Girl Scout Cookies

Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by dellareya
On Sunday the granddaughter of one of our guild members was at my door selling Girl Scout cookies. Her grandmother was in the car yelling to me I needed to buy lots of cookies. I felt a lot of pressure from her. I bought 3 boxes. After she left I gave them away to family and neighbors. (We can't even kept them in the house)
Today I was talking to my daughter in Virginia. She had to buy a couple of boxes outside the local Walmart. She paid $3.00 a box. I'm in California and paid $4.00 a box. I'm just curious how much do they cost in your area? I'm a little shocked at the cost difference.
I think its time for the Girl Scouts to find something different to sell. Maybe thread, fabric etc...Not only has the price of these cookies gone up, but your getting half the cookies. Here in Arizona they are $4.00.. BTW I didnt buy any this year and dont plan on it.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
My problem is.......when I sold them they were only .50 cents a box!!!!! LOL
Same here!!!

$2 then $2.50 when DD was selling.

$3.50 last weekend when helping friend's granddaughter by sitting with her in front of WM last Saturday along with her friend and that girl's mom.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM

A little girl came to my door a few weeks ago and asked me if I would like to buy any GS cookies. I said sure, and invited her in, it was really icy cold out that evening, she wouldn't come in, her mom was sitting in the car, so I asked her how much they were and she said $3.50 a box. I took the form inside and she stood out there on the porch in the icy windy cold weather until I opened the door and gave her the form back. She said they would be in sometime around February. Haven't heard from her yet, since then. I purchased 4 boxes from the little girl and she said, "Thank You!" She is suppose to call me when they are being delivered. I was a GS once, so I just wanted to help her out!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

$5/box here. I wasn't willing to pay that this year.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM

When I was a Girl Scout I sold them for $2.50...but back then the price of everything was cheaper than it is now...I agree $7.50 is steep, but $3.50 / $4.00 a box is really not that bad. The price of milk has gone up at least $3 since I moved out of my parents house and gas...let's not get started on that...if in 15+ years they have gone up $1-$2 dollars I don't see an issue with the price (as long as they are not $7.50) ;)

Maybe if you want to take the issue up with the GS' maybe write a letter to your local GS counsil?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
That is just nuts!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by sew cornie
That is just nuts!!!
I've wondered if the girls had a more difficult time selling this year with so many people out of work. Kind of a catch-22 I guess. Raise the price to cover the potentially lower sales numbers, but risk losing more sales by doing so. If we weren't really focused on intentional spending and I wasn't in the midst of taking off a few pounds . . . I may have caved and bought some.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM

$4
Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
They are $3.50 here in Iowa. What bothers me about this (gs cookies, magazine sales, etc) is why is it most of the time the parents end up taking these things around to family and work, but the kids never sell any of it. I do understand that most of the time, these things are fundraisers for programs or trips, but what are we teaching the children with it? My rule has always been... I'll buy, but only if I get the speech from the child. Not if its a parent just passing it around at work. I remember walking around the neighborhood as a child and selling magazines. I met a lot of people and it doesn't bother me to talk to people I don't know, is it because I went door to door or is it just my personality??? (I'm not saying door to door is the answer, I realize it isn't as safe for children as it was for me as a kid.)
i agree with you. nothing irritates me more than to see the baseball teams and others just standing outside the doors of a store with their coffee can coin collectors. i won't donate to that. bake some cookies, wash my car - do something!!! that is what is wrong with us today. i don't begrudge anyone that truly needs help whether it be food, clothing etc but to just come right out and beg for money by children is setting a terrible example. they grow up thinking if they want something they don't have to do anything to get it - just keep asking and eventually someone will give it to them!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 PM

I paid $3.50 in Southwest Virginia