Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Genetics ... who do you favor? >

Genetics ... who do you favor?

Genetics ... who do you favor?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 AM

The women in my family tend to be tall, willowy, flat chested, small feet.... but not me...no no no....my mom says I am the peasant throw-back....LOL....sturdy, low center of gravity, definitely not flat chested...thank goodness I am cute as a button....
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This is the strangest topic I've ever read here! Hilarious!
I've spent my life defending that I look like, think like, act like, and am myself. In my divorce 12 years ago I even renamed myself because I didn't intend, at age 54, to return to my 'maiden' name. I made the mistake, though, of choosing one name from my motyher's side and one from my father's side of the family and phenating them together. No one outside of Texas, where I lived at the time, seems to undeerstand that a hyphenated name is still one whole name, a complete last name. Oh, the weird names I've been called, LOL! I rue the day I thought this up!

Jan in VA
Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM

I definitely have my dad's hands, thick, stubby fingers and square nails. My dad had super curly hair but mine is poker straight. My son's hair is super curly so it skipped a generation.

I look more and more like my mom as I age and I have my mom's laugh.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM

I have my Dad's hands and teeth which are not the best,but still my own. I am short, heavy and big girls I do carry and that all come from my mother. I also have my mothers family health problems.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
QM
Power Poster

Like most people, I am a parental mix. I look like my mom. I have her facility with words, but Dad's facility with numbers and ability to visualize designs, etc. Mom could sing, Dad couldn't. I can. I got Mom's slow metabolism, and drug sensitivity, but Dad's problem ankle and wrist joints. My colon has his problems. Taking it all together, I think I came out pretty lucky. My older son looks dead on like his father, except that he has kinky hair (where'd that come from?). My younger boy (adopted) looks dead on like my Mom's family. My previous dentist commented that the younger boy has the same rare gum anomilly like Dad and me. When I explained the kid was adopted, his response was that "obviously God meant him to be your child". Later we found that the birth mother was a distant relative.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I don't have much to add to this except I think it is a HOOT how OP's grandmother got out of kneading bread all those years!! Way to go!!
Yes, mine used to have the phrase,"Why don't you do such and such, you are so much better at it than I".(Twenty three chromosomes of craftiness inherited from her father and 23 chromosomes of cunning from her mother, would be my guess).
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 AM

Oh I really have to laugh at this. Just Saturday my son and his family came up to pick up a sectional couch. We went to our local restaurant to eat, and the hostess came walking up to our table from behind my sons back. She thought it was my husband picking on our little grandson..so she smacked him on his shoulder. The look on her face when my husband started laughing and she looked up..realized she just hit our son. Oh was her face red..and all my son did.. was laugh.. my daughter-in-law had to laugh real hard. She came up behind my hubby and reached her arms around him and gave him a hug..from the back.. my hubby noticed it was not me.. and said..omg my daughter-in-law has the hots for me..talk about a red face.. ha ha ha To this day we laugh about it. From the back..you can not tell.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 AM

I know I do not take after my mother at all. She was 5'3'' and 100 lbs soaking wet. I was bigger than her in all areas at 15 lol.Dark hair, grey eyes, big nose. She says I take after my biological father , couldn't tell ya. Never saw a picture of him. I had honey blond hair, green eyes and a small nose. but a chunky build. I liked the hair eyes and nose I just wish I had been small like her. LOL
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

hmm.. I take more after my father (But he was short and I am taller), I umm have his umm tire belly<GRIN> I do have my mother's broad shoulders tho. Hmmm...
Now our daughters one looks like one side of the family, and the other looks like the other side . amazing how all can be from the same parents but all look differently and be differently !
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM

This one makes me laugh; which side of the family I got what from. First of all let me tell you contrary to popular belief me and my 4 sisters are all normal (well as normal as one can be). This being said; my parents were first cousins so my grandmothers were sisters so I really got my features from both of them with few exceptions. I got height from my mom and my hair from from my mom, my high cheek bones from my dad. We lived in the country and no matter which one of us would go into town people we'd never saw before would say you are Everett's girl. Which use to shock us on how they knew but we couldn't get by with anything. My caring and compassion that my youngest sister and I have for people in general came from our mom without a doubt. It's so funny that with my parents related we do have different features and traits from each of them. I have 5 kids and they all have different traits; some I'm not sure where they came from. I have yet to figure out how at 5' 1/2" I have kids who are close and over 6ft tall. I haven't met anyone on my side or their dad's side for that one. Most of my kids grandkids have the features from me; only one looks like his dad. The high cheek bones, blue eyes and a few with red hair. This is a good question because it makes you think about things you haven't considered or thought about in years.