Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Glasstop Stove

Blog Entries
    I have a glass top and use the pans that I had which are cast iron and stainless steel also learning to use my pressure pan on it after each use while cleaning kitchen I use bar keeper friend and scrub with a sponge with one of those ruff scrubbie things on it rinse and dry off occasionally I spray with glasscleaner and after sever al years my stove still looks new

Blog Entries
    I had to get pots too, nothing with aluminum on the bottom can be used on the glass stove tops. frustrating. also, Ceramabryte or how ever it's spelled cleans them well.
    Last edited by nativetexan; 01-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.

I have had a white glass top stove for 11 years and cooked 3 meals a day on it, I have canned on it, used all kind of pots on it with no problem. I love it would not want any other kind. I clean it and the bottom of the pans with Bar Keepers Friend each time I use it. It does not scratch. My stove looks new. I get the cleaner at Lowes sometimes you can find it at WM. The cleaner is vey inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    I had a real nice glass cook top stove. I got rid of the stove and kept the pans. The pans have to be perfectly flat on the bottom or they just don't work. The stove cuts out before pop corn is done popping or before water is boiling no matter what pot you use.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

What is a glass stove? Or is it a electric flat and it is called glass? Just wondering. I think I would like it better than this new black stove and refrigerator. The frig is ok but the stove is a horrid thing to have to clean, each piece or air even sticks to it. ugh...congrats on the glass stove. Would love to see a picture of that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Gosh Miriam, maybe you got a "bum" stove. Mine have never done that. I'm on #3. First worked for 25 years. then we remodeled and got new one. That worked great for the 7 + more years til we moved here and I have another one. I am very happy with it. I've been using T Fal pans I got from QVC about 35 years ago when they first came out. they are still in perfect condition. I don't know about frying because while I eat fried food out, I never make it at home. Water boils fast, at least on my 3 samples.
    Have you tried popping corn on yours?
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by sewhat540 View Post
    What is a glass stove? Or is it a electric flat and it is called glass? Just wondering. I think I would like it better than this new black stove and refrigerator. The frig is ok but the stove is a horrid thing to have to clean, each piece or air even sticks to it. ugh...congrats on the glass stove. Would love to see a picture of that.
    Here is a picture
    image glass cooktop stove
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Have you tried popping corn on yours?
    No, I use the microwave, but if I remember will get some popping corn to see. You said yours "cut out"? You mean it turned itself off? That would be a problem.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I had a real nice glass cook top stove. I got rid of the stove and kept the pans. The pans have to be perfectly flat on the bottom or they just don't work. The stove cuts out before pop corn is done popping or before water is boiling no matter what pot you use.
    This is really strange. I've never heard of a stove that "cuts out". Mine would just keep on truckin'. What brand is it?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
    i bought a new maytag glass top not long ago. I was promised by the store rep the top would not turn black on the burner circles. After a while the circles turned black and looked awful. I took a picture and showed sears. I was told so what, it still cooks fine. Not our problem. I contacted maytag and got the same response. I didn't buy the stove to look ugly after use. Maytag and sears lost a customer who changes out appliances often.

i have a white glass top. When i bought mine they said a dark halo might eventually form around most used burners. When i have burned on stuff i use a single edge razor knife then use baking soda and a mr. Clean sponge or equivalent, as they are pricy, to finish the job. Works great. I use whatever pans i had. Moisten your sponge and make a paste of the baking soda. It is non abrasive.

Two glass top stoves broken, first, son was steaming a cowboy hat,ha, using a porcelin (sp) tea kettle, fused to top and as it cooled the top cracked. Second one broke when using corningware pan boiling eggs, again broke when pan fused to top & broke when cooling. Both these were used with medium to low heat. (I always used bleach to keep my tops white), Third was a glass top with burners above the glass top, and it lasted longest. All these were top of the line units. Loved to cook on them but I would be very cautious as to the pans I use.

Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    Just curious- can the black rings not be removed with glass-top stove cleaner? I've had a GE glass top stove for over 10 years and have not had this happen. Not to say they don't get burned on areas, but it cleans up following the instructions with the stove, including a razor blade to scrap off the most stubborn areas.
    I sprinkle baking soda on top of the black marks & then lay a dish towel soaked in super hot soapy water on top. Let it sit for 10 min or so and wipe up. Don't scrub it just wipe it off. If needed use another towel to wash the soda off. Works for me. I got a bottle of stove top cleaner when I bought it but the smell was so bad I looked for another way to clean it & found the baking soda method on Pinterest.

I was always a little afraid of my Mother's gas stove. I used to have an electric stove with elements. Pots used to boil over and after a while the pans underneath started to rust. I hated it. I love my ceramic top stove. It cleans up so nicely and I love cooking on it. I mostly use my Le Creuset pots which do a great job for me.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

I agree that the Calphalon pans are best - on any stovetop. The old Teflon pans are not that healthy for us to use, due to the flaking off.

I don't know if you do any canning, but if you do, please check to see if you can use your new glass top stove for canning. My sister didn't know that her glass top stove was not tempered for canning and it cracked. Replacing the glass top cost her around $500. Now, she does her canning outdoors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2