General chat today!

Old 12-05-2021, 07:03 AM

Default General chat today!

Hi folks, Just wanted to say we are being hit with the first big snow storm of the year. Yep...up to 16 inches in some areas. Planning on just staying instead with the short snow shoveling trips outside for my short legged dog. There are times I think I should have gotten one with long legs. Umm...I was on the fence about doing the mysteries this year. But, with all the snow and not many to do any holiday baking for I am tempted to jump into those mysteries. What do you folks do on snow days? Have a good day.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:24 AM

I switch back and forth between sewing quilt tops which I may actually get one completely quilted. Or I switch my sewing to counted cross stitch, (think comfy chair, quilt on my lap, cat or dog as my helper, good mystery on the TV), or if I'm out of projects (what?) I'll get a book out and just read. I'm not a winter person at all and would prefer to spend this dreaded season somewhere warm and tropical, but if I have to stay inside I'll find something to do besides housework...LOL
Old 12-05-2021, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

It's going to be 70 degrees here today and rainy. We sometimes get snow and it does drop to freezing temps usually late Jan thru Feb. I do not like the cold so don't get out much when it's below freezing. I sew, bake, do puzzles, read, crochet, watch movies, and complain about the cold.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:05 AM

Where do you live? We had our first snow about 5" about 2 weeks ago. It is all melted now. I am never ready for snow. The snow (four letter word) that you are getting is enough for me to hibernate for 5 months until May when I am still not sure about snowfall. Good luck keeping a small spot clear for the little legs of you little one.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:11 AM

We rarely have snow. But we hurricane Ida in August and no power for 5 days, I did a lot of reading.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the reminders about getting out handwork to do. I do have some knitting and cross-stitch projects around here somewhere. Oh, no, I forgot about the power outages. Happens up here sometimes with the snow especially with the blizzards and also sometimes during the summer with the wind storms. I live in northern Minnesota and I amazed we are further north up here than parts of Canada! I do try in watch old movies like "South Pacific" during the coldest parts in January and Feb. Cover up with a couple of cuddle quilts and pretend I am on a hot beach somewhere. Oh, and in just about 3 weeks, the days will start getting longer up here. That is a good thing even if it stays cold as the sunlight gets shorter up here as we are closer to the Artic Circle. Nobody however loves spring as much as us northern folks. We happily go outside without our coats on when it warms up to 30 some or so!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:59 AM

I'm in Minnesota, and we've been getting snow off and on since last night. Today will be clean up day. Car and Pickup truck will get cleaned off, as will our 9+ car driveway. Back patio will need to be cleared off, and DH always makes a pathway to the shed, and around the side of the house to the birdfeeders, so he can keep them refilled year round. I can hear the plows out now, and hopefully most main-trunk roads will be cleared by later this afternoon. We have to pick our son up at the airport, which is about 30 miles from here, take him home, different direction, and then get ourselves home! Just one of the many things I love about living here!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:52 AM

I gave up the snow removal for the most part. My plow man will come probably sometime after the snow stops. I just have to shovel enough for the dog to get out. We have a "new" snow emergency plan up here as in the past few years, folks have not moved their vehicles so the streets can get plowed. Hopefully things will go smoother. I am lucky in that I live on one of the "snow emergency" routes so I get plowed early. The plows were by about 5 this morning. but, it has been snowing since and no more plows. Hopefully they will show up again soon. The constant snow shoveling does cut into quilting time! But, also provides a great incentive to get those quilts done. My driveway sounds about the size of yours, thankfully, I have a clear spot beyond the driveway where the plow can put the snow. If that gets too high, he comes with his front end loader and moves the pile back a bit. Don't think the snow will stop until sometime early Monday morning. Folks up near the Canadian border have a blizzard warning going on.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

No snow here yet. Some years we don't get much. In years past we did. We sold our 4 wheel drive truck as I bought a small car. My Granddaughter has one like it and says it does very well in the snow. With us being retired I can time my trips out when the roads are clear.

I do love winter and colder weather. I hate power outages like most. I will sew, maybe put a jig saw puzzle together. Not much company.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:51 PM

yes...it is quiet around here in the winter. During the summer there is a lot of chatting going on in the neighborhood yards and lots of walkers and their dogs on the street. It is easier being retired and I don't like to schedule any appts till 10 anyway to get the morning rush done with and give the road crews and the sun if we have any time to work. I have 5 new jigsaw puzzles sitting here, if you lived closer, we could trade.