!!Karen
Karen,

Thank you so much! I know that having the apron of skin is really not a huge deal once the weight is gone. My surgeon seems to think that I should qualify for plastic surgery because of the infections on the skin. We shall see about that.

I go today with my mom to have her lapband filled and I am really happy about that because he will be so excited to hear of my weight loss.

I am so happy to have the support of all the wonderful quilters on this board. You guys are the best!!

Missy
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerrie
I sent to see a Dr yesterday about one of these procedures I am thinking of having one done ( I know which one) but i want your feed back and if you had one done or know of anyone who had one done and how you/they are doing after.

So what you think let me know , Thank you
I just found this thread and was wondering how did it turn out for you? Did you have WLS and if so which one and if not why! You can PM if you like!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM

I will be having the lap band on March 31. I am really excited except for one thing. I have to lose another 30 pounds by the time surgery comes around. So, I am working my tail off (literally) trying to get the thirty pounds off.

Missy