General chat today!

Old 12-06-2021, 03:29 AM

On snow days I usually make a special lunch - pancakes or waffles. We haven't had a true snow day where we can't get out yet, but I'm sure they are coming after the holidays. I do like a day when I can devote it all to sewing, looking out the window from my machine, and being glad not to be driving in it anymore. I finish up UFOs and also tackle something that I haven't had time to concentrate on. Our guild usually has a challenge every year, and I usually get started on a snow day a/k/a/ sew day!
Old 12-06-2021, 04:25 AM

I will be thinking of you and others dealing with the snow and cold weather. Stay inside and stay warm.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:02 AM

today is a snow day! My snow plow man was here at 5 this morning and plowed the drive, shoveled the walks. And when I heard him leave, I went to the front window and part of my sidewalk was already drifting in. 30 mph Winds blowing the 6.5 inches snow horizontally across the front yard. Well the winner of the snow sweepstakes was a bit northwest of me. They got 15.5 inches of snow. Today really seems like a stay inside and stitch sort of a day. A few chores and then the machine gets fired up.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Most homes in my area have the whole house generators. Everyone on my street does so usually everything looks normal during a power outage. It runs on natural gas or propane if you don't have a gas line, is quiet and auto switches over when the electrical goes out.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

We don't get much snow here but when we do I love it. I love winter, unlike when I was younger. It's a quiet time and I can focus on inside things. I never thought I'd say that but I've changed! Some of the reason is I greatly dislike the heat. I couldn't live in a warm climate.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:53 AM

I do have a fireplace in the house. But I would have to bust up the furniture for the wood! I live in town so usually power comes in couple of hours. I have a natural gas heater so would just let the faucets trickle a bit if it is out for longer and cover up with quilts. We used to have a supply of wood as we actually had a wood/coal furnace but the blower was electric. I thought of getting a generator but as the utility companies are used to our cold snowy winters and are prepared to battle with the elements to get everything up and running again, I haven't done it. Most folks who live out of town either have the generators or maybe an outside wood furnace that they heat with.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:05 AM

We have the distinction of being on the "end of the power line" in our area. That means that every one else has to be restored before ours. We have a fireplace in the basement, and plenty of wood. More importantly though, we have a generator, and a supply of gas to keep it running. The longest we have been out of power was six days, following a massive ice/wind/snow storm. We were able to keep our freezer and fridge going, and supplement heat with running space heaters. Our gas stove could be lit with a match, so I could cook.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:57 AM

I got plowed and shoveled out and then just did a bit more shoveling to clear what had drifted back in and my brother came by (he lives out of town a ways) and hit my driveway again with his plow, so I am good until it snows again. Maybe on Thursday. Anyway, I got back to my sorting fabric task and found, gasp, not one, not two, but three unfinished Bonnie Hunter mysteries. One I think I gave up on as it was the first one I did Celtic Solistic and that one had some chevron blocks and triangle in a square and I just could not get the seams right. The other two I working on and it looks like most of the blocks are done but need some sashing and finishing up. I packed these away when I had rotator cuff surgery followed by a gallbladder removal, followed by my cancer diagnosis. Doing OK for now and did finish the last mystery last year. So, I have plenty to work on as long as the electricity stays on. Back to the sorting out of the fabric for a bit and then on to stitching.