Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting loads of Joann's coupons? >

Getting loads of Joann's coupons?

Getting loads of Joann's coupons?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 AM

i'm signed up and so is my cat
Are you serious? I busted out laughing! You're too funny!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM

I wish I could shop at Joannes more. I don't like the layout of their online store and prefer the brick and mortar store any day. Unfortunately the closest to me is about 50 minutes away. Costco is out that way too and Wal-Mart, so when we get out there, groceries take presidency. We go every two weeks. By the time I am done shopping with all of that I'm ready to just go home. The few times I have been in Joannes, my DH is always wondering when I'm done within 10 minutes of being in, so not much fun.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Joann's loved me last week, went in on Wednesday bought a pkg. of W&N. Set it in the chair with the quilt top and backing, ready to go to the L.A. on Fri. Got up Thursday A.M. and the monster cat chewed thru the plastic and two layers of batting. Back I went.
I have found that my 80/12 Topstitch, Microtex, or Quilting needles seem to be in short supply at Joann's. This befuddles me one would think they would have a constant/steady supply. Overall my Joann's is a busy store and the core staff continue to stay on board. I'd have to say I am pleased with my store.
The coupons I have been getting since after Christmas have been uninspiring. The best ones seem to come out the day of the predicted blizzard or ice storm.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:00 PM

Interesting topic because I have been getting more emails and coupons also and I can't remember when I shopped there last. I do go online to JA and compare prices but usually can find what I need cheaper elsewhere. I do shop my LQS some. Like others, I don't need much right now. I do have a $20 gift certificate that I got from Santa (thank you gift from my niece and her husband for helping with their girls while she was in the hospital.).

Connie
Old 02-23-2018, 02:14 PM

I've noticed that too. Unfortunately, most of the time either EVERYTHING in the store is on sale, so coupon can't be used, or item on coupon is out of stock, or not available at that store.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:20 AM

Coupons have become so restrictive so it is no fun "trying" to use them anymore. I also have to drive 30 miles to get to larger stores. I have supplies to use up so sometimes it is best to just stay away from these stores - too much temptation.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:42 AM

I noticed how the coupons continue to be issued for different days. This is annoying if one desires to use most of them and have to make more than one trip to take advantage of them. And, yes, the coupons really don't count if the items are on sale. And the savings are not great for the sale items most of the time.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Joanns was not 'bought out' a few years ago. It is still headquartered in Hudson Ohio where the family started the business. What has happened, as with any business, is that they have tried to modernize and keep up with changes in the creative community. This requires bringing in more and newer products and with the limits of size, it means closing out some items...When working in the store, you quickly learn that the new layout of the departments is actually a lot better than the 'olden' days. It is just that it takes folks awhile to adjust if they aren't there daily. Aisles may be a bit narrower but that is because they are trying to get as much product in there for the customers.
Joann's was purchased by a private equity company called Leonard Green & Partners in 2011, and decisions regarding the running of the stores were made at a corporate level. I never shopped there on a daily basis, but I did shop there two or more times a month, and their "modernization" attempts have made shopping there unappealing for me -- I have not found the new layout to be better than the "olden days." They can cram in as much product as they want and throw as many coupons at me as they can, but if I haven't found it any more appealing in the last seven years, I don't think I ever will. I used to love shopping there, but I don't anymore.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:22 AM

I also have been getting more coupons, but as someone said earlier when the better (50% or 60% off) coupons come out everything seems to be on sale at a lesser discount- so the coupon is not applicable. the 2 Joann's nearest me are both 50+ miles away, I don't get there that often, and then to have the coupons good on different days is very disappointing, but I believe this is their way of trying to get you in more often. Being so far away I have to have other errands to do to go that direction, so I don't shop there so much anymore.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:04 PM

I love JoAnn's and their coupons. My problem is that they closed the store close to me and built a "superstore" about 45 minutes away. I used to go in there all the time when it was close by but now the distance and traffic make it difficult. I wish they had kept their smaller stores.