Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glasstop Stove

Blog Entries

Glasstop Stove

I bought new fridge & stove. Never owned a glass top stove before. I'll need to buy new pots , so which ones do I buy. I've always bought non-stick before & I do like them, any ideas. A few years ago I bought a good set of non-stick, they are going to the thrift store.
    Looking forward to getting my new French door fridge. I really hate my black one. Seems I'm always cracking my head on the freezer door handle and 8 years is long enough to know I'll never get used to it. Before I've always had a side by side. No room here for one.
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    why do you need new pots & pans?
    are the ones you have worn out?
    or are you worried about their weight?

i didn't buy new when i got a glass-top range.
    i just trained myself to be more careful with the ones i had/have.
    as long as you don't slam them down on the burners or drag them around the surface, they should be just fine.

I had to get new pots and pans for my glass top stove as the old ones didn't sit flat on the surface. Buy the kind you prefer. Be careful with cast iron due to weight.

I use castiron on mine. As long as it doesn't crash onto the glass, its fine.

I use cast iron skillets on my top, too. I have had Teflon or non stick skillets but they seem to warp over time.

I bought a new Maytag glass top not long ago. I was promised by the store rep the top would not turn black on the burner circles. After a while the circles turned black and looked awful. I took a picture and showed Sears. I was told So What, it still cooks fine. Not our problem. I contacted Maytag and got the same response. I didn't buy the stove to look ugly after use. Maytag and Sears lost a customer who changes out appliances often.
    I love my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I bought a new Maytag glass top not long ago. I was promised by the store rep the top would not turn black on the burner circles. After a while the circles turned black and looked awful. I took a picture and showed Sears. I was told So What, it still cooks fine. Not our problem. I contacted Maytag and got the same response. I didn't buy the stove to look ugly after use. Maytag and Sears lost a customer who changes out appliances often.
    Just curious- can the black rings not be removed with glass-top stove cleaner? I've had a GE glass top stove for over 10 years and have not had this happen. Not to say they don't get burned on areas, but it cleans up following the instructions with the stove, including a razor blade to scrap off the most stubborn areas.
    Last edited by suern3; 01-07-2016 at 03:46 PM.

I don't understand why you can't use your "good set of non-stick pans". My glass top doesn't require special pans, other than a warped pan will be hard to use on the flat surface. I use various kinds of pans including Revere Wear with aluminum bottoms, Caphalon(sp) and cast iron. The only thing I know of that you can't use is glass pans which I don't know if they even make anymore.

I had to buy several new pans when I got a glass top, because a lot of mine had deformed in the heat over the years and had curved bottoms. They were good quality pans too - it just happens.

Pans are something I think you mostly get what you pay for, so if you cook a lot be prepared to spend a lot. If you hardly ever cook, you should hardly spend anything. I really enjoy cooking so I buy pans one at a time so I can get nice ones without breaking the bank. My collection is mostly Calphalon and All-Clad but I'll buy any brand that seems sturdy and well-made. They don't match but they're all very functional!

(I don't use non-stick so I don't have any specific recommendations, sorry!)

CRO
    I use cast iron almost exclusively on mine with no problem

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I also use cast iron with no problem

My mother used cast iron on hers too.

Blog Entries
    i didn't buy new either. a couple of my pans are far from flat, but they still cooked fairly well. i love the smooth surface. i use Bar Keepers Friend to keep it looking good
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I'm on my third glass top. First one was in great shake but we remodeled. The new one was fine too. Now I have a drop in glass top range and have used the same pots on all three. Son has glass top induction and that requires certain pans. Or should I say some pans won't work on it.
    Alyce

If you have an induction glass top, stove you need new pans if you don't have conductive metal pans. I opted for a regular glass top stove because I have some of the old corning ware pans that I can use on the stove top and didn't want to get rid of them. On my new stove top, all my old pans (Teflon, ceramic, stainless steal and copper bottom) work just fine. I have more trouble adapting to an electric range (before I moved to our new house I had been using a gas range for over 30 years).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about what kind of pans but clean it immediately even if it is just water droplets. My friend has one and it looks great, another looks awful because she didn't wipe up water when she first owned it
    Patski
    always learning

I was told to not use cast iron on my glass top stove. I don't know the reason unless it could scratch the surface?? I'm still using my Lifetime waterless pots and pans that are 50 years old. I get a little suspicious of surfaces that peel with use and time. Some of the skillets with those coatings have warped, too.

Blog Entries
    I also have a glass top and love it. I use mostly stainless steel and cast iron. Either one works great but I like the cast iron best.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

I love T-Fal cookware best. It is not real expensive but good grade and a set has the size pans that I need. I do not cook on high heat very often so they last a long time.

I have a black glass top with rings. The rings are under the glass not on top of the glass. I use my usual pots but I did have to get rid of a few that wobbled. No idea why they are there but being black it doesn't bother me. The thing that does bother me is my fridge won't hold a 2 liter coke or a gallon milk jug anywhere but the narrow door shelf. Next fridge, I am taking in an empty bottle and testing it before I purchase.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have two glass top stove (2 houses) and use regular pans on both of them. Never had a problem.

I've had my glass top for about 10 years and love it. Didn't buy new cookware - pots and pans should be flat and not rounded up on the bottom. Other than that anything should work - I even can on mine and really shouldn't but I do. Enjoy your new stove.

I used a glass top stove for over 20 years with the pots I had been using for the previous 30 years. Never had a problem. Note: I have been using the same pots for 57 years. Good pots do not wear out. Use the movey to buy more fabric. I use the fabric up.

Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    Just curious- can the black rings not be removed with glass-top stove cleaner? I've had a GE glass top stove for over 10 years and have not had this happen. Not to say they don't get burned on areas, but it cleans up following the instructions with the stove, including a razor blade to scrap off the most stubborn areas.
    The top is gray with the heat elements a lighter gray. The black coloration looks awful on the light gray. I've tried every cleaner even industrial ones. Maytag told me this was common and nothing will remove the black coloration but will not interfere with the heat temp. I will buy a new cooktop to replace this one when we sell the house. Right now I enjoy abusing the top to see how much it can take. LOL
    I love my life!

My sister got one of those real expensive pot for her wedding in 1954. She still has it and it still looks like new. I have wanted on like that ever since. So when I was 80 years old, I bought a water-less cookware set. I sooooo love it. Should have bought 60 years ago. And I do use my cast iron frying pans on my glass top stove. I think the thing that can happen is that if you drop them, the glass can break. I have seen a broken stove top.

As for using old pots and pans on a glass top stove, they need to be perfectly flat on the bottom. Take a ruler and hold the edge against the bottom to test it. If the bottom isn't flat, you are wasting heat.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast