Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glass Top Stove

Glass Top Stove

Have a new glass top stove and is very difficult to clean. Have 2 small drips from making peanut brittle and cannot get them off, any suggestions. Have had a different brand of glass top before and not this difficult to clean. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    I use a razor blade held at an angle to scrap my glass top stove, works well. And I use Barkeepers cleanser or Soft Scrub to clean it, with a non scratching scrub pad. Once in awhile I use the made for glass top cleaner. Have had no problems with scratching and been doing this for years.

My stove is a smooth top and I had stuff I couldn't get off even with a razor blade. I found this on Pinterest and it actually works like a charm without too much labor.

1.Bowl & Hot Soapy Water 2.Baking Soda 3.A Cleaning Rag 4.Gloves

Fill a bowl with hot tap water & mix it with some dish soap. Submerge the rag in the bowl and get it wet. Apply baking soda in a generous amount all over the affected area. Now pull out that hot soapy rag out of the bowl and squeeze half the water out. You want it to be soggy, not sopping. Then wait about 15 minutes.
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

I find this all very interesting, because I've always thought I'd rather have a smooth top stove because they'd be so much easier to clean. Guess I should count my blessings (and clean my stove, lol).
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Will give the baking soda a try for next time. I love my smooth top and have been using a thick white liquid that is made for them. One bottle lasts years. But will try the baking soda to see how it does
    Alyce

I use the Barkeep like Clem55. It doesn't hurt the stove top. After cleaning it I take glass cleaner, and the stove top shines!!!
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I have a sharp plastic scraper I use on mine. I place very hot water on hard stuff and let it soften then use the scraper to pop it off. Then I clean it with the cleaner for glass tops and it looks like new.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm so used to cleaning my gas stove after using every time or for last meal of the day, it's nothing for me. Extra 5 whole minutes. DH likes the stove to shine so he helps and hits it with the Windex. Then of course the dogs have to kiss the dog in the reflection of the glass door.

Blog Entries
    I use baking soda and water make a paste and let it sit, comes right off
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

My manual says to use a razor blade. Never scratched the top.
    Marilyn

I ve discovered that I need to mske the bottoms of my pans are clean!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Maybe a paste of cream of tarter, it works on pots and pans, or wt a dryer sheet and let it soak. I use dryer sheets on a burnt pan with hot water. I have avoided the glass top stoves because I have heard so many complain about the cleaning.

Blog Entries
    WEIMAN glass top cleaner
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I have a glass top stove and clean it with hot soapy water on a microfiber cloth and it cleans up very well. If there is sticky dropping like from making butterfinger bars then I just let it set for a while with the hot rag on it. I have vent fan and I stick the greasy mesh metal filter and I just put that in the dish washer to clean it.

Cerama Bryte liquid cleaner and those little yellow scrubs pads that goes with this product. This will polish and protect it and one bottle will last for a year or so. I use one pad about every six months. Do not boil over something with a high sugar content because it could damage your cook top. Good luck!

Glass top stove/ranges are really nice. My sister had one and used it for canning. But one day the glass broke! The dealer said it is not to be used for canning. Maybe newer glass top ranges are, so if you do canning, be sure to find out ahead of time. The new glass cost her $500!!

Sugary spills are the worst on a glass top. I agree with razor blades, then polish with green scrubby pad and baking soda. If you have a regular spill, cover with a wet cloth as soon as the heat dies down, it will soften it up for you.

Never cook before cleaning, it will just harden the spots on there.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I find this all very interesting, because I've always thought I'd rather have a smooth top stove because they'd be so much easier to clean. Guess I should count my blessings (and clean my stove, lol).
    No they are not easier to clean. And I hope no one has one that cracks, scared me to death!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
    Glass top stove/ranges are really nice. My sister had one and used it for canning. But one day the glass broke! The dealer said it is not to be used for canning. Maybe newer glass top ranges are, so if you do canning, be sure to find out ahead of time. The new glass cost her $500!!
    And that's IF you can even get new top, mine was unavailable and we had to buy a new stove. Which I do not like. My old one had an oven top and bottom. New if you want a double oven, you have to sit on the floor!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I use spray on oven cleaner to clean my smooth top. I don't like the model I have so I don't follow the 'must not do' for it. So far nothing has happened, even using a pressure canner this summer.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Be sure to read your manuel, it says not to use windex glass cleaner on the stove top, it will soak through the glass and ruin the top.

I have a glass bottom gas cooktop. I use the Ceramabrite and the Barkeeper's friend to clean it. That surface is easier to clean than the grates.

The smooth top is much easier to clean then one with grates for burners, even the sealed ones. Just like cleaning a countnertop. No pieces to remove. It is the only reason I have one. I want a different model but we are selling the house so no use in replacing it now.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Worst stove top in history, in my opinion. They are extremely hard to clean and if you have a warrantee almost all methods of cleaning them, except what the stores sell, invalidates your warrantee. And the acceptable cleaner doesn't clean.

My next stove will be an old fashioned stove with the round burners. If I can find one without all the dang electronic options, too, that's what I'll buy. The panel for operating the electronic options failed on our stove. It was over $300 to replace it.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Oh wow so many opinions! When we built this house I swore I would never clean another burner bib. The first cooktop lasted over 20 years and we changed it out to a newer one when we remodeled about 4 years ago. I have zero regrets about either one. Not hard to clean in my opinion. Also I don't make candy on mine n
    Alyce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast