Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Going to North Carolina--Outer Banks >
  • Going to North Carolina--Outer Banks

• Going to North Carolina--Outer Banks

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Marye
    If you are on I 85 toward Charlotte you have Mary Jos. in Gastiona . Great place.
    Yes! If you are anywhere close, you HAVE to go to Mary Jo's. Be prepared to spend some time there though. If you're at all like me, you'll need it. If you're going to Camp Lejeune, Morehead City and Beaufort are close. These towns are beautiful and are worth seeing. Beaufort is the third oldest town in NC and is very walkable. Great seafood and B&Bs too. There's a quilt shop in Morehead too. I think the name is Sew it Seams. It's right on the main street. This part of town is pretty blah, but the waterfront is pretty. I really hope you have a great time. NC has been my home for most of my life. I spent a lot of time in Morehead as a child since my grandmother lived there. Welcome!
    Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Yes! Go to the Outer Banks. I haven't been in about 3 years, but I love going. Everyone is friendly and the beaches are pretty peaceful. They are not packed with people like some beaches.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:53 PM

since you are heading for lajune head for the outer banks by way of the ferry from Cedar Island to Occracoke - and be sure to stop at Howards Pub (great food - neat spot) also in occraoke is a graveyard that holds several British sailors killed during WWII and is official British soil - be aware that this is a 2.5 hour ferry ride and then another couple hours on up to Nags Head but the scenry is fantastic - you will pass several light houses and beautiful beaches and fasinating places where the ocean has washed across these HUGE dunes and over the road during the winter - a day well spent
    Below are a couple links for sight seeing you may find helpful - enjoy!
    http://www.historicalbemarletour.org/
    http://www.ncaquariums.com/
    http://www.ncmaritimemuseums.com/
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Marye
    If you are on I 85 toward Charlotte you have Mary Jos. in Gastiona . Great place.
    Yes, be sure to go to Mary Jo's. It's a wonderful fabric store!!
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM

First, I'd suggest contacting Mimisharon on this board. She is from Jacksonville (jome of Camp LeJeune) and I believe still works part-time at one of the 3 quilt shops in Jacksonville.

Places I'd recommend seeing would be: Shackleford Banks- it's only inhabitants are the 100-125 wild Spanish mustangs that are decendants of the explorers of colonial America. The Tryon Palace in New Bern which is the birthplace of Pepsi Cola. Any and/or all of the lighthouses Ocracoke, Cape Lookout or Cape Hatteras lighthouse and the Wright Brothers museum.

I don't know when your coming but the Azalea Festival is in Wilmington the weekend of April 8th. Eastern NC is a great place to visit. All of the beaches are beautiful. Depending on when you are coming the weather may be great. This week it's a bit chilly. But I see you are from Wisconsin so my chilly and yours are probably two different things.

Have a great visit.